Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Labatt Blue | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue
2.65/5
Poor
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

2.6

Ratings: 2,085 |  Reviews: 659
2.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a bottle at The Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation and some light hints of bright yellow. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: There are light to moderate aromas of slightly sweet malts with notes of corn and rice present. Light amounts of grassy hops are present as well.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of slightly sweet malts and mostly adjunct malt flavors - primarily corn with some lighter amounts of rice and grain. Extremely light hints of grassy hops which give it a touch of bitterness in the finish which fades pretty quickly.

M: Just heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is a nostalgic beer for me - lots of Labatt Blue was consumed when I was a college student in upstate NY during the early to mid 1990s. Not really any better than I remembered it being but not horrible.

1.28/5  rDev -51.7%

On-tap 2/23/07 at The Celtic Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, with a medium white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of skunky corn and other adjuncts, some malt almost no hops.

T: Flavors of grain and corn are the most prevalent with a little bit of macro sweetness. The malt character is very thin and there's not much of a hops presence either. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Not crisp and not smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, dry and clean finish.

D: Not tasty at all, the fact that it's not filling is about the only good thing I can say about it. I definitely would not drink it again.

2.66/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. Golden color with a white head that stays around for a bit at a single finger. The nose is a bit of light grain and some husk. The flavor brings a few too many grain husks. Light body with a lot of carbonation. Drinks well enough, but not all that good.

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%

A - pours with a small head of white foam on top of a clear, golden body. The had disappears rapidly and leaves only traces of lace.

S - grainy malt and a hint of corn.

T - grainy sweetness up front, a hint of spicy hops in the middle and a dry, lightly bitter finish.

M - light body, moderately high carbonation, and a very dry finish.

D - light and neutral, it us hard to say anything about this beer, good or bad. A generic adjunct lager.

3.03/5  rDev +14.3%

This isn't so bad for the style. The taste is crisp, grainy, and clear. This a little fuller in flavor than expected too. Aroma and appearance are about average for an adjunct lager. I'd recommend this over the Big 3 any day. This isn't a great beer, but if you're gonna have a simple, mainstream lager you can do far worse than Labatt Blue.

2.77/5  rDev +4.5%

Another beer someone left at my house, figured I might as well review it. Growing up in Buffalo I have some pretty good memories of this beer and have consumed quite a few of these in my day.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Southern Tier 2xIPA glass. It poured a clear, light golden color with a very thin, white and spotty head to it. The head faded completely away after a few minutes.

The aroma is light with mostly a grainy malt flavor along with a little corn coming through. It does have a bit of a crisp, apple like flavor to it as well.

Like the aroma, the taste has a little of that crisp fruit like flavor going on in it as well. More of the grainy flavors are there as well. It has a pretty crisp and clean finish as well.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is on the higher side, but standard for the style. Drinkability isn't that great, there just isn't much going on here to make me want to drink more of it. Keeping style in mind though I think this is better then a lot of macros. Overall though it's just not that great of a beer.

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.62/5  rDev +36.6%

I had this on tap in minnesota was pleasantly suprised!

pours deep golden with a 1" white head. Good head retention & lacing

Smell: Slight fruit notes, not much else

Taste: Clean & malty with a slight fruitiness. Finished pretty malty

MF: Good balance & carbonation

Pretty darn drinkable. Was skeptical, so I had 2 more. This was tasty. I would say this beer must need to turn quick to stay in form, but maybe it just hit the right notes that evening

2.16/5  rDev -18.5%

11.5 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with steady effervescence feeding an already tall, white head tha-- oh, nevermind, it's dissipating at a steady if sad rate.

Smell: Mild blend of pale and pils malts with a hint of fresh-steamed veggies served up with a ramekin full of light corn syrup. Not exactly an aroma that screams "DRINK UP!"

Taste: Sweet, disparagingly corn-laden flavor starts with some simply pale and pils malts. A tad husky initially and growing huskier by the minute. Blue is nearly entirely lacking in hop flavor and bitterness, though it does eventually dry out on the lightly husky finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: A dreadful product, really, that's both unpleasant and unrewarding and should be generally avoided.

2.42/5  rDev -8.7%

CAN anybody explain why it has taken me 300+ CANs to review this beer in a CAN?!? Well, CAN you? I dedicate this review to one of my former students, Bluette (no last names), who went by "Blue". Blue, this is for you, how do you do? Enough!

This is a prime example of Stone's "fizzy yellow beers". I could not even finish the pour before the fizzy bone-white head wanted to give up on me. Oh well. Color was a light lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles. Nose was not blue, green or even yellow - it was more brown. Sulfur, if you get my drift. That CAN actually be a good thing in some lagers, but not if adjuncts are involved. As Salty Dog once said, "You homebrewers need to understand - the descriptor 'Fecal' should NOT be used as an adjunct!" Ha! Words to drink by. Mouthfeel was thin for all of that carbonation. Jeez-O, I really feel as if I am missing out here. I refreshed the glass with more beer (I had a 24-oz. CAN to work with) and still did not get any fizz on the tongue. What I did get was that sulfurous nose, but a slight sweetness on the tongue. Maybe I should just hold my breath when I drink this. Or better yet, a clothespin, like I once did as a teenager with Stroh's (I REALLY disliked the original recipe as a kid, who knows what it is now)! That was actually better! It had the adjunct qualities that I now recognize immediately, but for the style, it was about par for the course. The nose, on the other hand ... Finish was slightly dry, unobtrusive, another dime-a-dozen macro adjunct lagers. Oh well. I still remember my first - liberty in Vancouver during Expo 1986 at a strip joint. It was much better then.

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%

Lucent flax. The bone white head is actually pretty decent. It has a creamy frothiness that one doesn't often see in a beer of this style. Still at two fingers at the several minute mark, it leaves an unimpressive amount of weak, quickly melting lace.

There are no surprises in the nose. It isn't as assertive (and therefore not as bad?) as many other macro lagers. I can appreciate moderately sweet grain with a minor tickle of floral hops. Although it's forgettable, at least I don't cringe as I bring the glass up to my mouth.

Labatt Blue is definitely on the lighter end of the style scale regarding flavor. Again, I'm having trouble thinking of that as a negative. There's very little bitterness, just a barely perceptible bite to go along with the lightly sweet, light corny flavor that is especially noted on the back end. Short, clean finish.

I haven't had one of these in at least a decade, but it used to be my favorite beer. Actually, it was my first favorite beer. Then I discovered Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Ale and never went back. I don't remember it as being this weak, but then my palate has undergone major changes in the past few years.

I imagine that calling Blue an *American* macro lager pisses off those from the Great White North who can be bothered to be protective about a macro. I would never buy it by the sixer, but as a poundable, 'don't wanna think about it' kind of beer, this stuff ain't bad. It has no real negatives, unless one considers a lack of positives to be a negative.

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Borderline bad, not something I'd want to have to drink that often either even if it was handed to me at a party. A run of the mill cheap American Lager with a funny smell and a bland taste. There are so many other beers, even macro beers, that are better than this.

2.82/5  rDev +6.4%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

This one started out much like the rest of the night would, with a light and fizzy yellow pour with a small head of white on top that hung around for just a few brief moments before falling back down to earth. Light aroma of grain and corn, I could swear there was a touch of light piney hops, but quickly overrun as it warmed up. Crisp and clean, very smooth body made it almost tolerable as I take the first few sips. A light bready and grainy taste, but mostly just very clean with a light dryness in the finish which served to clean the palate and ready you for another quite quickly.

Overall I have to admit it was not terrible. I am not admitting I would go by this one again, but it was certainly not the worst thing I had last night.

3.12/5  rDev +17.7%

I poured this from the brown bottle chilled into a mug.

The color is golden and clear with sudsy white head with average bead and spotty lace, carbonation is visible rising rapidly. The smell is dull and lightly herbal scented with almost grassy odor with low malt and no yeast in the aroma with faint pils odor. The feel is moderatley highly carbonated with low sweetness and slight dry feel with light creaminess and very mild bitterness with finish dry for the most part.

The flavor has light malt up front slightly obscured by the highly carbonated quality with gentle hop balancing the light sweetness w/out any real depth or complexity in taste. Overall a pretty bland lager, just ok without any real noticeable flaws in the flavor department, not recommended based on enjoyment -it isn't bad per se, unless you expect the taste of malt or hops.

2.16/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.84/5  rDev +7.2%

Labatt Blue is typical beer from North America. Pours golden clear with thin white head that eventually dissapates. The smell and taste include mostly grains and subtle hop to clear the pallet. Mouthfeel is light in body with good carbonation. Overall it is drinkable.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 2.65 out of 5 with 2,085 ratings