Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Labatt Blue | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Reviews: 644 | Ratings: 1,998
3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

A - Average for a macro and the style. Fluffy head that dissapates pretty quick, no real lacing. Light straw color.

S - Not a lot of smell, but whats there is what you would expect. Some grains, hint of hops.

T - Taste is pretty good too me, for what it is anyway. Even balanced for an adjunct. Not a whole lot of flavor, but its balanced pretty well and theres not an overpowering adjunct taste.

M - Slightly above average for a macro, but only slightly. Pretty watery.

D - you could knock these down all night.

An above average macro. Not too bad, but nothing great here by any means. Definitely a Lawnmower beer.

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

Let me preface this by saying I live not so far from Detroit, deep in the heart of Red Wing hockey territory, and you just can't get away with living here without chugging a lot of Labatt. I'm very partial to this beer as a constant (read: cheap) drinking buddy.

s- On tap, of course.

a- A pale golden/amber. Just a touch more dignified than domestic swill, and thus the theme is set. Light head fizzles away to nothing.

s- Pretty average. There's some above-average notes of hops and veggies, but just barely. Hop-hounds will slam you for even imagining there are hops here, but they really are.

t- See also, smell. This is actually pretty good for a cheap beer you can pound all night. The bits of hops and veggies mean this beer just screams to be paired with food. Unlike plain domestics (Bud-Miller-Coors), there's taste here to qualify it as more than just water. Not by much, but it's there.

m- Purely average, but that's not so bad. It's certainly above BMC, as there's just that little hint of texture that puts its toes over the line.

d- I tend to prefer my LaBatt one pitcher at a time, all night long. If you're restricted to bottles, you may need two hands. It's always available, it's always cheap, and it's better than the other domestics. Frankly, I like it.

3.74/5  rDev +40.1%

This relatively inexpensive Canadian brew really hits the spot for me.

Appearance is very American, nothing exotic. Same goes for smell, but you can almost taste the sweetness with each whiff.

It's got a smoothe taste and is easily drinkable. Just a touch of aftertaste, but nothing bad about it. This is a good beer to eat a meal with, it's not to heavy and cleanses the palate within seconds of the aftertaste.

I like it.

3.74/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

L: Great looking can, quite clean and I love the Blue Label and name. The beer itself is a typical straw color, although its a touch darker than your run of the mill lager.

S: Smells like a cheap pilsner, with a bit of fruit.

T: I actually quite enjoy the taste of this pilsner compared to most other "cheaper" pilsners on the market. Nice character and refreshing with a bit of bite on the finish.

F: Feels like a slightly watery and thin style of pilsner. Good mouth feel otherwise; not as thin as a cheap lager that's for sure.

O: Overall, I've always been a fan of Labatt Blue. Maybe because I'm biased... one of my go to value beers.

3.73/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Honestly, most beer snobs think this is swill, but this is a true northern classic. Any canuck who's worth anything will have a begrudging admiration for this Sunday bbq classic.

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

Color is a little funny, almost a urine color, but who really cares? I really like this beer. I would agree with some who say that there is a "funky" after taste, but it's not horrible. I love the initial taste of this beer, and would recommend it to anyone.

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

Had this one when I was in Canada, and liked it fine. I even brought home some, yes I paid the duty. It smelled fine tasted good. Its look was average pale yellow. It had a higher alchohol content wich also helpped it.I would drink it again for sure.

3.69/5  rDev +38.2%

I'm not sure how people review beers in this place. Something's not right.

Comparing to American adjuncts it's decent stuff.
Nice maltiness, balanced -- even has a genuine pilsner taste to it.

I'll happily drink this over any of the AAL's.
Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

Tried it because I can't get Blue light anywhere here in Tallahassee. First of all, I don't know why so many people bash this stuff. Appearence is a little darker than alot of macros. Had a 2 inch head, in a pilsner glass, that died fairly quickly. Smell's not that different than any other macro. The beer itself tastes a little more "robust" than Bud, or Miller. Still don't know enough about mouth feel to tell you guys.
I've heard a couple people say this beer will give you a hangover if you drink to many...I'm not willing to find out for myself. Personally I prefer this to Molson Canadian, to me its a little easier to drink...esp when it warms up. All in all a better beer than Bud, Miller, or coors at about the same price.
Can any of you Canadians tell me if it is the same exact brew as you guys get in Canada?

3.67/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Most of us drank cheap beer before we moved on to more interesting and flavorful stuff. This is a very drinkable cheap beer. If I am watching a ball game and I need to pick something that I can drink for several hours without getting sozzled, this is my go-to. No, the taste isn't intriguing or deep, but I don't always want to drink beer that is intriguing and deep. Blue is refreshing and has a nice flavor. It's not in the same class as more expensive beers but it doesn't aspire to that class nor should it.

3.65/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

APPEARANCE: A clear, golden. Lots of bubbles swirling in the glass. A finger + of off white, creamy head that lasts a while and settles down to a thick layer. Leaves a pretty nice, thick lacing down the glass.
AROMA: grassy, bready.
TASTE: Same as aroma, really. Nothing off about the flavor.
FEEL: Medium thin body, good level of carbonation, soft...not as crisp as I would have thought.
OVERALL: Be great for watching the game or a barbeque. Pretty standard Am. adjunct lager but a little softer feel.

3.62/5  rDev +35.6%

I had this on tap in minnesota was pleasantly suprised!

pours deep golden with a 1" white head. Good head retention & lacing

Smell: Slight fruit notes, not much else

Taste: Clean & malty with a slight fruitiness. Finished pretty malty

MF: Good balance & carbonation

Pretty darn drinkable. Was skeptical, so I had 2 more. This was tasty. I would say this beer must need to turn quick to stay in form, but maybe it just hit the right notes that evening

3.62/5  rDev +35.6%

Time and temperature, that has got to be what it is. I have read all the reviews for this beer and only a few fit what I was drinking. Time from the brewing company, days, weeks, years, and the temperature the beer is consumed at. The six pack I picked up tonight was rather good.

First impression was wow, this tastes a bit like Bass Ale, the taste of gypsum and diacetyl (butterscotch) just a bit, with a faint hint of Killeans, the taste of peat moss. This first impression stayed with me for two beers, as the beer moved closer to room temp, all of the neat flavor left, darn. The rest of the beer had that water like quality I had read in some of the reviews for this beer. I for one, like to drink beer at room temp and enjoy the harsher flavor, but this beer is paradoxical, the warmer it gets, the softer it tastes.

Right now I am chilling down the last beer to see if I can get that wow taste back...

3.6/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

As "American Macro Lagers" go, this one is a pleasant anomaly. I have tried to find something besides AB/M/C products that I could have around the house for my less adventurous beer drinking friends. This one seems to fit the bill because it's a name they recognize and it's one I'll actually drink from time-to-time.

Pours nice, slightly hazy gold with a fluffy head that stays briefly through the first sip or two. The smell is almost non-existent (which is a good thing for some macros) but there is a hint of clean malt in the nose. It seems to be slightly more of a mouthfeel than most macros... but it may just be that I hoped it would feel that way. Regardless, the taste is clean malt, with just enough hops to provide a delicate bitterness that makes Labatt Blue very drinkable and refreshing.

Not bad. Not my "regular" beer, but not bad at all. I can't wait for summer to mow the lawn and enjoy one of these.

3.6/5  rDev +34.8%

This is brewed in my hometown of London Ontario where you can buy it fresh from the brewery. Drinking it fresh definately helps the flavour.

Out of the can it pours a clear pale yellow with a small head and no lacing

Aroma is light and dominated by malt with minimal hops.

Taste follows from the nose and is very typical adjunct lager. Nothing really to complain about though, malt forward with a pleasant bitter and dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a very high carbonation

3.59/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

In the world of Adjunct Lagers, it doesn't really get much better than this.

The beer is creamy and full bodied.
Pleasant flavors of savory granny smith and macintosh apples upfront.
A very smooth, rich, creamy and decadent pilsner malt sweetness complements the fruitiness of the apples mid-taste.
Finishes with a subtle and crispy nip from the hops.
No aroma but it's a macro lager so who cares.

Not bad for a 2$ beer.

3.58/5  rDev +34.1%

I poured this average everyday beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very beercolored. The beer had no head at all and looked flat. The smell was a little like pee. Othere thanthat the beer was good.. It had a nice clean taste if you held your breath and was pleasant enough to drink. i will buy again.

3.57/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pale gold with a finger of airy white head. Smells lightly of corn and very light floral hops -- traditional "beer" flavor. A touch more malts, hops and body than many AAL beers. Good carbonation. Pretty refreshing. Rating within style, which, I know, few people do on this site. Dare to be different!

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Labatt Blue is right in the middle of beers with expense and flavor. If I don't want to spend a ton of money and have a beer that I can always drink whether it's out to dinner or at a bar, Blue is it. First the USA headquarters is in Buffalo so I have a little hometown pride.

Labatt does a good job at making a beer that is good to drink, has a slightly sweet hoppy feel to it, and goes down crisp and smooth. When drinking its rival Molson Canadian, I find that, that is too nutty/grainy tasting.

When watching hockey or just sitting after a day of work and classes Blue is normally a good choice. And if I don't wanna get drunk on something that is too horrible to stomach, Blue is also my choice.

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Appearance- light golden yellow with a perfect white foamy head, slight carbonation on the glass

smell- corn grain and hops, not overwhelming but pleasant refreshing odor leaves you wanting first taste

Taste- slight malts and grains, decent bitter hop finish crisp light and refreshing flavor, very well balanced lager, enjoyable overall, refreshing as a macro lager can be

Mouthfeel- light thin bodied and easily palatable to drink, good slamming brew

Drinkability- Very highly drinkable, so refreshing crips and enjoyable a good example of the lager style, worth a try, OH CANADA!

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance: I don't actually know...I've only had these from cans.
Smell: Slightly metallic with some malty sweetness.
Taste: Wow, totally not what I was expecting. Starts off bitter, much stronger than a regular american macro and finishes with some light sweetness. Hops are very present.
Mouthfeel: Not bad at all, pleasant carbonation. I wouldn't say that this is a "full bodied" beer but there is definitely something there.
Drinkability: Very easy...I could drink one after another. For what it is worth, this is a decent beer. I would hardly say that it is the best out there however if you are looking for a cheap beer with a decent taste this is the way to go. I'd also recommend eating it with some sort of beef.

3.52/5  rDev +31.8%

I like this beer. Smell is grainy, a bit sweet. Appearence is pretty typical of N. American lagers. Medium to light yellow, minimal head. Taste is good. Goes down smooth with a little bit more bite than US Lagers which I find enjoyable. You can drink this beer all nite long and not go wrong. Best for watchin hockey, the Canucks know what they're doing when it comes to beer (and hockey)!

3.51/5  rDev +31.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer pours a light gold, without forming any kind of head or lacing. The aroma is a suprise. Considering it is a macro-lager style, there are actually hints of hops on the aroma. The taste is a little more flavorful than your typical American macro lager. Not by much, but there are hints of hops and malts in the taste. The mouthfeel is also a little bit thicker for the style. A very drinkable lager. Overall, I was impressed. This is a step up from from the usual BMC lager. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

The foam was light wheat in color and dissapated quickly. The color was deep golden yellow with some amber highlights. The taste had a balance of hops and wheat, a fruity and flowery undertones with a bit of tartness and end. Mouthfeel - medium to light bodied with a smidgen of dryness. Drinkability - smooth, somewhat dry and a little bitter. Ok session.

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Serving : 355 mL Can

Not really much to say about this beer. It's a Canadian AAL.. Golden, Fizzy, not a whole lot of flavour but definitely refreshing. Nothing offensive about this beer.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.