Labatt Blue | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue
Liked This Beer
2.65 w/ 2,074 ratings
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Liked:
2.65/5
Alströms:
2.6

Ratings: 2,074 |  Reviews: 657
Reviews by punky796:
3.46/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden amber, about a finger of white head that dissipates pretty quickly, not much lacing.

S - Malts, alcohol, hops. Beer.

T - Malts, alcohol, toastiness, a certain chewy muskiness (a good word someone else here used) that I would use to describe beers such as this or Molson, Black Label, etc.

M - Not too bad, actually. Dry without too much of a macro kick. Medium-high carbonation and satisfactory aftertaste.

O - Pretty good. One of the best adjuncts/macros.

4.7/5  rDev +77.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the best beers i've ever had, I can't believe some of these reviews. This is my favorite beer, this and moslon canadian. Defiently my beer of choice. Pours a nice golden colour, with a nice tall frothy head. This is a great beer hands down. I love it in a cold glass, in a can, I just love it. My absolute favorite beer, if you are looking for a great beer this is it. Two thumbs way up. This beer is definetly recommend, these reviews are messed up, this is a great beer.

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

I just like this. It is mostly a historical liking on my part. But it's a nice standard pilsner.

2.88/5  rDev +8.7%

As a native of Baja Canada (Michigan) I was exposed to Labatt Blue, Molson and Moosehead at a young age. I joined the military after high school and forgot all about Blue. After Twenty years abroad (California/Florida) I visited a buddy and we attended a Detroit Tigers game. I had several Labatt's Blues and liked it. Several years later one of my favorite pubs, owned by a Buffalo, NY native, became the only bar in NE Florida to have Blue on-tap. I tried a draft and it quickly became one of my guilty pleasure beers. Its so smooth and far better than Bud-Miller-Coors on those hot Florida summer days. At 5% ABV it packs a little more kick too. Also, did I mention, its an import that costs less than all the domestics.

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L: brilliant straw with rapidly rising bubbles under a 3" pure white foam cap with good retention

S: light grains, very faint apple and fruit, fresh flour and some floral notes and a very faint hint of sulfur

T: bread crumb, low levels of fruit, a hint of apple peel, low levels of floral and spice, a light sweetness and a moderately bitter hop finish

F: medium light body with medium low levels of carbonation

O: drinkable, reasonably refreshing

4.45/5  rDev +67.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A reasonably priced good mass market beer. Seems to be rather fresh here where I live and moderately priced. Drinks easy smells of cereal and grain, and it also rather creamy. Taste is just very refreshing. Despite not being all that complex it is one of the finest pilsners for the mass market! For the price it is a good beer.

3.14/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce can, no date. Aggressive pour into pint glass produces a foamy white head. Very light straw color. Looks like a light beer. Smell is corn, rice, sweetness. Taste is rice, some creamed corn, adjuncts, some hops on the finish. Well carbonated and refreshing when ice cold, as my can was. Very crisp and clean. Much better choice than Bud, High Life, Red Stripe, Landshark, etc. Can't beat $16.99 for a 30 pack.

3.47/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.5oz bottle (B13725) poured into a pils glass at fridge temp (no ABV on bottle or website). The beer is a bright light straw yellow color with white head that actually hangs around and a bit of lacing. The smell is faint of malt and hops. The taste is a bit sweet with no off flavors and finishes with a subtle hop flavor and touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, adequately carbonated and finishes almost clean. There is a bit of soapy feel on the finish but it is light. Overall, very good. This is what I expect in a well done AAL. Clean with no off flavors and it actually maintains a head as you drink it.

2.71/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Transparent light gold yellow, foamy white head

S: A bit funky, some floral hops and sweet graininess.

T: A bit more funky, a slight lagery bite, similar to the smell with muted floral grassy hops and sweet toasty grains. Acceptable weak aftertaste.

F: Rather little carbonation, a slight creamy thickness, a bit warming, quite smooth.

O: Not very crisp or complex in flavour (of course) or exceptionally refreshing but I am pleasantly surprised with this beer. I must admit it's not as bad as I thought it might be but it also does not have that crisp refreshing lagery boldness I Was hoping it might have.

3.66/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Back in the late '70s and early to mid-'80s I used to vacation at our family home in Northern Michigan almost every summer. In those days good beer was hard to find in the wilderness and, more often than not, we'd pick up Canadian imports. Labatt Blue became a favorite and I'd even pick it up as a "change-of-pace" back home.

I honestly haven't tried it in about 30 years, so I had a rush of nostalgia. Going to rate it to the AAL spec's (1B. American Lager in the current BJCP Guidelines).

Couldn't find any discernible dating anywhere, so I took a chance on the $5 six-pack. Label calls this beer a "Canadian Pilsener," pretty sure it wasn't labeled as such in the '80s. Poured into my short Becher glass.

L -- Clear, very pale straw color with a sudsy, somewhat meager, white head.

S -- Surprisingly bready aroma up front with some lightly harsh grain back. Some light phenols with warmth.

T -- Grainy to lightly corny flavor up front with some mildly citrus and spicy bitterness and little to no aftertaste, but for some lingering corn* character.

F -- Body is light and crisp with a spritzy, thin mouthfeel.

O -- I honestly don't know if this is the beer I remember from the old days, but I wouldn't call it a Pilsner today. On the other hand, as an Adjunct Lager, this beer fits that bill quite well. You get what you expect and it's actually easy drinking and refreshing -- the epitome of a great lawnmower beer. I could see having this on hand for summer quaffing after particularly rigorous chores or just enjoying the patio.

*FWIW -- The Labatt web site claims barley only in this beer. This may be true, but there's a distinct corn sweetness in the finish of this beer -- maybe from the yeast strain?

3.65/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look and Smell- First impressions may suggest Labatt is nothing too special. In this respect, it's a typical lager. Bold aroma, light yellow color, and thick suds.

Taste and Feel- This is where it takes the cake. The aftertaste is minimal, it goes down smoothly, and it's not as bitter as the smell would suggest. This is also one of the cheaper beers on the market; price-wise, of course.

Overall- Labatt may not be as refined or revered as a craft brew, but it is the epitome of a tried-and-true favorite.

3.46/5  rDev +30.6%

As far as adjunct lagers go, this is a better one. Great appearance with color and head. Nose is a weak spot though with some cereal grain and hint of canned veggies, but the flavor on the palate is a decent malty-grainy taste with balance of hops to make it have some overall flavor worth enjoying. Too many adjunct lagers seem designed to have as little flavor as possible, but this one is more flavor forward and a decent flavor. If I was a regular adjunct drinker, then this would be in my fridge fairly often.

1.75/5  rDev -34%

has a hint of wallpaper paste

1.73/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I was not a big fan of Labatt Blue the only time I ever tried it. While sitting around a camp fire for a field trip in Grand Marais, Michigan, I was given one of these beers. The smell of the beer was horrible, while the taste of it wasn;t much better. I may give it another try sometime, but i am not a fan of this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Just what you'd expect from the Canadian version of Budweiser... A thoroughly average beer. Can't understand why people drink this as oppossed to cheaper American Lagers.. Just goes to show image goes a long way in beer. The same people (mostly preppie college students) who insist that Budweiser and Genny are "crap" will call this their favorite beer. Very perplexing. Try a Molson instead!!

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%

2.48/5  rDev -6.4%

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.75/5  rDev -34%

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 4.8% out of 100 with 2,074 ratings