Labatt Max Ice | Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.

Labatt Max IceLabatt Max Ice

Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.
Ontario, Canada

Style: American Malt Liquor

Formerly Labatt Maximum Ice

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 50 | Ratings: 91
2.15/5  rDev -13.7%

All in all, I was not at all impressed with this beer. Labatt beer has been going downhill lately it seems to me. The color was slightly darker than a typical adjunct style lager, but still pale in coloring. I poured it into a glass mug and it gave about three fingers worth of head.

There was a lot of sweet alcohol scent in the smell with a small bit of maltiness. Very little in the way of hop character.

The taste pretty much mirrors the smell. There is plenty of alcohol flavor in the taste, but it isn't overpowering.

Fair drinkabilty. Very easy to chug this i think, but still not at all impressed...

2.21/5  rDev -11.2%

Clear gold with a short white cap of fine bubbles. Good head retention for the style, looks decent. The smell is a bit harsh, syrupy sweet, grainy, alcohol. Cloyingly sweet flavour, nearly no bitterness, boozy finish. A bit metallic in the finish, significant warmth but not hot. Medium bodied and dry, fizzy, not an appealing texture. I'm not a fan, even for the style.

1.62/5  rDev -34.9%

This is the worst beer I ever tasted by LaBatt. When pouring it into a glass and it had a nice large white head that had good lacing, but not as good retention. I was not impressed with the smell of rotting cereal or rice that got spoiled. When tasting it all I could taste was spoiled corn and thought I was drinking urine. The mouthfeel was a watered down poor excuse of a beer, felt like something spoiled and smelly was in my mouth. I know this has 7.1% ABV, but if someone wants a beer just for getting drunk with a high alcohol content I'd say go with Steel Reserve or even Nat Ice would be better than this. I paid $1.59 for this can and I don't think I'll be able to finish it.

2.63/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The dozenth entry into Swill Fest 2010's guestbook. It pours a familiarly clear jaundice topped by nearly a finger of white foam. The nose comprises dirty rice (real dirt, not the style of rice mix known as dirty), bad wheat, and light syrup. The taste is kinda heavy on the corn syrup, while the burnt wheat brings up the rear. The body is a heavy-ish light, with a light moderate carbonation and a steel-y finish. Not the worst thing consumed tonight, but definitely not the best, either.

2.28/5  rDev -8.4%

Served in a pint glass

Beer #13 of Swill Fest 2010

The appearance is the golden I would assume the malt liquor should be, but it is still scary to me. The smell is of the corn and rice that you would expect, but there is a funkiness that I can't place...I blame Canada. The taste is much more bitter than I would have liked. The other flavors of it include many things that you would have experienced in the aroma. As far as I am concerned this is Canadian Ghetto Juice. This isn't very good, the mouthfeel is exactly what I would have expected, corn syrupy and unpleasant. This is drinkable if you are sitting on the curb outside the liquor store in Toronto, that's pretty much it.

1.64/5  rDev -34.1%

Sometimes I am convinced my wife hates me!... So she comes home from work with an evil glint of glee in her eyes. "Hey honey, I got a beer for you!" I look up oh hell no! Enter Labatt Max Ice in a can.

Yes I know a beer should always be served in a glass; however, malt liquor is best served directly from the original vessel in a paper bag and dam near frozen.

Appearance: Yes I poured it in my glass. The body of the beer is a bubbling pale yellow coloration. A sudsy white head stands up proudly.

Smell: Over cooked cereal and green apple aroma. Vague whiffs of something resembling industrial detergent.

Taste: The flavor closely mirrors the aroma. It is not gag inducing but this is a beer to drink for buzz worthyness.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light for chugging. The alcohol isnt exactly rocket fuel but aint pleasant. As far as drinkability you got to be kidding. Not to be repeated unless you are broke and desperate.

1.34/5  rDev -46.2%

Whenever I go beer shopping I pretty much stick to the craft beer section, but when I'm finished picking out my good beers I always go to the back cooler and pick up one cheap macro and bring it home just on the odd chance that I might find a cheap beer that I like. This week's cheap macro find was this 24oz black and silver aluminum can of MAX ICE from Labatt. Found it at Sal's in Addison, IL for $1.19

The beer poured a clear golden/yellow color and made a huge 4 finger white head even with the glass tilted at 45┬║. Unfortunately the head was completely gone within a minute and it left no lacing on the glass whatsoever.

All I could get from the smell was some faint grainy corn along with sweet corn syrup and bubble gum.

This stuff is awful. Maybe the worst beer I've ever tried. It's sweet but not a good malty sweet. It's like corn syrup poured into carbonated, metallic tasting seltzer water. Then add to that a 7.1% alcohol content that doesn't even try to hide any of the alcoholic flavor and what you end up with is drain pour. I actually saved half of it and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes to get it ice cold. I thought maybe it's called Maximum Ice because it tastes better when it's ice cold. That didn't help either.

It's got a medium thick body to it so you can't even call it light and refreshing, although the carbonation level is medium high so it's kind of spritzy, but I really don't care for spritzy corn flavored, metallic feeling, alcohol heavy beer.

Not drinkable - absolute drain pour.

1.87/5  rDev -24.9%

CANadian beer in a CAN on an AmeriCAN holiday weekend (Memorial Day)! CAN you believe it?

Once again, these oversized CANs have screwed the pooch in terms of the placement of the opening. It was far enough back from the lip that short of a complete inversion of the CAN, beer was guaranteed to run down the sides of the CAN. Grrr. My pour gave me a finger of foamy, bone-white head with medium retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the now-infamous smell of green apples. And plastics. What more could I ask for? Mouthfeel was medium with a sweetish apple-cereal quality on the tongue. How do they make this? The finish was really biting with an alcohol heat in the throat. This is not the way to go on a holiday weekend.

2.59/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Labatt Maximum Ice is the 'away' beer in today's Malt Likkapalooza, the thirteeth (and hopefully not last) knock-down-drag-out competition between... you guessed it... malt liquors. The black and sliver can graphics of this lager are preferable to the green and gold football motif of the Tundra Ice 'Monster Can'. But, as all homeboys know, what's inside the can matters almost as much.

The haystack gold hue is slightly less appealing, but the head on this bad boy is amazing. It's ivory in color, looks like it belongs on a Belgian ale (seriously!) and is plastering the glass with loads of gorgeous lace. How did they do that?

The nose is par for the style course, which translates to 'eh, nothing special'. It's grainy and boozy, but stops short of unpleasant. Let's hope the flavor has good brakes too or Tundra will take today's competition.

Max Ice is no prize heifer, but it brings the beef to this rodeo. The slightly higher alcohol content gives it a stronger punch and there's actually a quasi-crispness to the finish that is interesting. There's slightly more sweetness and slightly less muskiness, both of which help.

Better carbonation puts LMI ahead of TI in the mouthfeel battle. It's still nothing to write home about. Then again, after a few 40s, who really cares? I don't even care right now.

Congratulations to the Canadians for taking the Malt Likkapalooza XIII title. Labatt Max Ice did just enough to pull ahead of Tundra Ice and stay there. Is it worth your hard-earned money? No, but then your already knew that.

2.35/5  rDev -5.6%

I found myself with $1,50 in my pocket in front of the gas station cooler, with no beer in my refrigerator, and this is the best I could come up with. It sells well at the store, with people often buying cases of 12 at a time, so I figured it was as good as the rest of it.

A: black can with a lighting bolt shooting diagonally from the top-right of the can. Script is bold with gold outline. Oh, you wanted me to pour it in a glass.... Psh.

S: heavy hints of corn and fusel alcohol emanate from the extra wide mouth for quick guzzeling.

T: taste follows the nose, with a corny, solventy flavor that only a dirty canuck could love.

M: slick and carbonated. Nothing good about this.

D: not terrible, but there are better malt liquors out there. I feel like most MLs over 6% get terrible. Generally, the high proof MLs are more expensive, so just spend the extra 50 cents and get two regular crappy beers instead of one extra strong, extra crappy one.

2.6/5  rDev +4.4%

well this stuff sucks. Get drunk and visit a frat party.
Tastes pretty bad, stale corn. Carbonation and mouthfeel are pretty ok actually, so you can at least drink it and get a nice buzz on. The other plus is the price, nice 1.50. Medium good for the style. More alcohol and better tasting than olde english so i'd at least recommend it over the good ole' pissfoty

2.21/5  rDev -11.2%

Slick looking silver and black 473 ml can. I thought my American Malt Liquor experience should be Canadian (or at least Belgian-Canadian, but I digress)...

This beer pours a clear medium yellow hue, with lots of foamy white head, which leaves fairly solid, erratic lace as it melts away. It smells of sweet corn/rice mash, and some acetic, cidery fruit notes. The taste is sweet white grain and alcohol, skunky at best, some medicinal phenols poke out their unwelcome heads as it warms. The carbonation is moderate, the body slick, cloying, and oily, and it finishes warm, metallic, and, well, evil.

Not as bad as I would have thought, but definitely more about the booze than the other underwhelming ingredients.

2.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Bought this 24oz can from a gas station in Rochester NY in the name of BeerAdvocate science.

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that leaves spotty lacing behind

S - Is of grainy corny malt

T - Follows the nose with a sweet grainy taste

M - Has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - Well I can't say its a good beer but its fairly average for the style and its going to take some time to finish this monster of a can remember BA science needs you sometimes

3.86/5  rDev +55%

This is a beast of a beer I used to enjoy a lot in high school. I revisited this beer recently....ah the memories. This truly is one of the nicest looking macros I've ever seen, pours out a nice golden yellow color, with active carbonate and a 1 inch head that stuck around for a while, and then receded into a ring of lacing. Truly nice for a macro. Smell on the other hand was average, smelled like every other strong macro does, corny and boozy. Ah the maximum ice that I see so commonly in parks, and smashed in school yards, it does taste alright. Honestly for the ABV of this beer, it tastes like a stock 5% macro. Goes down smooth, with little bitterness, and little anything. Mouthfeel, is a bit thin tho, and overly carbonated. I have to give this one a 5 for drinkability, honestly when you walk into a LCBO near closing time, they will be sold out of this, people make fun, but they will drink this. When cold this is a dangerously easy beer to drink. Trust me, if you wanna get drunk on the cheap, this is one of the best beers to use.

1.52/5  rDev -39%

"Labatt MAX ICE" is a dense and quite sparkling yellow beer with a small foamy white head. The aroma is of corn and alcohol and perhaps some chemicals. It has a foamy medium light body with a slightly gritty finish. It tastes like the aroma: corny and boozy. It has a peppery chemical aftertaste. It's riot beer. Warning: may cause disorderly conduct charges at sporting events.
(rated Jul 2, 2008)

1.35/5  rDev -45.8%

Bears little to no resemblance in any respect to the other Labatt macro lagers. Has a strange grainy off-flavor with a nasty chemical aftertase. High ABV is not blended or mellowed at all and comes through harsh and offensive. If you're looking to get hammered and don't care at all about flavor, then I guess it would do the trick. Personally, I don't think having to drink enough to catch a buzz would be worth subjecting myself to the experience.

2.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Relabeled as Labatt Max Ice.

And here I thought I was going to tick off malt liquor from my list, but it's listed as a macro lager. It was also just 99 cents for a 24 oz can. I find Labatt Blue to be an above average macro, so maybe this won't be too terrible. Here we go...

Head retention is some of the most pitiful I've seen. Recedes to next to nothing in a matter of seconds. Lots of visible carbonation. Clear, but has some coloration to it. Otherwise typical macro lager appearance. Beers that look like this do not tend to taste too good.

Smells like things that are not beer. Plastic, wax. A whiff of grainy malt and a hint of grassiness. At least it's not very potent of a smell at all. But no redeeming qualities.

Strong taste of alcohol. Little beer flavor. Like a light lager with a shot of cheap vodka added. There's some actual grassy hop bitterness here. Probably was needed to balance out the extra malt sweetness. Some corn flavor, but not as excessive as say, Icehouse. Somewhat succeeds in being bland and unoffensive by the halfway point when the alcohol character is less present. Finishes rather clean.

Burns way more than a 7.1% beer should. Feels maybe a bit thicker than a normal lager. It's actually undercarbonated, surely a result of being poured and releasing some of the gases. I doubt Labatt planned for anyone to pour it out.

Of course I wouldn't drink this for pleasure, but if money was tight, I could make due with it. My string of no drain pours remains intact. When I'm not paying attention I can get it down without too much of a fight. Not compelling. I'm only drinking it because it's in front of me.

2.26/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a clear straw with a foamy, clingy head that manages to stick around a while. The aroma is sweetish and malty with light hints of alcohol. Mushy grains mixed with mushier veggies in the taste, some sweetness and a solvent like alcohol lies in the background. The finish is somewhat band-aidy phenolic and quite boozy for 7%.

Pretty boozy even for a Malt Liquor. Passable if you like the style but not worth it if you drink beer for flavor.

Presentation: Poured from big 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color. The head is big, foamy and bright white in color, which quickly fades to thin ring around the top.

Smell: The aroma has a heavy malty character that is bready and biscuity. There is a strong milled corn scent as well.

Taste/Mouth feel: A thick sweet liquor taste and a grainy malt character drive its flavor. Hop flavors are light and add only a light grassy taste and some bitterness to the finish. The carbonation is fairly high but fades and becomes rather slick in texture and its light to medium bodied.

Notes: Its malty to the max and it will get you loaded quickly and cheaply. Overall it is a passable brew for some serious drinking.

2.16/5  rDev -13.3%

Well, I had never seen Labatt Max Ice before, and I wanted something cold to drink while my quality brew was busy chilling. A big ol' 24 oz can... not much expected...

A- Large fluffy white head sits on top of yellowish copper liquid... Highly carbonated... No lacing, however the head stuck around longer than i expected.

S- Typical Labatt scent... Corn and light faint faint malt.

T-Ugh... Sour corn... malt says hello for a split second... then an unpleasant alcohol outro. Tastes like it's more than 7.1% abv... which makes this 'beer' rather hard to choke down considering the lack of any real flavor.

M- highly carbonated... light mouth... light body. Very shortlived.

D- Yeah, ummmm, i don't think I'll be picking this up again.

2.91/5  rDev +16.9%

There was a time, many moons ago, when I dared to venture toward the high-test Maximum Ice, and didn't mind. Now, thankfully, I mind. A headache in a bottle, as my good friend The Sage refers to it. That's not far off. It's not difficult to impress with the appearance, and Maximum Ice does OK, pouring a finger and a half of white cap on a light golden body; fair enough. The smell isn't bad, it's just absent. Sweet corn malt faintly arises with a little patience. After that, nada. The taste isn't all bad, emitting more hops than the smell, and moderate carbonation helps.

I would judge the drinkability higher, because it really is easy to have at least a couple of these. The problem is the penalty--the good chance of a headache afterward. By this I don't mean a hangover, the next-day physical blues from a good (or bad) eve of self-inflicted abuse. Rather, I mean an actual headache perhaps an hour or two after have a couple Maximum Ices. I've had plenty of high-test beer, some with far higher ABV than this, and have never encountered it. But sure enough, it's there, and The Sage, a beer connoisseur, has said the same.

Not too bad, but there is much better out there. Blue is actually a preferable alternative to me.

1.98/5  rDev -20.5%

5 kids, x-mas.,3 b-days, & new years...yup, i'm down to this ; poured a decent looking gold w/ a thin white head which dissapeared as quickly as i poured and left almost no lacing in my giant mug ; an almost noxious alcoholic and corn adjunct smell, almost a note of hop in there, though ; tastes like i should drink it from a paper bag, a big sweet corn taste up front w/ a vinous harsh alcohol taste to follow ; a watery,yet syrupy thick mouthfeel w/ little co2 ; i wouldn't drink this unless i was an alcoholic...

Pours a pale yellow color with a very thin head. Aroma is of malt and slightly of cooked corn. Taste is very strong (alcohol-ish) with the taste of adjunct and corn at the back of the throat. Smooth and somewhat drinkable. Good if you like high alcohol macro lagers.

3.15/5  rDev +26.5%

A rather drinkable strong beer, Labatt Maximum Ice does have it's moments. Pours out to a medium golden color with a short lived white head of foam. No lace. Medium low carbonation. Aromas are quite sweet, and have notes of corn and grain leading the pack of otherwise normal smells of macro beer. Taste is very sweet and dense; strong notes of sweet alcohol esters, corn, thick malt. Not bad. Mouthfeel is boardering on sticky sweet and syrupy, but remained tolerable. Drinkability is average. Not bad for a higher ABV brew. Special thanks goes out to Derek for the sample.

2.82/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a really pissy yellow golden, fluffy white head forms and disappears, some lacing. Smell is sweet, maybe some vanilla, malty, honey, grass, little bit of alcohol. Taste is sweet, citrus, almost a little skunky with some caramel and vanilla, little bit of iron in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation. Smooth, really not that bad, maybe drinking high strength beers has numbed my taste buds to alcohol, but I don't taste any in this, better than other malt liquors, no aftertaste.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Labatt Max Ice from Labatt Brewing Company Ltd.