Labatt Blue
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue
Rate It
Beer Geek Stats | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Ontario, Canada
Aug 30, 2001
SCORE
Poor
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue
Notes: Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.29/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25
by CaptainMac from Pennsylvania

In terms of cheaper beers, I think this is one of the better ones.

Jun 06, 2022

2.75 by gardner254 from Ohio on May 26, 2022
3.81/5  rDev +41.6%
by lflotron from Florida

Has a pretty light taste like most macros. Better and cheaper than PBR

May 24, 2022

2.67 by Beer_Goblin from New York on May 11, 2022

3.94 by ohbigun from West Virginia on May 06, 2022

2.5 by NickThePyro from Washington on Apr 23, 2022
3.63/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
by tekstr1der from New Hampshire

Embarking on an Adjunct Adventure lately, seeing if I can find a commercial macro that competes with or bests PBR for my taste buds. This one is pretty decent - no offensive smells or flavors. A light-bodied, easy-drinking bready malt I would be happy to revisit.

Apr 20, 2022
3.16/5  rDev +17.5%
by WaterBoar from Pennsylvania

Nothing jumped out at me but the straw of the barley taste, the corn and other adjuncts made it taste like how I think Canada's beer tastes. I see this as another Molson, but I do like it. It is just not a beer I would get again, nor would I turn it down at a party. I liked the flavor of the water, I liked the malt but there is something about it that is just not my style. I would hate only to overall this a 3/5 But I see others rating it 63/100 so I would agree.

Apr 16, 2022
3.47/5  rDev +29%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by dbeau485 from Florida

It’s one of my go to beers at the grocery store. A 6pack is cheaper than American beer at Publix. Try it with a little real ginger ale for a ginger beer.

Apr 03, 2022
2.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75
by AlexandraDen from Canada (ON)

Good ol Labatt Blue, the Bud of the Canadian market. In University I always remember folks considering Labatt and Molson the typical Canadian macro, and Moosehead was ‘the good stuff’.

Pours a classic light yellow straw colour. Fizzy finger and a half head foams and dissipates as fast as it arrives.

Sweet aroma on the nose, corn and sweet wheaty notes. A little bit of generic cereal grains. Mild and inoffensive.

Taste follows closely to what you smell. Recommended, like many macros, to drink ice cold. The sweetness opens up as it warms to the point of stickiness, like when you get a mouthful of mushy alphabits cereal or rice krispies that have been sitting in a bowl of sugared milk for an hour. Slight bitterness that has a slight metallic flavour to it, but still retains a slight edge of grassiness of the hops.

Light bodied with medium carbonation, very crisp mouthfeel, not a very long finish, finishes fairly bland with a slight graininess.

As I say for most of the macros I revisit, it’s not worth just buying something else at the same cost or an extra quarter per beer to get an explosively better experience. Especially in Canada where our alcohol prices are terrible, it is absolutely not hard to find another macro or even plenty of cheaper microbrews and craft. Most of the high ratings have to do with nostalgia, which is a powerful motivator of course. Nothing wrong with that. But for a beer many describe as ‘that easy drinking workhorse/good for mowing lawns/etc’, there is absolutely no doubt you can find better for the same price.

That being said, if you like Labatt, then go for it. It’s not my thing anymore, but if you like it, that’s what BA is for. Ranking beers on your own preference. You don’t gotta try to justify it based on anything else than the fact you enjoy the taste yourself.

Mar 21, 2022

by bottom_ramen

Average cost and average taste. Far from stands out but I'd expect nothing less.

Feb 23, 2022
2.97/5  rDev +10.4%
by Tweezerjam from Pennsylvania

A damn fine value session beer. These go down quick and easy. I’m a fan.

Feb 18, 2022

2.64 by TMoney2591 from Illinois on Feb 17, 2022
by lagrluvr

Finally got up north enough to grab a 12 pack of cans. Haven't had this in years/decades
pours out a typical light straw gold, but more color than i expected. Fizzy one inch white head dies down pretty fast.
Smells - it's basically a light sweetness, like a hint of sweet corn. Not awful, but very basic.
Taste is light, sweet ,basic and pretty decent. Clean enough finish .
Overall, it's pretty much a cereal/corn flake type of taste that can be slammed easily and enjoyable with cheap food.

Jan 21, 2022
by PlacePigalle

This is a good basic beer. I'm a working man. I don't have a budget for a lot of craft beers. I buy this regularly and it satisfies me the way my old Ford Escape gets me where I want to go even in a foot of snow. Sorry to be basic. Feel a little out of place here. But if you can't afford steak, there's nothing like a good hamburger.

Dec 28, 2021

3.25 by KT3418 from Colorado on Dec 02, 2021

2.6 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota on Nov 01, 2021

2.75 by Meddwol from Michigan on Oct 30, 2021
2.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
by Steve_Studnuts from Pennsylvania

Pours a typical pale straw. Eggshell white head comes on all frothy and then pulls a vanishing act. Tiny little bubbles lazily float towards the top of the glass. It doesn't look terribly appealing but it looks the part of an adjunct lager and so you can't rate it too harshly. Smells like lightly sweetened cereal and not much else. Alphabits without the marshmallows? Maybe a little grassy if I dig deep. Tastes, you know, pretty much like it smells with a mild bitter hop bite. It's not especially tasty, but it's far from offensive. *shrug* Very crispy up front, though it does mellow a bit on the finish. Yeah; not much to say. This is perfectly drinkable swill that reminds me of my youth. Hard to believe I used to think this stuff was objectively good.

Oct 03, 2021
by sweethomie

This the beer you can get in a keg. Take that bad boy to your cabin up north and put it into the garage. You and your friends can easily kill in one night. Best beer jands down

Sep 25, 2021
3.7/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by Joefromgeorgia from Georgia

I'm gunna go ahead and purger myself here and say, I love this beer. The only real downside to me is they can charge more for it not being domestic. If I was Canadian, I would fight Molson fans over this. This beer is like the winner of basic go to of Canadian beers. Put this up to a bud and I will take it 5 times outta 5. Deport me now I'll gladly go. You can taste the hops. It has weight. It doesn't come over as watery or cheap. It also isn't a hipster ipa level bitter. Bitter should be a slight part of a beers flavor profile, not the whole thing. This beer does it. If they refined it a bit to get it outta that value level flavor it would be a killer. I like it and I'm not ashamed

Sep 25, 2021

2.8 by aklavall from Canada (AB) on Aug 24, 2021

2.63 by ahuey333 from Wisconsin on Jul 04, 2021
by sisyphus969 from California

Guys, this was a 70s beer - back when it was a canadian owned company - the stuff you drank while you were driving around with your highschool buddies, smoking weed, listening to Led Zep with the windows rolled down on a Sat night in the dead of an upstate NY winter - so about zero degrees far or colder. the beer was cold and crisp - kinda like your face - you were basically numb so taste didn't really enter into it and who really gave a Fk? one thing you noticed, when the car skidded to a halt on the snow covered asphalt and you stumbled out to take a p*ss, the color of the beer matched the color of your stream - if that ain't poetry i don't know what is? Fkn A.

Jun 29, 2021

3.15 by jera1350 from Minnesota on Jun 11, 2021
2.68/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75
by JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

This time it came from a tap into a clear pint glass. Light amber colored and bright, but very translucent. A reasonable head and glass lacing accompany the visual. It's an adjunct lager and a Pilsner at that, so the lack of aroma is expected, not disappointing. What is disappointing is that it provides a hint of a good Pilsner up front, but the finish is pretty bad. There's absolutely no sharp, dry and clean finish, as a good Pilsner will have. Instead, it's blandly malty and characterless, with a little unwelcomed yeastiness. In Pennsylvania, we don't need beers like this to travel hundreds of miles to get here. We've got local mediocre beers aplenty.

Jun 04, 2021
2.87/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
by LucaDiCriscio from Pennsylvania

Solid shitbeer. Yes this qualifies as a shitbeer in my opinion. Though the flavor isn't bad it's just nothing special. A bit watery but still serves a solid beer taste. I could see this coming in handy at a party. Very easy to chug, the carbonation is not overwhelming like other shitbeers. Wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't complain if it was my only choice.

Jun 03, 2021

3.37 by Wilkolaczek94 from Connecticut on May 22, 2021
2.68/5  rDev -0.4%
by DarrellFine from Florida

First off, aggressive pour, little to no head retention. Looks like Wal-Mart apple juice. Smells like almost nothing. I work at an asphalt plant, so that may just be me. Taste? Slightly sweet (ish) carbonated water, absolutely NOTHING off- putting about this pilsner, better from the bottle straight out of the cooler, or fridge, than a glass or mug, IMHO. Good carbonation, mouthfeel is nice and crisp. ULTRA refreshing, especially when cold. This is a great fishing/ beach/ mowing/ whatever the hell you do on the weekend beer, especially at just 4.7% ABV. Not bad, but I prefer beer with more flavor...and more alcohol.... It will definitely fill you up before you get tanked, that's for sure. Overall, a solid weekender when you actually have to get shit done.

May 15, 2021
3.02/5  rDev +12.3%
by Tony787 from Canada (ON)

I bought a can at the lcbo in Ontario 473ml at 5%.
poured a 2finger head into glass that left a lace as you drink it.
slow carbonation with very little bitterness.
very easy drinking average beer .
cheers

Apr 21, 2021
3.37/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by BuckyNBeer from Wisconsin

This pours a golden hue with a good amount of carbonation and a decent head that sticks around for a while.

The aroma is slightly bread like but sweetness mostly dominates here.

Taste-wise at first it seems slightly more robust than your average American Lager however there is still that sweetness in the finish. Also a bit of grain is present. It finishes pretty smooth with very little bitterness.

All in all this isn't a bad beer whatsoever. It is easily drinkable but there are still better examples of this style from the American side of the border.

Apr 12, 2021
2.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3
by mnrider from Connecticut

11.5 oz Bottle - Twist Off - Unknown Freshness Date

A: Pours bright golden yellow. Clear. Strong visible carbonation. Two fingers of bone white head. Above average retention with some nice lacing. Looks good for the style.

S: Malty and grainy. Very light floral aroma. Sweet. bread.

T/M: Light bodied and crisp. Strong carbonation. Dry feel. Aftertaste is malty and dry. Light floral flavors are noticeable. Mostly cereal and malt grains. Crackers and yeast.

O: Not bad for the style. Good look and has a better taste than most adjunct lagers. Still weak and grainy with little hop flavors.

Cheers!

Apr 04, 2021
by Scott17Taylor from Iowa

Great adjunct lager, pours golden yellow with a fluffy head that stuck around. Very high carbonation.
Aroma is typical for the style, cereal grains mostly with a hint of grassy hop.
The flavor is a bit bolder than most in the style. Sweet cereal grains and a hint of bitterness on the finish. Carbonation is high, but not absurdly high.
Overall, I enjoyed it for what it was. Would buy it ver others in the style.

Mar 27, 2021

3 by GRhoads from Ohio on Mar 15, 2021
2.95/5  rDev +9.7%
by barnzy78 from Illinois

11.5oz bottle
I always preferred Molson Canadian when I lived in Canada, but have drank hundreds of Labatt Blue’s in my lifetime. I didn’t realize until now that I had never given this one a review!
L: pale golden body, lots of carbonation; thin white head dissipates quickly
S: sweet grain, cereal, herbal/grassy hops
T: sweeter flavor, light grain, cracker, cereal, modest earthy/herbal/grassy hops provide minimal bitterness
F: light body, moderate carbonation, clean & crisp finish for ultimate drinkability
O: why the 4? Because I’ll buy it again and again. It is a great grilling beer, lawnmowing beer, and most definitely the beer of choice after playing hockey.

Mar 12, 2021

3.19 by Hazey92 from New York on Mar 03, 2021

2 by Adam_stewart from Canada (ON) on Feb 16, 2021

4 by JuanPn from Louisiana on Feb 13, 2021
Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 63 out of 100 with 2270 ratings