Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Leffe Blonde | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Ratings: 3,949 |  Reviews: 1,398

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber copper in color with a thin white head and a lot of carbonation.

Smell: Smell of wheat and cloves.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth and light bodied. Well balanced. Mostly cloves and banana flavors up front with a hint of grass.

Overall: Not my first choice at all, but credit were due. I personally don't care for the overwhelming clove flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was "highly recommended" by one of my friends. I hope she doesn't let me down

A- I don't know if I'd call it an explosion of head but I didnt get the whole bottle into my pint glass. Golden color as expected with 3 inches of white head that didnt fall back too quickly

S- Belgian yeast BIG TIME nothing else stuck out of the nose for me.

T- Some candied fruit flavors come through but the belgian yeast just dominates everything

M- A little less carbonation could go a long way

O- Keeping in mind this is a BPA it's quite good. I however am not a fan of the style and likely won't put any more of my money towards this one

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

I picked up a six pack of Abbaye de Leffe's Leffe Blonde today for $8.89 at Liquor King. I was surprised to find this beer at a place that doesn't have a great beer selection, in a sea of crappy beer this Belgian Blonde caught my eye, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a Tulip.

A- The label is pretty simple but it has a nice clean look to it, it poured a pretty clear golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden color when held to the light with four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick rocky layer that stayed till the end and left lot's of nice lacing. This was really good looking beer that had lots of nice head.

S- The aroma starts off with light biscuit and bread like aromas along with some sweet grains, those aromas quickly give way to a large amount of Belgian yeast that imparts a very dominating banana aroma followed by all those typical spices that come with the Belgian yeast with the clove and a little bit of nutmeg sticking out the most. The aroma is nice and full of bananas and spices, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma, it starts of with some sweet, bready, and biscuity malts that have a higher amount of sweetness. After that comes a pretty big banana flavor that is followed by all those Belgian yeast spices that I picked up in the aroma. Towards the end there's some more sweetness with hardly any bitterness and a sweet banana and slightly spicy aftertaste. The flavors are good but it was a little too sweet for my taste.

M- Fairly smooth, a little chewy, a little sticky, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it got to be a little too sticky.

Overall I thought this was a goof beer and an above average example of the style, it was full of flavor with the Belgian yeast really dominating all aspects of this brew. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but the higher amount of sweetness and stickyness would prevent me from having a bunch, three in a sitting is enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was it's appearance and aroma, they were both pretty good with lots of nice head and a pretty bold aroma. What I liked least about this beer was the higher amount of sweetness and the slightly sticky mouthfeel, if the sweetness was a toned down a little it would for sure improve this beer. I would buy this beer again when looking for something cheap and flavorful but I don't think I will be keeping it in the fridge that often, I recommend giving it a try, it may make for a good gateway into the style. All in all I thought this was a good beer for what it was and it was a much better choice then all the other beer available at that store, this is one solid Belgian Blonde.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%

A - huge amount of head on this thing, like other Belgian beers. White with only a slight orange hint. Body is clear as day and a yellow wheat color. Very strong, beautiful lacing.

S - Belgian yeast, banana, and clove. Pretty average and the low point of this beer.

T - Nice sweet...I don't know...Belgiumness? Cloves, banana bread, and malts.

M - Great carbonation and solid body. Nice all around. A little buttery on the finish.

O - A great Belgian beer. Sweet and just what you look for to compliment that yeast. One of my go-to's.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

2.91/5  rDev -18.3%

Booooring. This is like a macro Belgian that has mass appeal by being very basic and inoffensive. It's yeasty and crisp. Mild fruity notes, etc. I see this beer featured in Belgian Beer classes at the Total Wine over here and I guess it should be there because it is famous and a decent introductory Belgian, but for me, if I'm looking for a Belgian, I'm looking for a bigger one. If I'm looking for something lighter, I'm going with a lager or something I can session. As such, Leffe doesn't work for me.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.
Beer rating: 3.56 out of 5 with 3,949 ratings