Gose | Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place

Added by StaveHooks on 09-14-2011

3.7

2.22/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Was not expecting the sour. Coughran me off guard! I now know this is not for me

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Poured a banana colored yellowish, hazy with a good frothy white cap, bubbles and some moderate lacing

S: Wheat, citrus salty with a lactic burn on the nostrils with some chlorine in the nose

T: Moderate salt with light citrus and wheat coupled with a lactic pucker factor but here seems t be a chlorine like taste to this, same as I detected on the nose

M: Light body, well carbonated

O: A pretty average Gose but not as refreshing as some Gose's I have had but I found it better than Uprights Gose. The chlorine element is the major defect but it did not kill the beer.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy yellow/golden color with a layer of white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Tart with a strong spice presence. Sweet citrus.

Taste: Quite tart, more than I expected. Some citrus notes along with the spices. Lots of coriander. Crisp malt and I think I'm picking up some salt in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: A bit more tart that I expected. The spice flavor was intense, but good. I would consider having another.

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Cloudy amber with a small white colored head.

Smells mildly sour with lemon, coriander and toasted grain scent. Bit funky with faint horse blanket scent.

Starts out sour. Defiantly salty. Normally I don't like sour beers but this is more Margarita rim salt than spoiled bottle of beer. Think salty Berliner Weisse when you taste it.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a beer style few have ever tried.

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a hazy, muddy, orange color. White head, doesn't stick for long.

Smell is lightly tart and acidic, but there's a rich sort of malt profile that shines through more than anything. Backing citrus.

Tart tasting. Makes my cheeks pucker a bit. I wouldn't call it sour, but just really tart. There's a hints of bread and citrus, but unlike the aroma, the tart qualities mostly overpower. Not getting any saltiness, which is what I enjoyed with the first Gose I had, along with it's mere faint tart notes. Finish is bone dry though, so the salt may be playing a part...

Little bit slick, but lighter in body, low carbonation.

Not my most favorite style, but I can appreciate it for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The people that think sours are great will like this, by style, this is too tart. Similar to the people who think hoppier everything is better, when it is not.
But don't get me wrong, this is an interesting brew.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy, medium golden color with a patchwork residue of white bubbles. Light lacing remains on the glass and a few steady streams of petite bubbles rise in the column.

S: Very mild, neutral wheat is surpassed by soured growth media.

T: Begins dry, with soft bready grain and mild lactic sourness. It finishes quickly after the tartness subsides, leaving just a dusting of wheat flour and lingering savoriness whose identity is hard to pin down.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and refreshing on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This beer takes sourness to a new extreme for the style, but remains true to the clean and refreshing aspects at the same time. It has a less pronounced dehydrating effect than some others, suggesting a less aggressive salt addition. Krebs/Choc shows itself to be an adventurous small brewery in the stylistic choices they make, as in the case of this beer, even if the results aren't always entirely convincing.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a darker orange than most of the goses. Not much head. Looks pretty so so compared to the rest. Smells spicy and tart. There is almost some chili pepper. The taste is sweet and very tart. Coriander is strong. Lot of lemon zest. Under carbonated compared to the rest. Overall my least favourite other than the salt of the earth which suuuucked

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Uncorks with a promising pop and pours murky brown with golden hues threaded throughout, and an off-white head that settles slowly.

Aroma is of fresh baked beer bread, a panoply of light fruits, coriander and lemon. Wow. Salty as fuck to the tongue. Going to let that sink in a bit before I go back for another try. Ok, here goes. The second round reveals some more light fruits and malt. A lemony tartness moves in all aggressive like toward the end, slaps me around a little and makes we wonder why I entered the ring.

Light to medium bodied and dry, which is according to style.

Since this is the first Gose I've tried, I really don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems to be in line with the style guide. I've decided not to throw the towel in on this beer, but I think the bottling in a magnum demands sharing with friends. While this one kicked my butt a bit, I will seek out a few more for comparisons sake.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Into a snifter. Cloudy orange color with a finger of head that is quickly gone.
It smells like a German Riesling wine. The coriander comes through and a little banana.
Interesting taste. Light flavor upfront, bubbly, salty and sour lemon (lots). Very sour. It kinda grows on you or at least on me.
Higher carbonation and lighter body. A little sticky texture.
They created a beer that was almost lost... maybe there was a reason for it not being popular. Absolutely worth finding and trying though.

Gose from Choc Beer Co. / Pete's Place