Labatt Max Ice | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

poor
Labatt Max IceLabatt Max Ice

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada
labatt.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Formerly Labatt Maximum Ice

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

I thought I would completely eliminate and re-do this review just so I can tell you guys all about the joys associated with this one. No really, It is so bad that it's almost good.

Look - Ever heard somebody say a beer looks like piss? Well I usually don't see that with adjuncts or malt liquors but for the first time in my beer drinking career I safely say...It looks like piss. Dehydrated see through yellow with a monster 5 five white head of soapy bubbles that pop and have chemicals written all over them. Lacing is not a factor as I will not be drinking enough of it to know.

Smell - Remember when I said chemicals? Well yeah. It smells like something you would use to clean the floor of an industrial site. The corn adjunct it there but it smells like it got a fresh spray from monsanto prior to the canning.

Taste - Industrial hopes and dreams. and chemicals. Corny as all hell and not a manageable corn either. More like a rotten, insect infested stalk dowsed in cleaner.

Feel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. But at least it has something.

Overall - Even if I were to become a hapless, hopeless, homeless alcoholic you could not pay me to drink this stuff. I wouldn't gift this to my worst enemy as I would probably be charged with attempted murder. Even by the standard of Malt Liquors this is a horrendous beer that should be immediately discontinued before somebody dies. I sentence this one to death via firing squad.

I feel violated. this beer needs to go on a taste bud offender website for life.

2.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.02/5  rDev -17.9%

Cheap but OK. Better than most malt liquors

1.43/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.11/5  rDev -14.2%

473 mL can from the LCBO; served slightly chilled.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour, topped with one finger of soapy, frothy white head that gradually recedes over the next few minutes. Nice lacing. Looks fine, but my first sniff is enough to warn me what I'm in for - it's super corny, with grainy malt sweetness, cardboard, melted plastic and some ethanol being the only elements of note. Why do I get myself into these situations?

Pretty gross, even for the style. Very sweet, with lots of corn grist, syrup and apple juice. While this brew generally lacks the papery cardboard notes of many cheap, high-diesel lagers, the alcohol is rather poorly hidden - I am only 3-4 sips in and I am already sick of the stuff. The mouthfeel isn't too bad - medium in body, with a smooth, almost creamy nature due to the restrained carbonation levels. There are only two rules with beers like this - drink them fast, and drink them cold. I sort of broke the last rule, but I think I'm man enough to finish the rest of this can, despite the beer's overall unpleasantness.

Final Grade: 2.11, a disappointing D-. I only know one person who drinks this stuff, and it's definitely not because of the nuanced flavour. Labatt Maximum Ice is good for precisely one thing - getting shitfaced on beer while spending as little money as possible. If you're not an alcoholic homeless person, I can't think of any compelling reasons to bother with this one. For the record, I did manage to finish the can, but I won't be picking up another in the future.

3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

1.25/5  rDev -49.2%

1.64/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

This beer has one purpose, to get you drunk fast

3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

2.95/5  rDev +19.9%

From the 24 ounce can marked E02R3105:57. Sampled on June 24, 2013.

It pours an above average yellow with a frothy white lingering head. For the malt liquor style it is fine.

The aroma is strange. There are grainy barley malts, yeast and an odd sort of grape or wine note. That didn't impress me much.

The body was light and creamy.

The taste also has this wine-like thing going on but it does not bite or taste metallic like so many other malt liquors can. I give the taste a fair shake given the style.

It does what malt liquors do best and that is to get one drunk. Not a craft but it is brewed with natural ingredients and that to me means something. Don't flunk it simply because it is a macro malt liquor.

1.5/5  rDev -39%

2.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Labatt Max Ice from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.