Labatt Blue | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

poor
poor
Read the review
Labatt BlueLabatt Blue

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Labatt Blue is the best-selling Canadian beer in the world. Introduced in 1951 as Labatt Pilsener, it was named for the colour of its label by fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers football team. Blue was the first brand in Canada with a twist-off cap and won the silver medal in the International Lager category at the 1998 Brewing Industry International Awards. Labatt Blue, brewed using specially selected aromatic hops, is a well-balanced, fully matured, full-flavoured beer with a fruity character and a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001

Reviews: 652 | Ratings: 2,051
2.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When I was younger and we went up to Plattsburg and Montreal, we drank this like it was magical. It's actually just like Canada's Budweiser. Watery, thin, low flavor - in retrospect, Bud was actually better. Pass.

3.5/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Mason jar, golden color with a small fast fading white head leaving some nice lace as I sipped it down. Aroma was a simple Adjunct Lager with a touch of sweetness, flavor followed with a sweetness that put a step above just OK. Ice cold while doing whatever would work with this beer, it has history and that's alright. Not a bad brew overall.

2.22/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

It is what it is. A good beer hockey league brew. Serves it's purpose as a thirst quencher in place of Gatorade. Nice on a hot day too or while bbqing. Nothing spectacular by any means.

3.32/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Basically what I think of when i think of pilsner. Growing up in Detroit it is basically a domestic and my go to beer of choice. That being said it is not distinctly flavorful or original but it is fun and easy to drink.

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

One of my Stanley Cup playoff beers. This one stands out (to me at least) against other AALs due to it's heavier grain bill. It actually smells like and tastes like I am drinking something with at least some depth. The edges are tainted with a phenolic sting that is a little off putting, but otherwise, you could do a lot worse.

Not necessarily bad, but it's a pretty one note beer. I honestly would rather drink Budweiser than this. At least with Budweiser there is a little complexity as you can taste the rice in it. I'm not much on hoppy beers, but I'm actually pretty disappointed in how weak it is for a so called pilsner. My first pilsner was Bofferding and that is supposedly considered a "beer for the masses" beer here on BA and it's quite a bit hoppier than Labatt.

3.69/5  rDev +37.7%

I'm not sure how people review beers in this place. Something's not right.

Comparing to American adjuncts it's decent stuff.
Nice maltiness, balanced -- even has a genuine pilsner taste to it.

I'll happily drink this over any of the AAL's.
Cheers.

1.03/5  rDev -61.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a faint corn smell, not much of a beer aroma.
Appearance- A god awful faint yellow with a very small white head.
Taste- uhhmm, horrible is a good word for this beer. barely resembles a beer flavor.
Palate- When the palate category is the highest rated on a beer that should say enough. I can choke it down and it stays down.
Overall- I haven't had Labatt Blue in 25 years and i remember it being more shall we say drinkable. I don't know if my taste buds changed or if they tinkered with the recipe but this is terrible.

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I want to like this but it's just another adjunct beer heavily marketed around here. I guess moderate carbonation made the mouthfeel ok and it is not completely offensive when cold. Corn aroma and taste become more pronounced as it warms. Perhaps it gets a gold star for nostalgia sake.

2.29/5  rDev -14.6%

Hey, listen. It's not on the top of the list of awesome craft beers but in a pinch ($1.15 for a 24oz) it works and isn't bad. Plus, when your friends come over for football they will relish drinking an import instead of Miller or Bud

2.42/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3/2 Bottle - Clear pour, not very thick or heavy. Minimal smell, not many flavours while tasting. Minimal carbonation, easy going down. Overall average offering.

1.84/5  rDev -31.3%

Brilliant straw color. The white 2 finger head is quickly dead. Nothing special.

Flavors and aromas of corn with a fruity/sugary feel. Very faint taste but well balanced.
Slight metallic smell.

Light slick body with average carbonation. Short and faint sugary finish.

Overall : Bland beer with added sugar to compensate. Still feels relatively fresh.

4.94/5  rDev +84.3%

I don't understand some of the reviews. Top rated beers are nasty. And some of my favorite are ranked 6 or 7? I've tried the beers that are ranked high and have to ask… why? I've read the reviews and don't get it. I think, if it's not BAC over 5.9, it's considered piss water. But flavor that doesn't make me squeal and want my eyes to water, isn't a qualifying factor for a great beer for me.

3.46/5  rDev +29.1%

As far as adjunct lagers go, this is a better one. Great appearance with color and head. Nose is a weak spot though with some cereal grain and hint of canned veggies, but the flavor on the palate is a decent malty-grainy taste with balance of hops to make it have some overall flavor worth enjoying. Too many adjunct lagers seem designed to have as little flavor as possible, but this one is more flavor forward and a decent flavor. If I was a regular adjunct drinker, then this would be in my fridge fairly often.

4.02/5  rDev +50%

My only problem is that the bottles are only 11.5 oz and cans are 12oz. Hey do the math. Regardless, I'm a big fan of Blue, not so much Blue Light I love the taste and color. Its a beer that serves many purposes, great for getting a buzz, great for relaxing and great for watching sports. Can't really go wrong with Labatt Blue

1.59/5  rDev -40.7%

Tastes like spoiled rice. Did not pair well with the barleywine I was drinking at the time. Awful beer. Don't know what it looks like because I drank it out of a can.

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%

All in all this beer is a somewhat better adjunct lager than others I've had, namely Budweiser, Miller, or Coors, however as with any adjunct lager, I advise this be very cold when you drink it, or the funky sweet grain and corn notes will come alive in the smell and taste and it'll be much harder to drink, but this beer does have a nice crisp, smooth finish to it, other than that, it's got all the qualities of a typical adjunct lager.

1.76/5  rDev -34.3%

Shared a pitcher with the bowling team. They always have a different $7 pitcher and this week was Labatt. Wow was it bad. Ugly traw colored body. Taste like stale Bud with some sugar water added. I don’t mind when the $7 pitcher special is Pabst, Coors, or Miller, but this stuff was terrible. We ended up not finishing the pitcher :(

4.25/5  rDev +58.6%

Pours clear, light golden color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly. Only a slight lacing. Heavy carbonation, mild flavor but not watery. Hints of citrus and nutty, bitter finish. Easy drinking. A very good everyday beer, even if unremarkable.

It's certainly not a great beer, but I wouldn't call it "poor" as the ratings imply. It's got a little flavor and is very easy to drink. It's one of the better beers in its price range. OK is what I would call it.

2.92/5  rDev +9%

For a cheap beer, it is refreshing and not bad. It's definitely no craft beer but, I always like a good Labatt once in a while. Good for when you want to drink a lot.

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Really boring... Not as gross as corona or the like, but super boring. No flavor aroma to be had here. But, it was cheap and it's refreshing with food I guess.

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Being from western New York-(Blue is a regional favorite here) maybe my opinion is skewed.
In my opinion a better alternative to Bud ect. If I'm going to have several (or more) I prefer Blue to the other options (bud-miller-coors) in its price range. I'm not sure that's a glowing endorsement-but I wouldn't toss it.
When I lived in North Carolina for several years Blue was as expensive as any craft beer in the store.So- I chose other options. Take from that what you will.

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle poured into a glass in a Calgary pub devoid of other options. There is a decent chance that this was the first beer I ever tried (when I was probably around 8 years old?). It tasted awful back then and is marginally better now. This was once a best-seller out here in the West along with Molson Canadian and the still ubiquitous Molson Pilsener but has since receded into the background as tastes have evolved and as other macro-breweries have gained ascendency since the 80s and 90s. A pale straw color and almost devoid of aroma beyond a vague sweet graininess. You might read things about the "blue jacket" on certain western Canadian barley varieties that imparts a distinctive dryness. Sure, whatever ... Although it is indeed the case that this brew is more crisp and dry than many of its adjunct lager competitors. Features a very subtle fruitiness that evokes apples and grapes, a generic white bread maltiness, almost no hop aroma or flavor, a massive dose of carbonation, and a faintly metallic semi-dry finish. I think this compares favorably to something like the massively sweet Sleeman's Original Draught, but you might be better served saving such comparisons for tickers like myself who keep finding themselves in places that remain craft-phobic. I do not get the same nostalgia here that Molson Pilsener evokes.

2.31/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a light straw color. The flavor is much better than most AALs but this offering cannot come close to well-made craft pilsners.

At least it's union made.

Labatt Blue from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.