Labatt Blue | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt BlueLabatt Blue
2.65/5
Poor
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

2.6

Ratings: 2,087 |  Reviews: 660

2.27/5  rDev -14.3%

I'm a stout guy myself, but I figured I'd give this a try since my friend swears by this beer as a (cheap) AAL.

Appearance: Decent head. When that subsides, it looks like your average, generic urine-tinted pilesner.

Smell: Musky, almost metallic smell.

Taste: Smooth, but that's because it's a bit watery and heavily carbonated. At first, all you can taste is carbonation before the tastes of corn and malt come into play.

Mouthfeel: Nothing special. Carbonated water.

Overall, I like it a lot better than any other cheap beer I've had. I give it the relatively negative reviews that I have because it's just a weak "pilsener" with no real substance.

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

2.43/5  rDev -8.3%

As a beer it is ok, but as a pilsener it's terrible. The appearance is ok and the smell too but the taste isn't good for a pilsener. The mouthfeel is average tough but the rest of the beer is certainly below average. In general, this beer is fine but it isn't a pilsener. I would definetly give it a 3 if it was a normal lager.

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

2.15/5  rDev -18.9%

2.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this for the FIRST TIME finally. I always told myself never to drink these kinds of beers ... but hey, at least it wasn't Bud Light.

Appearance: About what you'd expect ... it has a pretty nice head on it, which is surprising, but it really just looks like Budweiser.

Smell: Cheap, lousy, weak smell. It could be worse...

Taste: A bit better. Watered down tasting, which is to be expected, but surprisingly drinkable regardless.

Mouthfeel: Watered down, but actually less watered down tasting than others in the style.

Overall, I'd definitely choose this over some other cheap beers of its kind. I'd choose this over some other American beers of this variety. To be honest, probably my go-to AAL when it's available... inoffensive, and actually kind of enjoyable. Definitely my favorite "cheap" brew.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 2.65 out of 5 with 2,087 ratings