Leffe Blonde | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Read the review
Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Reviews: 1,346 | Ratings: 3,764
4.52/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a bottled into a belgian style tulip glass. Nice head formation torward the top of the glass. Citrus and Coriander on the nose. Formed tiny (champagne like) bubbles that lasted until I was done with this 11.2 oz bottle (not long). Nice lace. Smooth and well balanced. Wonderful golden color. Easy to drink. Perfect summertime beer.

4.51/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap in Paris.

Very clean, pale beer with a brief, 1 finger head. Extremely clean, smooth taste that completely hides the higher ABV. Very little hop character, but not too malty.
Overall a very clean, smooth, and easygoing beer.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Another of the many biers my wife brought me from her trip to France (thank you, honey!). I was disappointed because she was limited to how much she could bring home and she accidentally bought two of these. However...

Poured a sweet nutty brown with a great foamy head which lasted forever (seemed like it anyway). Smells of citrus and a hint of bannana. Taste definitely proved my nose correct with the bannana and fruityness. Almost had a Hefe feel and taste to it. Maybe that's why I liked it so much. I couldn't get enough of this. I am so glad I had a full liter of it. Oh wait, and I have another. Thank God for mistakes!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

This beer falls into the "boy am I glad I bought this" category. Being a bit of a purist "Reinheitsgebot-ist" when it comes to malt beverages, I am not a real fan of Belgian beers. So when I saw the display of Abbey de Leffe at the local store, I was attracted first to the amazing packaging. But the BA reviews were good, so I tried it. Absolutely loved it. Rich, clear golden color with massive, foamy head that lasted and lasted (and then laced the glass all the way down). The spicy clove/banana hops hits your nose immediately, but subtlely. And the taste is reminiscient of the best Belgian white beers, but filtered to a smooth, bubbly gold and not too sweet. Extremly drinkable and one of the few I've enjoyed right down to the last swallow. Exceptional. I think I'll have another.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Aroma: lots of clove, nice sweet fruity aroma as well (juicy fruit)

Appearance: Clean/clear golden color, small clean bubbles, white foamy head

Flavor: Spicy, (clove and pepper). The small bitterness, medium alcohol and med-high carbonation dry out this beer which I think would otherwise be considered sweet.
Still has the overall impression of sweet (which is balanced with the high spice) and the slowly drying finish, slight alcohol warming.

Mouth feel
Medium-Full, creamy, and a dry bubbly feel,

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

poured a clear golden color with a three finger white head with a easy pour that held to a half inch with a spotty lace. first whiff is of banana aroma that turns to clove and spice. taste, all i could think of was easter ham studed with clove, clove and spice predominate the taste. medium mouthfeel with good carbonation, lots of bubbles coming up through the beer. maybe not the best but still tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

I have been enjoying Leffe Blonde for awhile. I first discovered it while pub hopping in London last year. It was different from the other great English draft ales that I had been drinking. Back in the USA, I noticed that it was available at Taco Mac in Atlanta. Fortunately I had to return to Europe on business this spring and got to drink Leffe Blonde at Heathrow Airport, Amsterdam, and best of all in Brugges (Belgium). There is an Irish pub next to the Crown Plaza there that had Leffe Blonde on tap and it was truly excellent. My associates and I sampled many different trappist ales while in Belgium, but Leffe Blonde was available in most bars and we loved it! Some people are voicing negative opinions about this beer because it is now being distributed internationally by a large cartel. If that enables me to enjoy it more often in Atlanta, then I can't view that as a bad thing. Try Leffe Brun-its even better!

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

Didn't really know what to expect, as this was an Interbrew product and we all know they are seen as devils in the brewing community. I have had a few other Leffe products and really enjoyed them. This one pours out to a clear yellow-golden, forming a nice-sized rocky white head with very good retention and excellent lacing. Carbonation is moderate...not quite as brisk as many other triples/Belgian Pales, which is fine with me. The aroma is crisp and clean with vanilla, honey, cantaloupe, and cloves. Slight mineral profile in the nose. Deceivingly light powdery body with a very weak saccharin syrupiness, but not at all distracting. Dry finish with sharp mineral notes. The taste is like the aroma...lots of cantaloupe and honey, mild apricot and orange with a very mild grassy bitterness towards the end, finishing with big tropical fruits and cloves peppered throughout. Alcohol is not noticeable in flavor or aroma. Grass lingers in the aftertaste. Well-balanced middle sweetness and late hops bitterness. Drinkability is very nice.

This is probably the easiest to drink Belgian Pale that I've had that doesn't skimp on flavor, dumb down for the masses, or deviate from the style. Thoroughly refreshing, and it doesn't cause palette fatigue (unlike Unibroue products...despite being awesome, I can only drink so many) Highly recommended.

4.49/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm shocked at the bros rating. This should not be rated and put on the same level as the American light beer that really taste like water and not beer.
Because It's a really good beer. It's smooth and very drinkable. It's not the best for its style which I think is Duvel. But this is the Best beer in this style for the price. You can get a 6 for 8.99$ . If you're looking to explore Belgian ales this beer is a great place to start.
Color is what you want! Gold perfection. Tastes and smells like malty banana nutty and little caramel notes. Nothing funky or weird going on. Just greatness and smooth. Would like to try this on tap.

Drank on-tap at the Thirsty Scholar Pub, Somerville, MA

Poured a clear, straw yellow with a small, foamy head that faded to a thick ring of lace.

Aroma was fruity and sweet. Ripe fruits (strawberries and raspberries) were apparent, along with candied sugar and some cotton candy-like qualities.

Taste was sweet (almost honey-like) and fruity on the front end. Some candied sugar was apparent in taste as well. Yeast became quite noticeable mid-palate, along with citrus fruits (orange and lemon peel) and spices (coriander and clove). Clean, refreshing finish with a fair amount of hoppiness.

Rich, buttery, syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability was outstanding. This beer was sweet and flavorful, yet quite well balanced. Furthermore, the alcohol was not at all detectable. One of the most sessionable Belgiums I have had to date.

Photo of
4.49/5  rDev +25.1%

This is a delicious Belgian. I had the bottle type and I poured it into a pilsner glass a little too quickly and the head was enormous. On my second round I chose the classic pint glass and the head was a bit more tame but so was my pour. The color is of the deep golden viriety and there was about 1 inch of head. It smelled sweet and malty and possible had some citrus notes. It seemed heavier on the malt and the hops were drowned out. Carbonation was present but not overpowering. The smell convinces you the taste will be smooth and on the sweeter side. This is not a heavy ale but its look is deceiving. It was filling but was an easy pint to finish. There was lacing left the entire way up the glass. I'd gladly have another.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

Served in a very slender, subtly seductive foiled bottle. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a hazy pale blond color with an impressive inch- thick head, which lulls into a quarter inch in about a minute, leaving thick, patchy lacing. This stuff looks appetizing.

S - The first thing I notice is a spicy Belgo-yeast, then faint grassy hops, slight citrus, and maybe honey?

T - Sharp grassy hops in between a delightful sweet chorus of banana, bubble gum, possibly coriander and honey. There's almost a peppery quality to it.

M - Mellow carbonation and a pleasantly light body make this very drinkable.

O - If you're a fan of Belgians, this one is definitely worth a peek.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Crystal clear and golden - OK, they cheat and filter it so don't really deserve a lot of praise for the clarity but nevertheless a rich and appetising colour. A nice. bright white Belgian lace head which lasts well.

S: Malty with hints of honey and fruit.

T: Full of rich malty flavour. The aftertaste is honey and there is some nice floral and earthy complexity - probably from the yeast strain used. The hop bitterness balances the beer well, though the taste is definitely on the sweeter side.

M: Rich and fluffy with a fairly high level of carbonation.

D: Highly quaffable. The taste is clean enough that you could happily drink this all night.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a big fan of Belgium ales but at $4.oo for 750ml how could I resist. This bottle had a Champaign cork that came out with minimal effort.

Poured a nice deep golden yellow with a huge white head that left lots of lace on the glass.

Aroma was sweet with a bit of sour but the fruit was definitely up front.

Carbonation was just right. The yeast flavor was minimal and not sour.

Like Belgium ales it was complex with light fruit (banana) a touch of sour, a sweetness others my find too much but not me. For me the sweetness balanced well with the tart. Great balance of hops and malt with neither dominating the other.

I was really surprised how much I liked this beer and would recommend it to anyone wanting to try Belgium for the first time.

4.48/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer tastes as good as it looks. I do have to admit that I was a little disappointed that maize was used as an adjunct but given my love fro this beer I'll overlook it. The pour finished with a white creamy head that looks every bit as good as the advertisements. The taste was smooth and malty with a nice hop balance. This is the kind of beer you can have with pizza or a nice filet mignon. Excellent!

4.47/5  rDev +24.5%

Leffe Blonde has a medium, cream-colored, fluffy head and a clear, golden-orange appearance with lots of streaming bubbles and thin lacing. The aroma is of coriander and cloves, and the taste is of cloves, coriander, bananas, corn bread, cracker, and other unknown flavors. The mouthfeel is medium, and Leffe Blond finishes pleasant, refreshing, mild, and delicious. Overall, this is an excellent beer, and I think you should rush out and buy it!

4.45/5  rDev +24%

While I haven't tried nearly all the beers of this style, I can't imagine them being much better than this one. To me this beer has a near ideal balance of sweetness, light hop bitterness, esters, & spiciness flavor. The smell is banana, clove, & bubblegum while the appearance is a clear, medium gold. I must admit that I find this beer to be better than most that have reviewed it, but that is OK as it is staple in my refrigerator.

4.45/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

330ml brown bottle poured into a Leffe chalice.

A. Gold coloured ale topped by a soapy/foamy white head.

S. Orangey, candy floss sweet aroma. One or two more citrus notes. Fresh strawberries.

T. Malty, sweet honey, candy floss, traces of dried fruit stones, slightly carbonated. A nice hop kick at the finish.

M. Medium bodied.

D. A really enjoyable Abbey beer (even if it is a commercial one) and along with a couple of other lighter coloured beers is a great summer thirst quencher.

4.45/5  rDev +24%

I had this beer on tap when I was in Belgium for work. I ordered a Duvel as that was the only Belgian beer I had had at that point. They were out of it, so they suggested Leffe as an alternative. Wow - I immediately fell in love with it. It's got a nice round, bold taste. I especially enjoy the drinkability - it is very smooth in the mouth and then goes down very easy.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this from a friend who only drinks Belgians. I drank this in a Kasteel glass.

Pours an almost clear deep gold with a faint orange tint. One finger head of white foam which drops to islands and a ring. Not much lacing. A little disappointed in that.

Aroma is real fruity; tropical fruits like mangoes and pineapple. Maybe some citrus. Slightly phenolic, but not strong. A little spicy. No real discernable hop aroma, but some bready pale malts are in there.

Tastes of sweet mangoes, pineapples, tart lemons and oranges. Spicy black pepper and other spices. Nice bready/yeasty malt base, and just enough hop bitterness for balance. I like this! Alcohol is present as it warms. Aftertaste is a very long and really pleasant fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. Carbonation is soft, with a luxurious sweetness filling your whole mouth. I cannot get over how smooth this beer is!

At 6.6% ABV, this will hurt you. But, it is so smooth and drinkable, I bet you can't drink just one!

4.44/5  rDev +23.7%

This pours an orangish color with a long lasting creamy head. It has a spicy malted nose that is just wonderful. This beer has an excellent taste that is well complemented by the creamy mouthfeel. The taste is malty with a pleasant and enjoyable hop undertone.

4.44/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served into a medium glass from a 330ml bottle. There is a lot of foam, lacing, stays for a long time... The colour is amazing, is darket than a regular lager, is thick that's present. Taste delicious, very malty, honey straight away, sweet some lemon aftertaste, I can't describe that amount of shapes and surfaces on a drink. I makes me, I don't need more, maybe an hamder average but it stills ok is 6.6% wowww. Very drinkable beer with the propper belgian flavour and carbonation, never say no to this trendy choice!!! Njoy

4.44/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A consistently dismissed beer due to ownership by InBev. Pity because Leffe Blonde is an excellent example of the style. "Better" abbey blondes generally have too much of everything for my tastes. I'm looking for something with the requisite Belgian esters that's also lighter, crisper and with less of a lingering mouth-feel than a beer like a St Feuliien blonde -- and Leffe delivers as well as any in the style. As a non-sweet beer drinker, this beer is sweeter (to me) than most any beer that I consistently drink with flavors reminiscent of candy corn. But the sweetness is pleasant as it is balanced by a slight acidity and wheat-flavored undertones. A winner. InBev or not.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the best beers I have sampled in a long time. The aroma of cookies, lemon and bananas greet the nose and a nice balance between sweetness and astringency is evident in the taste.

Leffe Blonde wonderfully complements a quiet evening of reading or music listening.

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

One of my favourites, if not my favourite. served on tap in the leffe glass.
Appearance was a deep amber colour with a slight touch of cloudiness but 90% clear.
Smell was lovely simple but present.
Flavour was a soft lovely touching on sweet maltiness, simple yet magnificent. very well hidden 6.6 percent abv.
Mouthfeel was a thick aleish one, quite noice.
Drinkability is so good except the price. thats pretty much it.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.