10w-30 Oatmeal Stout | The Brewhouse

Good

The Brewhouse
thebrewhousesb.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by JayTheFinn on 10-08-2006

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%

Draught at the brewpub. Black body with a creamy nitro head. The aroma is pretty faint, with maybe some light, bitter coffee; damn nitro. The flavor is quite dry and coffee dominated; lots of roast. the Guinness comparisons are legit, but this is easily better, with a fuller body and more character. Still, seems like its made to fill that niche. Nitro really isn't my thing, but this survives it with plenty of character.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Draft at brewery, 02/18/08.

The brewmaster let me try some of the unreleased, uncarbonated batch before it was officially released. Dark brown. No carbonation (DUH). Roasted, toasted malt character with some coffee and chocolate. Finish is fairly clean; not much bitterness.

I think this will be a great beer once it gets nitro'd up on a tap.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Having just brewed up an oatmeal stout myself, I've been comparing it to others lately. The Brewhouse's is thick and dark, while still being smooth and creamy. It's got a medium to small dark brown head with great staying power. Smells malty. Tastes like it smells: roasty, coffee, chocolate. But it's also got a subtle citrusiness to it which struck me as odd. I don't know that it was meant to be there, but regardless it didn't have much of an affect on the flavor. In fact, you could drink one of these and probably not even notice it. The failing of this beer, if there is one, would be in the mouthfeel. I expected a bigger experience, but it slid right off my tongue with hardly an aftertaste worth mentioning. But that does make it easier to down quite a few of these in one sitting without being overwhelmed by flavor, and the initial flavor is so tasty that I gave it a high drinkability rating. Overall this ranks up there with the Brewhouse's other great brews!

10w-30 Oatmeal Stout from The Brewhouse