Achromatic Vibes

Rated:
Aug 09, 2023
Added:
Aug 18, 2020
Our rye imperial stout version of Coconut Vibes (tweaked Vibes Russian imperial stout recipe) with the addition of toasted & raw coconut and Tanzanian & Ugandan vanilla beans, and brewed in collaboration with WeldWerks Brewing.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 4 by PhineasMcClintock from Massachusetts

Aug 09, 2023
Reviewed by JohnnyHopps from Indiana

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75
Appearance - The beer was murky black in appearance with little in visible carbonation.

Smell - The nose was sweet with notes of vanilla and coconut.

Taste - The profile had sweet coconut and smooth vanilla at the front. As it progressed, the beer was like drinking chocolate milk. No point of the profile seemed artificial. There was a slight bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel - The beer was smooth like a milk stout with little carbonation.

Overall - This was an elite coconut stout.
May 13, 2023
Reviewed by Sandis from Minnesota

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
2022 version poured from a 750ml pottle into a snifter. Deep black. Very thick and creamy with a well blended mix of vanilla and coconut. Sweetness is moderate. Excellent.
May 05, 2023

Rated: 4.79 by BrewSTL from Missouri

Mar 04, 2023

Rated: 4.24 by 22Blue from Kansas

Feb 26, 2023
Reviewed by 4DAloveofSTOUT from Illinois

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
Vintage 2020

Milk chocolate and dark chocolate blend. Vanilla pudding. Hint of caramel, coconut, & bourbon; not getting much rye whiskey notes. Rich and very sweet. You don't need a large pour of this. Very smooth with nothing boozy here. This is a thick pastry boi that's well done.
Jan 15, 2023

Rated: 4.49 by SadMachine from New Jersey

Dec 25, 2022

Rated: 4.5 by mattmarka1 from Minnesota

Nov 21, 2022
Reviewed by Rristow from Ohio

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75
Pours a thick tarry black with dark brown head that fades quickly. Vanilla, caramel, molasses on the nose. Super thick and chewy mouthfeel. Flavors of caramel, vanilla, coconut, cocoa, molasses. Very mild rye notes. Excellent pastry stout.
Jul 21, 2022
Reviewed by gibgink from Missouri

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5
Batch 1(2020) opened after a 20 minute visit to the fridge from the cellar. Poured a little too aggressive, and initially the head was so dark, I couldn't see that I was going to overflow. I was rewarded with a very thick and marshmallow like head which tasted a lot like a chocolate milkshake. Once it finally subsided, I approached with the nostrils and was rewarded with a big chocolate and malt backbone. Very similar to a lot of the SP stouts, but a tad bit sweeter. On the palate, my tongue is assaulted by the sludge of this brew, with the lingering sweetness absolutely covering the palate for some time after every sip. There is a sweetness imparted by the vanilla, but as it doesn't overpower the chocolate, imparts an almost fudge like flavor.

Overall this is a great beer. I am knocking the overall score a bit however, as while chocolate and vanilla are definitely present, the coconut is nowhere to be seen. It does state on the bottle, "drink w/in 60 days", so maybe there is something to that.
Jun 01, 2022
Reviewed by Beer_Economicus from Ohio

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
Today is a new beer to me.

Shared Brewing – Achromatic Vibes (2020)

12% ABV

The beer is listed as an Imperial stout with vanilla beans and coconut on the bottle, and a “Stout – Russian Imperial” on BA.

The beer was removed from a 45ish degree temp fridge after having been refrigerated for approximately 10 months. Beer poured into a Hill Farmstead tall wine-style glass. Consumed (domed) across approximately 2 hours, across 3 separate pours with the beer kept refrigerated between pours.

First Impression: As soon as the cap was popped, a little bit of vanilla escaped. Poured heavy and thick, like motor oil. Perhaps thicker than any other stout I have ever poured, including the two derivations from SP that I have tried. This left me intrigued. 4.25

Appearance: As is always the case with SP/Shared, this beer is essentially still (just like all the stouts). Very little head which dissipates quickly, never to be seen again. It is very thick, and that is evident both during the pour and when swirling. After taking a sip, the glass is coated. Small particulates and residue are also left on the glass in a way that a strictly oily stout (e.g. BCBS rare) simply does not. 4.25

Smell: For a stout this is quite aromatic, but for any beer this is pretty subdued. Immediately you get vanilla. After that what you get definitely changes. Mostly I get a vague sugar-sweetness most akin to turbinado sugar with layers of vanilla like that of powdered sugar. What ruins this a little bit is that you get some of that vanilla-alcohol almost burn in your nose much like you do with vanilla extract. At first I would rate this higher, but over the course of enjoying the beer I have to rate it more fairly. 4.15

Taste: This is a beer that definitely changes as the temperature of the beer changes, and I would argue that the beer is better off at a colder (i.e. fridge) temperature of 45-55. In that range you get more of the vanilla with less of the bitter malt-chocolate, and less of the sticky-sweet feeling (see mouthfeel below). You certainly get vanilla first and foremost. The coconut you really have to search for, although perhaps you wouldn’t if just the vanilla were not present, since coconut already has vanilla-like flavors, particularly when it is limited. When cold the beer presents more as a vanilla and chocolate beer – with some taste towards the back (and aftertaste) that I can’t quite put my finger on. At first I liked this a lot, but I like it less 15 ounces in. 4.35

Mouthfeel: This has a good mouthfeel when cold, less when warm. But there are two components – there is literally the mouthfeel during a single sip/drink, and then there’s the mouthfeel over the course of the entire bottle. I have a bitter sensitivity, so while this may be sweet for others, it isn’t for me. -But, I recognize that it clearly has a lot of sugars, as it will make your mouth sweet/sticky. So, after about 4-5 ounces, you’ll quickly get to this point of ‘saturation’. 4.15

Overall: I want to like this a lot more than I do, and I wish I liked it as much near the end of the bottle as I did at the start. Look, when I finish a bottle of BCBS, especially something like Rare, my palate may be a little wrecked, but I have enjoyed myself. Other than the ABV, nothing is a chore to consume it. This is totally different. This is heavy, this is sticky, this is tiring, and this is a slog. I’m convinced that this beer is not intended to be consumed by oneself, but this is the way it is packaged, so this is the way that I am going to review it. My review started off higher at the start of the bottle, and keeps falling the more I consume. I can understand how someone would rate this a 4.8 with only 4oz. and I can see how someone might rate this a 4.6 with only 5-7oz, but I don’t see how someone rates this higher than a 4.3 if they are consuming the whole bottle. It’s a chore, and a little part of me wishes I had just traded it away. 4.25

BA Review Score: 4.256

Rated: 4.3 by fthegiants from California

Apr 26, 2021
Reviewed by Alieniloquium from Florida

3.07/5  rDev -31.3%
750 mL bottle. Inky and oily black. Smells of coconut and vanilla with lots of fudge. Tastes of aggressive roasted malt up front before coconut and vanilla kick in. Huge amounts of coconut. Bitter alcohol and vanilla. Heavy, super sweet. After a few sips, it gets kinda rough. Bitter with a weird lingering coconut flavor.
Apr 21, 2021