9th Cloud

From:
Matchless Brewing

Washington, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
9th Cloud9th Cloud
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 13 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Just a little hazy, golden amber in color, with ample foam in the Caution Brewing nonic. Pleasantly sudsy in the mouth wit a medium body and malty substance. It's full of fruity aroma. Tangy mango is the word for flavor. Hints of orange peel.

There doesn't seem to be much bitterness in this at all, though there is a slight bitter edge in the aftertaste. Overall this is a better than average hazy IPA. I would get a four pack next trip as this would be a good IPA for a long sip when you don't need a punch in the mouth. From the 16 oz can purchased at Central Market in Shoreline, Wash.

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%

This recently arrived in my latest Tavour shipment & I am anxious to give it a whirl. It is indicative of The CANQuest (tm) that the majority of my boxes have been filled with CANs.

From the CAN: "Hops: Waimeam El Dorado, and Citral[;] Malt: Pale, Oats, Wheat[;] Yeast: Juice[;] Descriptors: Cloudy, Sleepy, Tropical".

I had hoped that their West Coast Masshole might be salvageable, but it was a murky brown with purplish tincture & since it was under a voluntary recall, I drainpoured it & quickly moved on to this one. I began by Crack!ing open the vent & giving it a moderately heavy-handed Glug since it was identified as being "Hazy". It quickly puffed up with better than two fingers of dense, foamy, bone-white head with good retention, slowly falling away, but leaving nice lacing behind. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Nose smelled like another round of tropical fruit salad & while that was appealing to me once upon a time, now it is an annoyance since it a) does not match the AIPA style & b) I am usually the low rating outlier since I rate/review to style & not to taste. I want bitter hops! Mouthfeel was full and creamy. Mmm. The taste was very tropical, evincing papaya, guava, pineapple & mango, but I just felt very sad & unfulfilled. I understand that this sort of thing is what some people enjoy, just like Tarts & Sours, but not me. There really needs to be a break-out style specifically for NE hazebro AIPAs, IMHO. Finish was semi-sweet, but just too fruity for my taste. 8=(

9th Cloud from Matchless Brewing