Gulden Draak | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden DraakGulden Draak

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Dark Triple Ale brewed with caramel malt and re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

4.2

Ratings: 3,918 |  Reviews: 1,336

1.44/5  rDev -65.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

This beer is awful! I don't understand all the hype at all! And I'm a huge fan of Quads, BSDAs, Dubbels, Tripels and Barleywines.

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

Cherry cough syrup disguised as beer.

1.5/5  rDev -64.3%

1.99/5  rDev -52.6%

A-dark ruby brown with a LOT of light tan head

S-sweet barley and some syrup, a tad bit boozy as well.

T-eh this is quite boozy, i get some syrup but not too much else. this is just way too harsh of a beer. the abv is way too striking in apparent. i get an after-taste of some belgian sugars.

M-high carbonation, very scratchy to the mouth, and very dry as well.

D-I can't finish this. I'm used to drinking some high alcohol content beers but this one is just way too much of a mess. I hate it.

2.03/5  rDev -51.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter

A: Amber colored with a persistent, foamy head. I assumed it was going to be golden.

S: Smells of overripened apricots, bubble gum and cotton candy. Wait, what? Yes, it smells spectacularly sweet like carnival confections.

T/M: The taste follows suit: molasses, blackberries, pungent apricot, it’s really overbearing.

I realize this is supposed to be strong, but I much rather prefer the taste of alcohol over super sweetness. I’ll keep this one in mind next time my sweet tooth is craving some candy.

2.08/5  rDev -50.5%

I was anticipating the sampling of this brew because I had seen it at my local beer shop on nearly every visit, so I figured it was in demand and desirable. Well, not everybody has the same tastes.

It poured a clear dark amber with minimal carbonation. The aroma had an interesting sweetness to it, like honey and flowers, very pleasant to my nose. The taste was a complete letdown. At first it's has a heavy malty presence with honey and fruit, sort of like a beer version of a desert wine. As it settled on my tongue it became heavier and more sour, to the point it was somewhat offensive to my pallet. It reminded me a bit of SA triple bock. This unfortunately ended up being a drain pour because I just could not force myself to have another gulp.

NO ME GUSTA !

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

Gulden Draak from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.