Labatt Max Black Cherry
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Max Black CherryLabatt Max Black Cherry
Score:
Ranked #49,486
2.44 | pDev: 33.2%
From:
Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Ontario, Canada
Labatt Max Black CherryLabatt Max Black Cherry
Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 10
2.1/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Big can from Market Basket, tick.
Holy shit that color, crystal clear and somewhere between pink and purple with a small bubbly pink tinged head that dissipates instantly. Fake cherry wild berry aroma and little else. Reminds me of the flavoring they put in these flavored sparkling waters.Straight up artificial cherry berry sweetness. One sip was manageable multiple required some effort and it just gets more cloying along the way. One and done for this experiment.

2.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

For those not in the know, today (M, 10 Oct 2016) is Canadian Thanksgiving Day! That being the case, I will only be drinking and reviewing beers from our neighbors to the north today. I reluctantly began my celebration with a bottle, but it is now CANadian Thanksgiving Day!

I have to cop to a morbid (?)/basic (?) curiosity to see if this beer would CANtrast (at least in color) to Labatt Max Punch. The only way to find out was to begin with a loud Crack!, which is the standard with these extra-large 24-fl. oz. CANs. The Glug revealed that (at least) the artificial coloring was different. Color was Pale Fuchsia (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. Once more, I got precisely ZERO head, no matter how hard I tried to get it to come up. Nose had a sort of sour cherry cast, where I think of black cherry as being sweeter & an ice cream adjunct. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. The taste was actually pretty close to natural black cherry flavor, which I would characterize as semi-sweet. It had just enough tartness not to be CANsidered completely sweet, but not so much sourness as most cherries used in the production of alcohol CANtain. This was actually sort of pleasant, but again, dangerously easy-drinking with its 8% ABV. It had none of the sugary sweetness of its predecessor. Is it fair to pit one against the other? Probably not, but the first established a baseline, which this one is clearly above. Finish was semi-sweet, thanks to a light cherry tartness that made it more palatable than an outright sugary malt bomb. I urge you to bear in mind that both were AMLs, a style just below AALs, IMHO. To say that one is better than the other is still saying that each is its own pile of s**t. I drink them more out of a sense of CANuriosity than anything else.

Labatt Max Black Cherry brewed Labatt Brewing Company Ltd, with an ABV of 8.00% This brew pours out a nice light pink color with a small faint head. The head to this brew goes away fast. This brew has the look of pink champagne. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Labatt Max Black Cherry , is rich with cherry sweetness grins and malts. You can pick up more brew smells and characteristics in this brew, than the Labatt Max Punch. Now for the taste it is bold with bitter sweet cherry flavors. Then is brew goes off to a nice smooth clean finish. There is a lot going on in Labatt Max Black Cherry. This is definitely a better option of the two Labatt Max's brews I have tried. This one is more of a brew and more favorable than the punch. You can pick up on the 8.00%ABV in this brew. Now Labatt Max Black Cherry has a real decent balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouth feel of Labatt Max Black Cherry is Rich, Bold, Clean , Smooth, and Refreshing. Overall I'm giving Labatt Max Black Cherry a solid 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again . Labatt Brewing Company Ltd, did a nice job with this one.

3.46/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Labatt Brewing Co. "Labatt Max Black Cherry"
24 fl. oz. can

Tastes like black cherry soda with a little bit of alcohol added to it. Nothing really beer-like to it either, but it's a more natural, or should I say 'expected' flavor than you might find in a Four Loko or other similar item. The label says Labatt but it is brewed in the U.S., and I find it hard to believe they sell it in Canada. Of course they love their high gravity, so who knows, but I've never seen it in Montreal or Quebec City, and it's not listed on their Canadian website.

2.34/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

From the 24 oz. can. Sampled reluctantly on April 13, 2016.

Pink pour with a fizzy head that erupts and implodes in a matter of seconds.

The aroma is black cherry and some doughy bread but near nothing in the way of malts or hops. Perhaps the black cherry was so overpowering that nothing else mattered. I will say that I got no alcohol on the nose. So maybe that's a good thing.

Light and bubbly body like a glass of champagne or seltzer. Eh, a body I would expect from a hybrid beer like this one.

The taste can be defined as ridiculously sweet with black cherry juice taking things over. No finish to speak of. Oh why or why does New Hampshire get something like this but nothing from Bell's, St. Bernardus, or any number of quality brews.

1.58/5  rDev -35.2%

Look: Drank this from a can, like intended.
Smell: Smelled mostly like the can, and maybe a whisper of fake chemical cherry.
Taste: Picture a splash of Labatt in cherry Kool-Aid. Terrible
Feel: Felt.. Shameful. Very fizzy, like a cherry pop.
Overall: At $1.79 I had to see how bad this would be. And sadly this hit all my expectations. The only person I can see this being for is my girlfriend who hates beer, but she would rather have a whiskey sour.

Labatt Max Black Cherry from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 10 ratings