Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel AleLabatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
American Pale Ale (APA)
ABV:
Score:
2.42 | pDev: 35.12%
From:
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Ontario, Canada
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Notes:
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 185 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

I don't remember this being as bad as many of the reviews on here have stated, then again it may not age well in the bottle. It's been a while and I'd like to try it again, but I remember the bourbon being mild but present in flavor in a way that was inoffensive, but it may have been a tad watery.

1.82/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1

ACK!

This looks fine enough and even smells halfway decent, but then you take a sip and... blech! This is how I imagine wet, moldy cardboard tastes. The guy below who mentioned chewing on wooden pencils was on the money as well. And this brutal, lingering aftertaste... so fuggin' gross! All the pretzels and nuts in the world won't disguise that mess. I'm dumping this down the toilet (where it belongs) and drinking straight grain as a palette cleanser. May sandpaper my tongue as well. Jesus, this is awful.

I only had a opportunity to try it once. I thought it was great. I like to put a small amount of jack d. In my george k. I would vote to bring it back

3.08/5  rDev +27.3%

Got this on 3/22/16 from a friend in MI. (I'm in VA) BA says that this beer is no longer made so I have no idea how long she or the store she got it from had it. Short story... not a terrible beer. Had no idea it was going to be a pale ale. And the barrel aged part on the label had me a bit deceived. Guess it doesn't really matter if I can't get it again.

3.6/5  rDev +48.8%

It certainly appears I'm in the minority but I like this beer. I tend to like them sweeter so that's probably why it appeals to me. The bourbon flavors are mild ... I get more vanilla and caramel. I wish ABV was a bit higher as that extra punch seems to add an interesting finish to every sip.

1.8/5  rDev -25.6%

I am surprised that this beer is retired as I saw it for the first time today (Feb 2016). In any event, it pours clear and golden and develops a 2-inch, white, pocketed head of foam. The nose suggests wet hay with hints of wet wood. The Bourbon notes are not evident on the nose. The head quickly fell to 1/8 inch. The palate suggests cardboard, vanilla, and chewing on wood pencils. Medium light body. Very little nuance or flavor to linger. This is unpleasant! I will not be able to finish it. Now I understand retirement! Lace did form.

4.25/5  rDev +75.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. Poured from the bottle into pint glass, this brew's head is one finger thick off-white head, spottier lacing, and a clear medium-amber body.

I smell a well-done balance of just a tad of bourbon with earthier malts and grains. Floral hops appear at the end for a small zip.

Tastes way less like bourbon than the scent indicates, and more like vanilla or amarillo with the aforementioned malt and hop profiles.

The mouthfeel here is light with mild carbonation and a slight zip at the end.

Overall, I give Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. a 4.25.

2.74/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ stubby bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear golden yellow color with a small thin white head. The appearance is the best part about this beer. The aroma is a mix of spices and dish water, very average. The flavor is like dishwater, no bourbon taste noted. Overall, a very poor offering.

2.7/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am winnowing through the bottle backlog here at Chez Woody and I came across this stubby little guy.

I have gotten smart enough to know that this is a screw-top, so no Pop! The cap came off easily and I gave a gentle pour that created a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly settled to wisps. Color was a deep Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and the Gelt Gang suddenly reappeared! The Gelt Gang is the triumvirate of Midas, Mammon & Croesus and I misunderstood their intentions for a long time until they saved me from the Cybermen. Now, I welcome them to try the various Golden-colored beers that I open. Nose was rather weak in terms of its bourbon-barrel smell. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was bourbon-y, bourbon-ish, but not really on par with so many other Bbl.-aged beers that I have drank. Finish was semi-sweet and I just felt kind of cheated. This had great potential and simply failed to deliver.

2.11/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bottle labeled M10R42 07:47 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma – can’t find one
Head small (< two cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, rapidly diminishing to two mm ring and partial layer
Lacing - none
Body – medium yellow, clear, slight effervescence
Flavor – no bourbon, no barrel, some caramel, slightly sweet; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, slightly syrupy, fizzy

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 2.5, Flavor 1.5, Palate 2, Overall 2.5

3.77/5  rDev +55.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a medium golden color with a one finger head of fizzy white foam. The head has a lighter level of retention, slowly fading to leave a lighter level of fizzy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the brew is strong of a sweet caramel and maple syrup smell mixed with a bit of a bready aroma. Along with these aromas comes some smells of sum of a fruity aroma of harvest fruits and some spice aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg along with a very light hint of an oak smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a rather sweet flavor with a good showing of a breadiness. The sweet is a mix of caramel and maple syrup with some fruity tastes apple and pear. As the taste advances some of the light graininess detected in the nose is detected on the tongue with the caramel and the fruit transitioning to a mix of more maple syrup and a bit of brown sugar. A little bit of a woody taste comes at the very end leaving one with a sweet, but enjoyable, almost pancake like taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is rather average as well. A little thicker and chewier of a feel may have been slightly better for the rich syrup pancake flavors of the brew, but overall, the feel was rather decent.

Overall- I don’t know what people are talking about here… I am drinking this out of date (as I found it a friend’s house in the back of his fridge), but it has quite a bit of flavor and is very enjoyable overall. I haven‘t had any of the other prohibition series Labett are rolling out, but I will try some if I get the chance.

1.46/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Starting with the word Prohibition Series I Knew I was in trouble. Did not see that when I yanked it out of the cooler. Opened it and it smelled like it might have been skunked, but no that was its odor. Taste was hard to swallow. I used my imagination ad could taste the added chemical flavors. Contrived swill.

Labbatt is a big player now that they brew for Guinness. Their Guinness is foul. I am no expert, I have only been drinking Guinness since 1966, but I know that the Canadian Guinness has lost the softness that Guinness bottles always had, not to mention a weird taste profile.
So, they hijack Guinness and trash it and now they hijack the word Prohibition from America and trump it up with "one Time Brewing " to create cache. One time is enough.
And for those that are worrying that the big players take away from the craft brewers, this Bleer is proof we have nothing to worry about.

1.29/5  rDev -46.7%

L - Bottle was cool
S - Smells nothing like any other barrel aged beers.
T - Tastes like Band Aids. In fact, if AIDS had a flavor this would be it.
F - it was wet and didn't contain any chunks so I give it a slightly higher score than the taste.
O - How does beer like this get produced and distributed? If they sold the bottles with just water in it, I'd be more pleased with my purchase.

3.48/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I understand that in some ways this is big business poaching dollars from craft producers and all of that, and that we aren't supposed to like beers like this, but if you close your eyes and taste it, its very good, and frankly I feel like if bells or someone made this, we would all be raving about it, so lets judge it for what it is, a tasty, affordable, and inventive beer from a big player. I like the idea of bourbon flavors in a blonde ale, and while I know its not barrel aged but rather brewed with staves in it, the flavor of the whiskey is really strong, notes of honey and vanilla, lots of sweetness, and the oak all come through the medium bodied highly carbonated pale base beer, which has redeeming characteristics of its own. I like the quantity of that special element too, more would make it too intense, less it wouldn't stand out quite enough, they dialed that aspect in. it may be a little sweet for slamming a bunch of, and it may be a little lackluster for those used to huge barrel aged stouts, but for what it is, I think its really excellent. I don't like that sometimes we don't really objectively review beer, but let things like politics and preconceived notions influence us so much. I am guilty of it too sometimes, but lets give credit where its due, this stuff aint as bad as it looks on here. id drink another one right now if I had it...

2.82/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I tried this from the bottle.

The flavor is not the best..sort of a malt liquor with a wood/vanilla aftertaste. I don't recommend this unless you can't help yourself.

3.54/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the look of the bottle and the caps. Has a very interesting flavor. You can definitely taste the bourbon, as well as the oak barrel flavors. It's a bit sharp on the tongue to start but goes down very smooth with a pleasant aftertaste. I like it for its uniqueness.

1.74/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not sure what regular Labatt taste like. Likely I won't ever either after this bottle of poison. The weird smell it had was puzzling. The taste assured me why it had a weird smell. No bourbon flavor at all. Neither any really good flavors.

1.14/5  rDev -52.9%

I was talking to buying beer at my local import craft beer store to finish filling a 6 pack. Worst of the 6. The label looks old appropriate for the taste of the beer.

1.63/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours a deep amber color. Some bubbles though head does fade quickly. Aroma is alcoholic, grainy and sweet. The taste is oxidized madness of vanilla, Granny Smith, corn, and ethyl alcohol. Medium bodied but falls flat and limp in a pile of alcohol flavor. Overall this is a stronger, even less agreeable version of labatt. Just shy of a total nightmare.

1.25/5  rDev -48.3%

this is disgusting rubbish: coming from someone who has no problem drinking Icehouse, Pabst, Busch, et al.....it is easily the worst beer I've ever had. sickening artificial chemical smells and tastes dominate this "beer". it really cannot even be called a beer. it tastes akin to cough syrup or an energy drink; it is an insult to my senses and sensibilities. i'm a bit steamed because I bought a 6 pack, and now have to pour it down the sink. had i looked carefully at the label at the store, I would have noticed "with natural flavor added" and not purchased it. terrible. it almost makes me not want to buy other Labatt products again, which to me are at least drinkable.
(for the record I gave the appearance a 2.5, yet I didn't bother pouring it into a glass so really I don't know. who cares? it fails in all other parameters; it wasn't worth dirtying a glass for)

2.43/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Anyone else kinda digging these bottles? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale-ish brass topped by a half-finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet corn (bordering on corn syrup), thoroughly watered-down whiskey, a hint of balsa, and vague cereal grains mixed with hard water. The taste brings in more of the same, basically taking the usual bland pale lager flavor and mixing it with fake bourbon and plenty of sweeteners. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a liquid feel. Overall, this wasn't a horrendous beer, but it's certainly not something I'm ever gonna drink again. Better luck next time, Labatt.

1.49/5  rDev -38.4%

Well, there's good news and bad news here. First the bad news. This beer sucks. The aftertaste almost put me into a coma. It's like synthetic caramel mixed with dry cleaning fluid. Almost entirely artificial. 2 sips and I dumped the rest of the 6 pack down the drain. And the good news? That's when I noticed that the color was pretty. Plus I liked the bottles, so I am saving them for my homebrew. Do yourself a favor and pass this one up.

2.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

12oz stubby bottle poured into a tulip

A- pours a clear golden color with a small fizzy white head that disappears almost completely, leaving nothing behind

S- aroma of spiced cedar wood, freshly permed hair, cooked sweet corn, rubber bands and watered down bourbon

T- a lot sweeter than expected, there's a strange artificial flavor of perfume that kicks in and overtakes every other flavor. Notes of melted plastic and rotten apple, eventually finishing with spiced wood and artificial caramel, no bourbon detectable

M- medium body with low biting carbonation leads to a slightly sticky mouthfeel and a foamy finish

O- what a bizarre beer, I could only drink half of a bottle. I've never had a BBA pale ale that was decent, and this one is no exception

4.76/5  rDev +96.7%

This will be my regular for as long as it's available lots of low reviews yet I had to go to 6 stores to find it in stock so I grabbed the last 3 six packs ☆☆☆☆

1.45/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Smells like a wax candle labelled "Cheap Hooker". Taste follows up more on the wax candle part of things. Definite paraffin, like opening a drawer in my grandmother's house that hasn't been opened in 20 years but had some kind of freshener in it. I have no idea what the word Bourbon is doing on the label, it tastes like some kid stole from his dad's bottle and replaced it with his mom's perfume. As for the mouthfeel, I get the whole wax thing, but I think it's just my sense of smell giving that suggestion. Honestly, picture straining a cheap beer through a pair of your grandma's old hosiery that had been sitting in a cedar dresser with candles and a Bounce fabric softener. I guess during the Prohibition your options were limited, but there's always aftershave or sobriety. This is one of the worst beers I remember drinking, I can't think of a worse one offhand.

Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 61 out of 100 with 185 ratings