Labatt Max Ice | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

poor
Labatt Max IceLabatt Max Ice

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Formerly Labatt Maximum Ice

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002

2.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

1.55/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm sure beer gets worse than this, but I'm blessed that I have only had one that would fall to those murky depths. This is in the bottom 2 worst beers I've ever had, and it's cutting it close. This stuff is awful, don't buy this.

L - Looks kinda off-putting. A yellow, over carbonated pour with some soapy head. Resembles something between fresh urine and mop bucket water. But it's hard to actually fuck this up and it has a head so although it's not a pretty sight, it's not as much of a warning sign as it should be.

S - It's the usual for a beer to rank poorly here because it has no discernible scent characteristics. It's not as usual for it to rank poorly because it actually smells unpleasant. This beer has its standard malty and corny smell, but intertwined with a chemical aroma that just doesn't belong there. It keeps reminding me of cleaner for some reason.

T - I could give the actual account of taste, which is chemical doused corn and alcohol and not much else. But really the way I'd honestly describe it is like drinking regularly bad mass-produced beer, by pouring it on a shirt you've worn for a long time and wringing it out. It's oddly accurate to what you'd imagine, and just as off putting as it should be. Aftertaste lingers for too long, and is a haunting reminder of what just happened.

F - Admittedly the mouthfeel is not horrific. It's actually kinda average. Not that light, little too carbonated, smooth enough, and goes down even if the entire trip is unpleasant. But it's not worth it.

O - If you're not a broke alcoholic, you can be doing better. Hell, even if you are a broke alcoholic you probably can still do better. I refuse to believe that there isn't better options than this. Such as drinking antifreeze or huffing your own excrement.

1.25/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is just plain awful, it pours a golden color with a thick white head, I put it in the freezer for a half hour. it leaves little in the way of lacing. There is nothing good here.

2.77/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.62/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(24 oz can at $1.19... chilled then sat out for 20 min... poured into a Chouffe tulip)

L: just about crystal-clear orange-yellow... the foam does take a little extra time fading away, and it does actually lace a lil... I don't know, I'm digging the clarity tonight... now that I'm looking at it, there's a ton of dust floating around - huh?

S: pretty standard... cookie-candy like, syrupy malt... maybe the faintest whiff of sweet orange peel... no hops and only a whisper of spicy booze...

T: dare I say vaguely Belgian yeast and booze notes (industrial strong Belgian blond) up front - it does finish with a mild caramel sweetness and lingering metallic, old lemon peel, and grassy-bitter notes... the malt seems a bit too clean or perhaps muted - maybe that works in its favor?... the finish is a touch watery... dry-grassy, almost burlap flavor builds along the way

F: lighter body with a delicate viscosity... fluffy soft flow... the finish and residual feel is slightly watery, seemingly allowing the metallic taste to stand out more... quite clean and very easy drinking - the booze is there, like soft white noise near the bottom

O: flavor-wise its a notch or two too weak and mildly watery... one of the few 'ice' malt liquors that lives up to its name... all in all I feel it's well made... I could see hittin' this again in the future

Labatt Maximum Ice - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. Poured from the tall can into a mug, this beer's head is two fingers thick and slightly off-white, with solid lacing, and clear medium-golden body.

I smell a copious amount of earthy grains, and corn. Not too rough for a malt liquor.

Tastes like a decent balance of corn and bright, earthy grains. Nothing overpowering. This certainly is not the worst malt liquor I've had believe that. I digress...

The mouthfeel here is clean and crisp.

I'll choose to give Labatt Maximum Ice - Labatt Brewing Company Ltd. a 4 overall. Again, if one truly rates WITHIN THE STYLE, like we keep appearing to care about, this is quite a decent offering for what it's worth. If you want a malt liquor with more of a true beer taste, give this a try.

3.16/5  rDev +28.5%

Labatt Maximum Ice brewed by Labatt Brewing Company Ltd., with an ABV of 7.1% This brew pours out a deep amber color with a nice white head. The smell of Labatt Maximum Ice is strong with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of hops at the end. You can really pick up the alcohol smell of this brew. This brew is what some would call CORN beer, I'm not saying that is a bad thing. So far this brew looks and smells like most ICE brews on the market today. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors . You can pick up on the 7.1% ABV in this brew. There are a lot of grins in this brew. AKA corn. For what it is worth this is an OK drinking brew for the money. This is not your high dollar craft brew. The mouthfeel of Labatt Maximum Ice is rich bold and hard. This is brew you buy when you only want one. There is nothing bad about this brew however it is broader line death in a can, if you drink to many you will black out. Overall I'm giving Labatt Maximum Ice a 3 out 5. Not the best I had but not the worst. I would buy this again. Labatt Brewing Company Ltd., did an OK job with this one.

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

I thought I would completely eliminate and re-do this review just so I can tell you guys all about the joys associated with this one. No really, It is so bad that it's almost good.

Look - Ever heard somebody say a beer looks like piss? Well I usually don't see that with adjuncts or malt liquors but for the first time in my beer drinking career I safely say...It looks like piss. Dehydrated see through yellow with a monster 5 five white head of soapy bubbles that pop and have chemicals written all over them. Lacing is not a factor as I will not be drinking enough of it to know.

Smell - Remember when I said chemicals? Well yeah. It smells like something you would use to clean the floor of an industrial site. The corn adjunct it there but it smells like it got a fresh spray from monsanto prior to the canning.

Taste - Industrial hopes and dreams. and chemicals. Corny as all hell and not a manageable corn either. More like a rotten, insect infested stalk dowsed in cleaner.

Feel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. But at least it has something.

Overall - Even if I were to become a hapless, hopeless, homeless alcoholic you could not pay me to drink this stuff. I wouldn't gift this to my worst enemy as I would probably be charged with attempted murder. Even by the standard of Malt Liquors this is a horrendous beer that should be immediately discontinued before somebody dies. I sentence this one to death via firing squad.

I feel violated. this beer needs to go on a taste bud offender website for life.

2.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Cheap but OK. Better than most malt liquors

1.43/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.11/5  rDev -14.2%

473 mL can from the LCBO; served slightly chilled.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, frothy white head that gradually recedes over the next few minutes. Nice lacing. Looks fine, but my first sniff is enough to warn me what I'm in for - it's super corny, with grainy malt sweetness, cardboard, melted plastic and some ethanol being the only elements of note. Why do I get myself into these situations?

Pretty gross, even for the style. Very sweet, with lots of corn grist, syrup and apple juice. While this brew generally lacks the papery cardboard notes of many cheap, high-diesel lagers, the alcohol is rather poorly hidden - I am only 3-4 sips in and I am already sick of the stuff. The mouthfeel isn't too bad - medium in body, with a smooth, almost creamy nature due to the restrained carbonation levels. There are only two rules with beers like this - drink them fast, and drink them cold. I sort of broke the last rule, but I think I'm man enough to finish the rest of this can, despite the beer's overall unpleasantness.

Final Grade: 2.11, a disappointing D-. I only know one person who drinks this stuff, and it's definitely not because of the nuanced flavour. Labatt Maximum Ice is good for precisely one thing - getting shitfaced on beer while spending as little money as possible. If you're not an alcoholic homeless person, I can't think of any compelling reasons to bother with this one. For the record, I did manage to finish the can, but I won't be picking up another in the future.

3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

Labatt Max Ice from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.