Gulden Draak | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden DraakGulden Draak

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Dark Triple Ale brewed with caramel malt and re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

4.2

Ratings: 3,946 |  Reviews: 1,341

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Imbibed at Yard House San Jose, 10/12/12. This arrived with lipstick on the glass and I had to return it. Check your glassware before you enjoy your beer!

Dark cherry wood, opaque in appearance with a good amount of tan head. Foam looks powdery and packed, leaving lacing on the glass. Very sticky. I get notes of cherry, roasty chocolate and leather. Sweet presence of candied sugar is prevalent but not overbearing. Candied cherries and other, somewhat sweet, pit fruit starts out the taste. Some dark chocolate, maybe bakers chocolate, with some oak and a hint of alcohol burn. The feel is balanced, as is the finish.

This was quite the treat. Very balanced and complex. Hopefully it's just as good from a bottle.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Big light tan head settles into a pretty nice lacing above a well carbonated dark reddish amber colored beer.

Dark fruits (grapes and apricots) and sour grains dominate the aroma that is tinted with a bit of alcohol.

A light alcohol undermines a dark fruits and roasted grains and a slight sour taste.

A dry aftertaste with some of the dark fruits and light sourness stick around on this medium to full bodied beer.

A bit to much of the sour grains or sour grapes maybe on this for me, it seems it starts out pretty good and as I drink it the more the sour grapes keep coming to the forefront.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

A – A deep ruby-amber with a voluminous khaki head, carbonation slowly flowing from the bottom; the tight fluffy bubbles on top of this gorgeous looking body make my mouth water a little bit.

S – As one person put it, “it’s malty sweet, scotchy and dark fruity.” I think that is an utterly appropriate explanation. The sweetness invades your senses but it has a juiciness to it that is definitely the product of dark fruits and it has a slight alcoholic aroma to it as well. A slight bready backbone holds all the aromas together and they form a chorus of delight singing hallelujah into my welcoming nostrils.

T – Oh sweet ambrosia thy name is Gulden Draak! The taste of this beer is simply divine, something the Gods most certainly would find an adequate form of sustenance. It is both sweet and sour with the tones that I discovered in the nose following through onto the taste buds: dates, black cherries, raisins, plums, brown sugar, cocoa…then as it warms a sort of clove, cinnamon, butterscotch, tobacco, yeasty-spicy goodness invades the pallet, with maybe, just maybe, a hint of hops in there as well.

M – Velvety cream, a medium-full body with a fine carbonation that makes it oh so smooth to drink. Followed by a nice alcoholic burn that does not overwhelm but merely holds you ever so tenderly, and as my dear friend Harris once said about a cabernet sauvignon, it’s like the last fold of the blanket being pulled over you as you tuck into bed.

O – This is a beer to grow old with, I love this beer, I will have this beer countless times again over the course of my life. I’m sure I’ll find beers I enjoy more in the years I have left to me, as my exploration is still just in it’s infancy, but this beer is one of the first beers I have ever fallen truly in love with. It is a sonnet, a cool and refreshing breeze, the welcome company of a good friend, and a solemn promise of good things to come. Thank you gulden draak.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Gulden Draak from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.