Gulden Draak | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden DraakGulden Draak

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Dark Triple Ale brewed with caramel malt and re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

4.2

Ratings: 3,946 |  Reviews: 1,341

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a clear, dark coppery amber color. It poured with a massive, uneven, airy head that faded to large lumps of lace. The head never did fully dissipate even though I left the beer alone for twenty minutes.

s: Lots of candi sugar and some caramel with hints of dark fruit, apple, and gentle, well incorporated alcohol. There is something else kind of soft and earthy that I can't find a word for.

t: This does indeed taste like a dark tripel. Very sweet throughout without being heavy or cloying. Candi sugar from start to finish that does have a "darker" caramel note to it. Dark fruit up front getting faintly boozy toward the middle with a bit of earthy tart... something at the end. I'm not doing this one justice damn it.

m: Very soft, active carbonation. Seems to float over the tongue.

o: Just a wonderfully unique beer. I'm glad I finally got around to trying this classic.

4.16/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a murky red/brown with one full finger of light khaki colored head. The foam settle pretty quickly, leaving a ring of tiny bubbles along the edges of the glass. There is very little lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is very interesting. I get malt, spice, banana, berries, cherries, apples, yeast, and alcohol. I even get a touch of cider vinegar in there as well.

T: It starts out sweet and syrupy with a good helping of malt, spice, bananas and yeast. Yup. All that right up front. As the beer moves to the middle I get a bit of apple essence and maybe a touch of red cherries. As it moves to the back I get more spice, some big carbonation, and a bunch of booze.

M: Full bodied beer. This is a sipper for sure. It's sweet and sticky, but the carbonation lightens it up a bit. The flavors swirl and coat the palate. Big boozy kick in the back end. Finishes sticky and spicy.

O: This beer is decent. It's not an easy drinking brew, but the flavors are fun to pick out. I don't know if I'd return to this beer in the future, but I'm happy to have tasted it.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of those classic beers whose sheer complexity make it hard to sit down and write down the experience.
Pours an dark amber with copious off white head and fine effervescence. The smell - hard to describe with notes of caramel, vanilla, dark fruity estery notes, yeasty, roasted malts. Honey
Tastes of sweet roasted malts, apple pie (without the cinnamon), gingerbread with sweet notes well balanced and a lovely clean finish.
Medium body with good amount of carbonation preventing the concoction from becoming syrupy - clean palate.
My go-to beer for consistent quality and deliciousness - the only beer better would be Gulden Draak 9000.
It's so good I would get a tattoo of the dragon on my forehead - but I need my job to buy this excellent brew (not the cheapest - but well worth it)

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Gulden Draak from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.