Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tripel Van De Garre | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre
4.36/5
Outstanding
Tripel Van De GarreTripel Van De Garre

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Tripel

This is the house beer for the famous De Garre pub in Brugges, Belgium. Brewed using traditional Belgian triple base with three times the amount of malt allows the brewer to achieve the 11% ABV.

Added by Popsinc on 11-03-2003

#556

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev -9.2%

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at De Garre in Bruges.

Poured into the iconic glass, this beer is gorgeus! Maybe the best looking blonde beer I've ever seen. Color is yellow, a bit hazy, with a massive slab of foam that barely moves when you swirl the glass. It looks like whipped cream.

The foam hampers the smell a bit, but what you get is yeasty and spicy with hints of apple.

The taste is massive and yeasty. Lots of plums, treacle and spices fight for you attention, and there is NO hint of the 11%. Dangerous...

Mouthfeel is medium and chewy, well carbonated.

This beer is just a treat, easily my favorite tripel, Great looking and great tasting.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On draft at de garre. Impeccable presentation- huge billowing, stubborn ivory heard. Aroma of bready yeasts, esters, cloves. Wonderful balance between sweetness, bitterness, fruitiness. Creamy a smooth. No hint of the 11% ABV. Superb - paradigm of the style!

4.1/5  rDev -6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.69/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Having it from cage and cork bottle.

L: yellow with a slight bit of orange. Very active carbonation. Solid 2 finger head of pure white thatbdissipatwd slowly and left heavy lacing.

S: Yeasty notes over a fairly bright citrus smell. Very pleasing and direct scent of bready warmth.

T: Matching the scent there is a pleasant orange taste that is paired with sour dough tastey yeast.

F: light and bubbley. Very easy to drink with a pleasant after. Too easy to drink in huge quantity.

O: very very easy and appealing. Not overpowering or bitter. Highly enjoyable. This one is great for almost any occasion.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

As far as this style goes, I've really only had a few examples - of course La Fin Du Monde, which I like quite a bit, and a Westmalle a couple of weeks ago which I thought was one of the best beers I have ever had.

I was really excited about exploring this style of beer after I had my first Westmalle, and this beer reminds me why I was so excited.

The taste is phenomenal. I mostly drink American style IPA of course, but this is on another level to me as far as beer goes. It's amazing. So the only things I don't like as much are maybe compared to that style of beer - I gave this beer a 4 for Smell because it just isn't quite as strong as how I normally like beer to smell. Feel wise, and I noticed this with Westmalle, it feels like the carbonation hits a bit hard. So I'm not sure if that's a stylistic thing, and I'm just not used to the mouth feel yet, but its not exactly how I like my beers.

Overall though, taste gets a 5 from me and that's just about the most important category in my opinion. Just awesome, probably a new reference taste for me.

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tripel Van De Garre from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.