Dallah

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
DallahDallah
Notes: Dreamt up by Ken Sorenson, our sales extraordinaire, this breakfast stout was made with a custom roast from our friends at Conduit Coffee in Seattle, Washington. A stretch for a Breakfast stout, this big bodied, milk stout was inspired by the coffee of the Gulf region and Arabian peninsula. Although there’s no bourbon, we spiced it with cardamom for a touch of warmth for the cold months ahead just as done with coffee in the region traditionally. As rich in flavor as the ornate coffee pot this beer owes it name to, (although brought to you in a can) this beer is perfect to sip on a brisk winter day!
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 15 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.29/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce can, dated 12/3/2018. Poured into a tulip glass.
I hate the term “ pours like motor oil” but in this case, yeah, that’s what it looks like. Thickly dark, absolutely no light penetration. Thick cap of latte foam bubbles rising up.
Oh yeah, the nose is all Turkish coffee. 1,2,3 whiffs is all coffee. If I dig deep I can get vanilla, heavy roast, and what I can assume is cardamom with a mild nuttiness.
Taste follows the nose. It’s heavy and rich coffee, no acridity. I get a very mild hazelnut but that could also be the cardamom. Dark chocolate, vanilla, roast, dark berry. This beer is mostly a coffee stout but one should expect that given the label. I have no complaints of it.
The feel is lighter than wanted but for the ABVs, I think it’s nice. Slick and lightly chewy, low carbonation.
Really nice, one sided beer but that’s what it’s supposed to be. Flavorful and I could have this in my coffee mug every morning.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An aggressive pour yields an ebony body with a rich deep dark brown head. Dissipates eventually with no lacing.

Nose is roasty and the cardamom comes through pleasantly. Not a spice you see used a lot in brewing and I think it works really really well here. Some gentle coffee but the cardamom is actually more the driver for me. Like a warm coffeeshop/bakery. Maybe hints of dark chocolate underneath.

Darker than the nose let on, less roasty it tends closer to char, but not quite that far. Bitter coffee and bakers chocolate push this even farther in that direction. The spice is certainly still there hovering around the edges, but it doesn't run the show like it did on the nose.

Body is smoothe with a surprisingly dry finish. Maybe a little less full bodied than would be my first choice, but it doesn't detract. Tiny pricks of carbonation accent the spice and coffee. Alcohol is well integrated.

This is a really tasty breakfast stout. Has some unique characteristics with the cardamom and that, and I am really enjoying it.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had both on tap at the taproom and in cans.

Great taste, excellent velvety mouthfeel. Perhaps a LITTLE lighter than I'd expect on the mouthfeel, but that's really the only nitpick I can find. This is a great stout, period. Very well done. If you can snag a 4 pack or get it on tap, just do it. Don't hesitate, just buy it.

Dallah from Matchless Brewing