Bourbon Barrel Aged Corruption

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 FL OZ bottle
Served in a snifter

This beer pours black and is topped with a couple inches of tan head that retains rather well.

I get a nice chocolate aroma. As I dive in snoot first I pick up cocoa and plum.

The is a nice chocolate flavor right off the bat. There is an alcohol presence. Hints of dark fruit mingle with caramel and vanilla for a dessert flavor.

Full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel

This is a very enjoyable beer. I've had it in the cellar for about a year and a half. It has aged beautifully.

Feb 19, 2019
bluejacket74 from Ohio

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle, no dating that I noticed on it. Thanks to Brutaltruth for this brew! Served in a snifter, the beer pours a very dark brown color with about an inch tan head that didn't stay around for too long. Not much lacing at all. I like the aroma, it smells like bourbon, vanilla, caramel, molasses and dark fruit. Taste is similar to the aroma, but with the addition of some oak and roasted malt. It's not quite as sweet tasting as the aroma would leave me to believe. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought it was a good overall brew, certainly worth a try if you come across some!

Nov 04, 2018
Brutaltruth from Ohio

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This nice stout pours a deep dark
brownish black with cola highlights and a decent head of big bubbled
off white foam that subsides to a thick ring with light lacing. nose of bourbon,
vanilla, strong booze, and sweet caramel. Flavors hit the right notes
and then some with vanilla, raisins, bourbon, dark brown sugars,
molasses, medium oaken notes, and light char touched malts. Nice
mouth feel; full body, lightly coating, moderately warming, and rich
with a boozy and warming sweet finish.

Overall, a solid brew from a great brewery

Jun 22, 2018
deadonhisfeet from Kentucky

Bourbon barrel-aged Scottish style stout (I believe it's a barrel-aged version of their Reformation stout). Poured from a bottle into a Bruery tulip. The pour is very dark with a tiny bit of light getting through. It's not too viscous and sports a very thin layer of foam that quickly dissipates (very common for barrel-aged beers and not what I consider a flaw). On the nose I get lots of treacle, toffee, caramel, sweet cream, bourbon, and vanilla.

The beer is full bodied with a firm feel and a rich, sweet flavor. Lots of toffee, caramel, and bready sweetness up front. The flavors then turn to vanilla, sarsaparilla, butterscotch candy, and some rich oaky notes with a little bit of bourbon. Not too boozy (I expected more burn on this one) and also no oxidation or off-putting dark fruit notes. Very rich, warming, and satisfying.

I tried this beer at an event attended by the brewer (at Party Town, Florence, USA, Earth), and I was intrigued enough by this beer to pick up a single (intrigued because the draft sample I was served was, in my opinion, far too cold). I may have to pick up more of this. It's much better than I thought it would be. A lot of rich, sweet flavors that are enhanced by the barrel character and no oxidation flavors at all. I think a coffee version of this beer would be awesome (I'm thinking a little bit of bitter roast to balance out that sweetness would be killer). A nice surprise brewed right up the road. It reminds me a little of Dragon's Milk. It's also worth noting that my buddy had an earlier batch of this beer at the brewery and he said that one tasted a lot more chocolatey.

Nov 29, 2017