Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Gulden Draak | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden DraakGulden Draak
4.24/5
Exceptional
Gulden DraakGulden Draak

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Dark Triple Ale brewed with caramel malt and re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

#818

Ratings: 3,983 |  Reviews: 1,350

1/4 of a sampler. Body is a deep amber with an appropriate white head. The smell is just loaded with bubble gum. I was blown away. More bubble gum than any other German hefeweizen. The taste is very candy sweet. It goes down so easy and smooth, with enough backing from the malt to make it palatable.

I bought this beer after seeing and hearing my buddy's raves about it. Sweet looking white bottle and who doesn't like a dragon...or serpent. Whatever it is, it's cool! I like the feel of the bottle too. The white coating is a nice change to the standard bottle. From reading the label I didn't think this would come out dark for a Belgie but to my surprise it is.

Major bubbly head that has major clinging to the glass issues. Fruity aroma with a nice dark caramal appearance. The taste is a little different than what I expected. I am partial to "original" Belgian beers taste so I can honestly say I am not digging this as much. My palate just prefers the lighter "apple" taste of non-dark Belgie's.

I would probably not buy this again but I would happily receive and drink it if it appears under the X-mas tree this year. Santa?

This i a really good consistant beer. I've enjoyed it every time I've had it. It's not something I keep around but It's one that I like going back to. The taste is malty and sweet without being cloying. This is not a beer I'd drink a lot of only because a little goes a long way.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This was my choice for my 21st birthday present.

Aroma: malty with hints of cherry and licorice.

Taste: Sweet, but not to sweet. Notes of black cherry with A hint of licorice. Honestly very Jaegermeister like taste. Slight taste of liquor, but very well masked by the flavor.

Feel: Perfect amount of carbonation. If you swish it to coat your mouth you get an amazingly thick foam. This beer is a sipper, but very smooth with a warm dry finish.

Look: It's all about taste for me, but for those who are curious... Nice thick head with slight lacing when poured. Beautiful dark brown with a slight copper tone.

Overall, a great beer well worth the $5 a bottle. A great balance of flavor with a dry finish, but with a nice warming feeling. I highly recommend this one.

Gulden Draak from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Beer rating: 4.24 out of 5 with 3,983 ratings