Leffe Blonde | Abbaye de Leffe S.A.

good

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-21-2001

Reviews: 1,350 | Ratings: 3,784
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leffe Blonde pours into my Leffe chalice glass a deep blonde color, with large white head of large bubbles. Left the appropriate and expected lacing. The smell is quite yeasty and I got a bit of a soap smell as well. The aroma could have more spices or something, but it was pretty much just sour yeast. It is much the same on the taste. Lots of yeast flavors, with not alot of anything else coming through. Dry aftertaste, with a bit of hoppy finish. Lots of carbonation, so leaves a crisp tingle on the tongue. Above average, but lots of better Belgians out there.

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%

This is the beer that got me started on Belgians. I had several in France on tap, where this is as common as Bud.
Have been buying it in the bottle here in CT...it's just not the same....it's good though , and worth a try, I think.
Clear gold...big frothy head, settles to 1/2 in.
Smells like clove , yeast , fruit.
Tastes all the above...pretty complex..a little hop coming through and a good amount of sugar..with a bubblegum hint..not too much....gets better with a little rise in temp.
Mouthfeel is medium ...carbonation medium.
Drinkable, I think...I could easily have a few.
I agree with the other reviews that they should not clean this up so much....but it's still a very good Belgian Blonde.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a clear medium yellow with a one finger yellow tinged head that is fairly thick and reasonably well retained, but not the sort of billowing lasts-forever cloud of foam that I always hope for when having a beer of this style. Smells of sharp spices like pepper and cloves, with fruity notes, sweetness, and an alcoholic tone as well. Tastes mostly of malts and snd spiced fruits, with hops and an alcohol bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is reasonably thick, but a bit too clean. Drinkablilty is solid, but not particularly impressive. This isn't a bad beer, but I feel like they've sterilized it too much, and it just doesn't cut it for me.

4.02/5  rDev +12%

Poured this blond into a 0.4 liter short-stemed beer chalice. Creamy off-white head that has lots of lacing and sticks to the side of the glass like a champ. Excellent bubble column rising up throught the center of the glass. Color is burnt golden. The smell is mesquite honey and cloves with a slight hint of eucalyptus. A great aromatherapy beer. Taste is sweet fading to nutmeg and finishing with pure honey. Great texture attributed to micro carbonation. Great starter beer or reverse-spacer beer in a session. This blondie drops the laundry, I'm impressed.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Got this beer as part of the holiday pack that included the Hoegaarden and Stella, and I wanted to give it a try. I tend to prefer witte/white ales from Belgium over this style, since I like the subtle flavors and smooth drinkability of them. After sampling the Leffe Blonde, it's apparent that this style is not the same, nor quite what I expected in anticipation.

Lots of head on this pour, and the beer itself had a nice golden straw color to it. The bubbles quickly settled and there wasn't much lacing as I tasted my sample. Not as much of a body to it as I thought there would be either - very maltly, with just a few citrus, straw, and clove hints to it. Unfortunately, I didn't feel much of any depth or enjoyable aftertaste to it. The lingering "bitterness" was more of an excuse to take another sip, and this beer just wasn't that filling or enjoyable on more than a basic level for me. Maybe I've become too accustomed to the American Pale Ales, but there was something about this that just didn't grow on me as I worked my way through my sampling.

This wouldn't be a terrible brew for a night out but it doesn't have any matching potential for food, in my opinion, and there wasn't much about it that stood out. It's certainly old-fashioned, and for more modern tastes like mine, this was worth a try and not much else...

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

2+ year old bottle rescued from Dad's basement. Crisp, clear amber yellow pour with a 2 inch head of white fluff that settles a bit too quickly, leaving delicate, lacey artwork.

Aroma is sweet honey malts, candi sugar, pear, melon, and spicey yeast and clove.

Flavor is a delicate medley of honey drenched golden fruits, strong yeast and spice, with a delicately hopped finish with notions of wildflowers and peppery Saaz. Alcohol seems more like 8 % than 6.6 %.

Body is just barely medium, very slick and crisp, with a soft texture and light, pinpoint carbonation. Should rate higher IMO.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Standard amber hue. It does have a decent head at the start, but it doesn't live until the end. this is probably due to the lower than expected carbonation. While it's around though, there's some decent lacing on the glass.

Nose is quite fragrant and sweet. Aromas of butterscotch, caramel and Belgian candy sugar, which however start to overpower a little too much. this means the nose becomes a bit unbalanced, especially for the style where you're not expecting something sickly.

Taste is quite sweet on the front palate, but quickly turns bitter and dry, with lingering volatiles and phenols. The aftertaste lasts for a long time, and I wish it ended sooner. Mouthfeel very weak and thin.

I feel like it should be better than it is. I might revisit it, but this time it ended up drinking like a very bland beer.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured a dark orange with a nice puffy head. Smell is of caramel, and burnt sugar. Taste is quite nice, essence of caramel, pears and prunes make their way down the palate. Mouthfeel is delicate, very smooth, carbonation is very minimal which makes this ever so easy to drink. Nice drink to relax with at night after a big meal.

1.6/5  rDev -55.4%

This beer looked totally normal at first, golden color had little head to it, and smelled kinda sweet. To my surprise when I drank it, this is the worst beer I have ever had period, maybe it is just me I don´t like sweet beer but this was terrible I did not take a mouthful or drink more than first touched my tounge on first sip. NOT for those who don´t like sweet beer. BAD BAD BAD

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Nice light fluffy head appears with the pour. Very clear. Sweet smell emanates from the glass- sort pear like. I think this is a nice tasting beer, well balanced with fuit and a candy-like presence. It's extremely easy to drink. It's not a rich beer by any means, but stands up to spicey food or can be had nicely on it's own.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A - 1/4" slightly off-white foamy head. Good retention across a wide chalice. Honey gold color. Some lace.

S - Rose petal. Fruit. Peach. Clean. Yeast. Perfume.

T - Subtle fruit flavors. Apricot/peach. Powder. Light bitter finish.

M - Soft, medium bodied mouthfeel. Good champagne style carbonation.

D - Great drinkability. I enjoyed this immensely and look forward to more.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle without freshness date.

Pours an overly crystal-clear golden yellow. Soapy off-white head dissipates to a thin film but leaves decent lace behind. Lots of sweet banana and spice (clove?) in the nose, with some underlying toasted grain and alcohol fruitiness. Medium-rich and creamy round body. Grainy at the outset, builds light bananas and spices in the middle before finishing slightly drier. Unpleasant tinny medicinal alcohol lingers in the mouth afterwards.

Not too terrible considering the giant conglomerate that brews it, but far from the best Belgian abbey-style ale.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Biases checked at the door...

Clear, gold in hue with a tickle of amber as well, the liquid is a bit dull and thin looking. White head, at its best the foam was two fingers tall. Head retention was fair; it slowly faded to a sloppy/soapy cap. Some lacing started right away, which is always a plus in my book. A thin cap lasted the entire consumption; plus there was plenty of unorganized subsequent lacing. Overall, this beer looks agreeable. I would have like to have seen a little haze in the liquid. I'm nitpicking...

The nose is pleasant. Lightly spicy with caramel and candy hints from time to time; the fruitiness wasn't very agreeable. It smelled like marzipan. Sugary. I'd have liked to have detected more hops; it would have given me a better feeling going into the palate. Low potency, while not a chatty beer I can't really complain... I like what I smell but, conversely, the nose is boring. For one thing, it is too clean for a Belgian beer and it lacks depth.

The palate shows the phenols much clearer then the nose. Spicy and medicinal; I like it. While it is still clean the palate does show more depth then I expected it too. Minimal bitterness, some earthy and spicy undertones but the hops really don't speak up. The malt is thin and plenty sweet; sugary, caramel candy. The fruitiness is "real" tasting and thus more likable. I don't see anything wrong with the palate. Spicy, sweet, medicinal finish... fairly long aftertaste. The alcohol heat adds a nice touch. I don't have an emotional attachment to this beer, I never had it before but I have heard the stores about its demise. But, for a Belgian Pale Ale, it is a respectable offering.

Around medium in body, it is neither thin nor filling. Low carbonation but it fits the flavor profile well enough. More bubbles might do a better job of scrubbing the sweetness off the tongue. While I think this beer is tasty it is not very refreshing or zippy. That is something I look for in the style.

This is a good beer. Nothing more, nothing less... if the price was right (and if I could get it locally) I would buy more. As it sits now there are better beers similar to this I can get. So be it. I am very happy I tried my first Leffe beer. It wasn't shit in a bottle. Sure it is clean... it is an industrialized Belgian beer. Maybe it was great once, now it is decent. Thank you Red Haze, this was a pleasant and drinkable beer.

4.37/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Golden amber, a rocky head which retains pretty poorly but laces well.

Smell: Sweet, alcohol underlying smell, some dark fruits. Some crisp hops also which provide some nice balance.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: cherries, semi dark malt sweetness. Highly carbonated. Bitey and refreshing. Some adjunct spices. Finishing with a stunning crisp hop bitter freshness similar to apple.

Drinkability/Overall: Easy enough to drink and a beautiful brew. Borderline my favourite from Leffe. A great fruit, dark tasting contrast with a refreshing crisp pale ale. Well balanced.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

This clear orange golden ale is sweet! Scents of sweet fruit, oranges and peaches with just a hint of herbal hops in the background lead into a sweet malty flavor. Honeyed fruit with a full mouth feel make this drink a pleasure to drink. Probably not the best Abbey Ale out there but better then most I've tried.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nearly clear golden straw with a nice creamy off white head that settled sheets of lace on the glass. This is not what one expects from an abbey ale (where's the yeast?).

There is a faint spice aroma in the nose that is tame compared to other Belgian ales. Pretty mild.

The taste is nice--lightly sweet, spicy and malty. The flavor yields more strength as it warms. This is not the feast of flavors you experience from other Belgians--but it is still pretty tasty.

Not a lot of body to this brew. It's pretty thin in the mouth but the carbonation does resonate a bit on the roof of the mouth.

This is a very drinkable beer. I would gladly serve this to folks that have not had the pleasure of Belgian beer. I think I could call this a gateway Belgian for the uninitiated.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured out of a 33 cl. bottle.

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small ring of head.
Smell: Faint floural smell with a little alcohol to boot.
Taste: Slightly sweet and then fades so a citric hops, then goes to a honey aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium body but soon becomes watery.
Drinkability: A solid beer that won't blow you away with complexity.

Overall: The hops were too dry and harsh (different from strong) and overall this drink lacked in balance.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Tried this on tap, poured a clear gold with a decent white head. The smell is fruity with a bit of bitterness. The taste is a pretty strong sweet, fruity taste which is balanced out with a good amount of bitterness. This is a pretty strong tasting brew, with the sweetness overpowering the hops a good bit. Overall this was a good beer and I enjoyed it.

3.16/5  rDev -12%

A relatively clear, golden-yellow colored beer with loads of foam that seems to sit stationary for some time leaving behind some nice lacing. Aromas of grains, yeast, and apricots seem to dominate. The taste is typical of this style with a fair amount of bitterness that is complemented by sweet fruity flavors. My biggest problem with this brew is it's unusual aftertaste that just lingers on and on. The aftertaste is a bit like swallowing a slightly stale loaf of bread; just not very appealing. The drinkability takes a hit because of this as well. I would rather follow this beer with a glass of water than to have another one.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Oh - why do I review this? I dont know, I guess just for the hell of it.

Leffe is quite a good introduction to the belgian style, I think. A very sweet brew, but as ones tastes become a bit more refined, the beer becomes altogether unnecessary. It is very syrupy, almost tastes like robitussin. Not that it is all bad - i myself love tussin. Anyway, an adequate beer, but certainly not something I would go out and purchase. Very fruity and way too thick for the style. I would like something a bit more summery (not that that is really a word with any meaning, but anyway). In any case, I guess it was a nice surprise a bar, so that I didnt have to order a guiness, but there are definitely better things out there for the price.

From a 33 cl bottle dated “best before 19-9-06”. Leffe Blonde delivers a light, crisp aroma with a hint of spice from a bright golden body. The flavor is equally crisp and slightly tart with a light touch of pepper and a hint of cinnamon. This is a fairly standard Belgian pale, but it’s a high standard. Its authenticity as an abbey ale however, is stifled by its contracted Interbrew origins.

2.53/5  rDev -29.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a perfect copper color and makes a thin white head, leaves a nice bit of lacing on my glass. Strong bread yeasty aroma. Peppery spices, clove and sweet banana are dominant in the flavor, however there's a bit of metallic in the background that is not so pleasant and perhaps a bit plastic. Nice medium palate that finishes dry with crisp bubbly carbonation. Halfway through this and the metallic flavor has seemingly diminished quite a bit, though the plastic remains. While this brew has a couple of strong points, the weak points are dominating here, I don't think I'll be drinking this one again for a while. One thing I noticed here is that this brew isn't bottle conditioned, which seems to be pretty standard for the style. Perhaps Leffe's commercial nature will inspire some macro drinkers to crossover into the craftbrew world, but I can't say that I recommend this. A decent gateway beer at best.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

From 11.2 bottle poured into a pint glass.

Poured a golden brown color with a very fluffy head. Good lacing.

The smell was of malt, bread and tart apples. Nothing outstanding. The taste was vanilla, nuts and some light plum and honey flavors. Not as impressive as some other beers, but quite nice.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh though not oppressive. Decent amount of carbonation. Overall, I found this to be quite acceptable and I would have again, thought I prefer the Leffe brune and the radieuse. The blonde is more like a little brother.

bright golden hue. good head that lasts.moderately full bodied. mild bitterness. aromas show sweet pale malt accents. rich and chewy on the palate showing good malt intensity and sweetness that is balanced and a dry hop finish. shows a very drinkable character. impressively flavorful.

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%

On tap at a trendy gastro pub in East End London. Insanely expensive: 3 quid for half pint!! I'm definitely ripped-off!! (should've known better...)

A: light golden hue, with a white head thick but loosely-formed and breaking down pretty fast and leaves little to entertain my eyes; light carbonation. The fast-retreating foam is a bit disappointing for a Belgian ale on tap.
S: fruity, like banana oil, honey, grainy maltiness, sweetened orange, and a lightly bubble-gum note--overall refreshing, but a bit too sugary.
T: smoothly-textured candyish and grainy malts upfront, with a refreshing flavour of troical fruits of esters, leading to a dryish fruity flavour at the back--bittersweet like chicory syrup, with a slightly spicy (clove?) note in the end. Pretty standard flavour for this style, but lacking complexity which is key to make Belgian ales desirable--could be the result of filtering?
M: light-bodied, backed by understated bubbly texture, and moderately-flavoured; overall quite clean on the mouthfeel.
D: an average Belgian blond--nothing more nothing less.

Leffe Blonde from Abbaye de Leffe S.A.