Leffe Blonde | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Read the review
Leffe BlondeLeffe Blonde

Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Reviews: 1,347 | Ratings: 3,767
2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

This is a very clear golden colored ale with a tall white layer of thick froth. It has a lot of visible active carbonation with good retention and lacing.
The aroma is sweet and has the distinctive Belgian yeasty smell.
The flavor was a little bit of a letdown. It begins a bit watery then hits you with sugar and a bit of citrus followed by a slight alcohol presence. The overall sugary feel to it doesn’t do it for me.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

This stuff is all over Italy. Probably my staple Belgian while I'm here. Paid 1.50 euro for a bottle.

Smells a bit musty, sharp but light hops, floral, maybe a bit of bubblegum. Bubblegum is a bit more noticeable with the taste. A bit sticky with syrupy sweetness, bitter aftertaste. Not much hop in the taste. Mouthfeel is a bit watery and fizzy, but overall ok. Admittedly I'm drinking this a bit warmer than normal.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

From notes of an unfortunately copious amount of this garbage consumed in France last December…

Sweet, thin watery gunk. Typically Leffe yeasts and sugars are more pronounced than the barley or hops. Bleigh! Macro sugar water with a nice carbonation stream. Clear gold body with a fluffy, light head. Smells slightly medicinal and almost fruity but leaves me wanting more in all categories.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Isn't it always a shame when you try a beer you haven't had in a long time, and you remember it used to seem a lot better? Ah well, I suppose that's the downside of discovering and learning more about beer...

This clear, light golden ale smells initially of earth and grass, with mild fruit entering the nose as well. The flavor profile is of gentle, rounded malt with a slight mineral twang. Mild notes of sweetness and bitterness play on the medium finish. Sure, it doesn't offer too much, but it doesn't ask too much either.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought a sixer of this stuff at a beer store where everything was overpriced, thinking "what's one buck more when I can get a real Belgian?" I remembered trying this for the first time at Monk's Cafe in Philly and being very impressed.

Maybe I was just excited to be at Monk's, or maybe this beer's just better on tap, but man, what a let down. This beer's just average. LOOKS great on its way into the glass; very carbonated, and produces a light, puffy head. Smells like a Belgian Pale ale, but no particularly unique aromatic characteristics. Tastes... like a pale ale, albeit a malty Belgian pale ale. What startles me is the sour aftertaste. It's not a good green apple sour, but more like an apple juice gone bad sour.

I won't rule out buying this on tap againa, but I sure don't plan on buying it in the bottle again anytime soon.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

had a nice bronze color when i poured it. the head was almost completely gone by the time i set the bottle down.

i didn't get any strong aromas off it, but what i could get was slightly yeasty and perhaps even slight citrus.

got an initial bite of sweetness or tang. its pretty smooth for the most part. aftertaste is slightly bitter, not much, and dry.

it was pretty light body and sort of tingled the tongue with the carbonation.

i'd have to say its okay, nothing spectacular. it isn't something i would go out of my way to get again. the further down i got in this the less and less i enjoyed it. to the point where i was disappointed i still have the rest of the six pack to go.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

330ml bottle bought from Sainsbury's...

Poured a light golden yellow colour... White head disappeared almost instantly...

Aroma - Slight saltiness, lemony, traces of clove, vanilla, some corn notes, light spices..

Taste – Slightly sweet maltiness, citrusy notes, some nuttiness, peppery, earthy, light hops...

Feel - Quite sharp. Light / Medium body... Pretty drinkable...

Overall - An OK beer.... Worth a try...

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leffe Blonde pours into my Leffe chalice glass a deep blonde color, with large white head of large bubbles. Left the appropriate and expected lacing. The smell is quite yeasty and I got a bit of a soap smell as well. The aroma could have more spices or something, but it was pretty much just sour yeast. It is much the same on the taste. Lots of yeast flavors, with not alot of anything else coming through. Dry aftertaste, with a bit of hoppy finish. Lots of carbonation, so leaves a crisp tingle on the tongue. Above average, but lots of better Belgians out there.

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%

This is the beer that got me started on Belgians. I had several in France on tap, where this is as common as Bud.
Have been buying it in the bottle here in CT...it's just not the same....it's good though , and worth a try, I think.
Clear gold...big frothy head, settles to 1/2 in.
Smells like clove , yeast , fruit.
Tastes all the above...pretty complex..a little hop coming through and a good amount of sugar..with a bubblegum hint..not too much....gets better with a little rise in temp.
Mouthfeel is medium ...carbonation medium.
Drinkable, I think...I could easily have a few.
I agree with the other reviews that they should not clean this up so much....but it's still a very good Belgian Blonde.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a clear medium yellow with a one finger yellow tinged head that is fairly thick and reasonably well retained, but not the sort of billowing lasts-forever cloud of foam that I always hope for when having a beer of this style. Smells of sharp spices like pepper and cloves, with fruity notes, sweetness, and an alcoholic tone as well. Tastes mostly of malts and snd spiced fruits, with hops and an alcohol bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is reasonably thick, but a bit too clean. Drinkablilty is solid, but not particularly impressive. This isn't a bad beer, but I feel like they've sterilized it too much, and it just doesn't cut it for me.

4.02/5  rDev +12%

Poured this blond into a 0.4 liter short-stemed beer chalice. Creamy off-white head that has lots of lacing and sticks to the side of the glass like a champ. Excellent bubble column rising up throught the center of the glass. Color is burnt golden. The smell is mesquite honey and cloves with a slight hint of eucalyptus. A great aromatherapy beer. Taste is sweet fading to nutmeg and finishing with pure honey. Great texture attributed to micro carbonation. Great starter beer or reverse-spacer beer in a session. This blondie drops the laundry, I'm impressed.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Got this beer as part of the holiday pack that included the Hoegaarden and Stella, and I wanted to give it a try. I tend to prefer witte/white ales from Belgium over this style, since I like the subtle flavors and smooth drinkability of them. After sampling the Leffe Blonde, it's apparent that this style is not the same, nor quite what I expected in anticipation.

Lots of head on this pour, and the beer itself had a nice golden straw color to it. The bubbles quickly settled and there wasn't much lacing as I tasted my sample. Not as much of a body to it as I thought there would be either - very maltly, with just a few citrus, straw, and clove hints to it. Unfortunately, I didn't feel much of any depth or enjoyable aftertaste to it. The lingering "bitterness" was more of an excuse to take another sip, and this beer just wasn't that filling or enjoyable on more than a basic level for me. Maybe I've become too accustomed to the American Pale Ales, but there was something about this that just didn't grow on me as I worked my way through my sampling.

This wouldn't be a terrible brew for a night out but it doesn't have any matching potential for food, in my opinion, and there wasn't much about it that stood out. It's certainly old-fashioned, and for more modern tastes like mine, this was worth a try and not much else...

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

2+ year old bottle rescued from Dad's basement. Crisp, clear amber yellow pour with a 2 inch head of white fluff that settles a bit too quickly, leaving delicate, lacey artwork.

Aroma is sweet honey malts, candi sugar, pear, melon, and spicey yeast and clove.

Flavor is a delicate medley of honey drenched golden fruits, strong yeast and spice, with a delicately hopped finish with notions of wildflowers and peppery Saaz. Alcohol seems more like 8 % than 6.6 %.

Body is just barely medium, very slick and crisp, with a soft texture and light, pinpoint carbonation. Should rate higher IMO.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Standard amber hue. It does have a decent head at the start, but it doesn't live until the end. this is probably due to the lower than expected carbonation. While it's around though, there's some decent lacing on the glass.

Nose is quite fragrant and sweet. Aromas of butterscotch, caramel and Belgian candy sugar, which however start to overpower a little too much. this means the nose becomes a bit unbalanced, especially for the style where you're not expecting something sickly.

Taste is quite sweet on the front palate, but quickly turns bitter and dry, with lingering volatiles and phenols. The aftertaste lasts for a long time, and I wish it ended sooner. Mouthfeel very weak and thin.

I feel like it should be better than it is. I might revisit it, but this time it ended up drinking like a very bland beer.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured a dark orange with a nice puffy head. Smell is of caramel, and burnt sugar. Taste is quite nice, essence of caramel, pears and prunes make their way down the palate. Mouthfeel is delicate, very smooth, carbonation is very minimal which makes this ever so easy to drink. Nice drink to relax with at night after a big meal.

1.6/5  rDev -55.4%

This beer looked totally normal at first, golden color had little head to it, and smelled kinda sweet. To my surprise when I drank it, this is the worst beer I have ever had period, maybe it is just me I don´t like sweet beer but this was terrible I did not take a mouthful or drink more than first touched my tounge on first sip. NOT for those who don´t like sweet beer. BAD BAD BAD

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Nice light fluffy head appears with the pour. Very clear. Sweet smell emanates from the glass- sort pear like. I think this is a nice tasting beer, well balanced with fuit and a candy-like presence. It's extremely easy to drink. It's not a rich beer by any means, but stands up to spicey food or can be had nicely on it's own.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A - 1/4" slightly off-white foamy head. Good retention across a wide chalice. Honey gold color. Some lace.

S - Rose petal. Fruit. Peach. Clean. Yeast. Perfume.

T - Subtle fruit flavors. Apricot/peach. Powder. Light bitter finish.

M - Soft, medium bodied mouthfeel. Good champagne style carbonation.

D - Great drinkability. I enjoyed this immensely and look forward to more.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle without freshness date.

Pours an overly crystal-clear golden yellow. Soapy off-white head dissipates to a thin film but leaves decent lace behind. Lots of sweet banana and spice (clove?) in the nose, with some underlying toasted grain and alcohol fruitiness. Medium-rich and creamy round body. Grainy at the outset, builds light bananas and spices in the middle before finishing slightly drier. Unpleasant tinny medicinal alcohol lingers in the mouth afterwards.

Not too terrible considering the giant conglomerate that brews it, but far from the best Belgian abbey-style ale.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Biases checked at the door...

Clear, gold in hue with a tickle of amber as well, the liquid is a bit dull and thin looking. White head, at its best the foam was two fingers tall. Head retention was fair; it slowly faded to a sloppy/soapy cap. Some lacing started right away, which is always a plus in my book. A thin cap lasted the entire consumption; plus there was plenty of unorganized subsequent lacing. Overall, this beer looks agreeable. I would have like to have seen a little haze in the liquid. I'm nitpicking...

The nose is pleasant. Lightly spicy with caramel and candy hints from time to time; the fruitiness wasn't very agreeable. It smelled like marzipan. Sugary. I'd have liked to have detected more hops; it would have given me a better feeling going into the palate. Low potency, while not a chatty beer I can't really complain... I like what I smell but, conversely, the nose is boring. For one thing, it is too clean for a Belgian beer and it lacks depth.

The palate shows the phenols much clearer then the nose. Spicy and medicinal; I like it. While it is still clean the palate does show more depth then I expected it too. Minimal bitterness, some earthy and spicy undertones but the hops really don't speak up. The malt is thin and plenty sweet; sugary, caramel candy. The fruitiness is "real" tasting and thus more likable. I don't see anything wrong with the palate. Spicy, sweet, medicinal finish... fairly long aftertaste. The alcohol heat adds a nice touch. I don't have an emotional attachment to this beer, I never had it before but I have heard the stores about its demise. But, for a Belgian Pale Ale, it is a respectable offering.

Around medium in body, it is neither thin nor filling. Low carbonation but it fits the flavor profile well enough. More bubbles might do a better job of scrubbing the sweetness off the tongue. While I think this beer is tasty it is not very refreshing or zippy. That is something I look for in the style.

This is a good beer. Nothing more, nothing less... if the price was right (and if I could get it locally) I would buy more. As it sits now there are better beers similar to this I can get. So be it. I am very happy I tried my first Leffe beer. It wasn't shit in a bottle. Sure it is clean... it is an industrialized Belgian beer. Maybe it was great once, now it is decent. Thank you Red Haze, this was a pleasant and drinkable beer.

4.37/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Golden amber, a rocky head which retains pretty poorly but laces well.

Smell: Sweet, alcohol underlying smell, some dark fruits. Some crisp hops also which provide some nice balance.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: cherries, semi dark malt sweetness. Highly carbonated. Bitey and refreshing. Some adjunct spices. Finishing with a stunning crisp hop bitter freshness similar to apple.

Drinkability/Overall: Easy enough to drink and a beautiful brew. Borderline my favourite from Leffe. A great fruit, dark tasting contrast with a refreshing crisp pale ale. Well balanced.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

This clear orange golden ale is sweet! Scents of sweet fruit, oranges and peaches with just a hint of herbal hops in the background lead into a sweet malty flavor. Honeyed fruit with a full mouth feel make this drink a pleasure to drink. Probably not the best Abbey Ale out there but better then most I've tried.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nearly clear golden straw with a nice creamy off white head that settled sheets of lace on the glass. This is not what one expects from an abbey ale (where's the yeast?).

There is a faint spice aroma in the nose that is tame compared to other Belgian ales. Pretty mild.

The taste is nice--lightly sweet, spicy and malty. The flavor yields more strength as it warms. This is not the feast of flavors you experience from other Belgians--but it is still pretty tasty.

Not a lot of body to this brew. It's pretty thin in the mouth but the carbonation does resonate a bit on the roof of the mouth.

This is a very drinkable beer. I would gladly serve this to folks that have not had the pleasure of Belgian beer. I think I could call this a gateway Belgian for the uninitiated.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured out of a 33 cl. bottle.

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small ring of head.
Smell: Faint floural smell with a little alcohol to boot.
Taste: Slightly sweet and then fades so a citric hops, then goes to a honey aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium body but soon becomes watery.
Drinkability: A solid beer that won't blow you away with complexity.

Overall: The hops were too dry and harsh (different from strong) and overall this drink lacked in balance.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Tried this on tap, poured a clear gold with a decent white head. The smell is fruity with a bit of bitterness. The taste is a pretty strong sweet, fruity taste which is balanced out with a good amount of bitterness. This is a pretty strong tasting brew, with the sweetness overpowering the hops a good bit. Overall this was a good beer and I enjoyed it.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.