Gulden Draak | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Gulden DraakGulden Draak
Liked This Beer
4.24 w/ 3,967 ratings
Gulden DraakGulden Draak

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Dark Triple Ale brewed with caramel malt and re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-19-2001

#803
Liked:
4.24/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,967 |  Reviews: 1,347
2.35/5  rDev -44.6%

After the rave reviews on here, as well as folks personally recommending it to me, I was quite dissapointed. So much so that I wonder if I got a bad bottle or a bottle that has been around too long. I'll need to try this again.

A - Poured a dark ruby color which created a large 5-finger cream colored head that quickly settled down into 3 fingers.

S - Smell was unique. Alcohol mixed with some sweetness and spiciness.

T - I didn't like the taste at all...which completely surprised me. Something about it just turned me off. Super high taste of alcohol, mixed with over-carbonation and an unpleasnant bitterness. Again...maybe I got a bad bottle becuase I didn't taste any of the sweetness that other folks have mentioned.

M - Mouthfeel was high carbonation and an unsmooth bitterness quality.

D - Not very drinkable for me but I will definitely go out and get another bottle to try again. I must have had a bad bottle.

2.51/5  rDev -40.8%

A: Mahogany body with a fluffy off-white head.
S: Vinous.
T: Eugh! Peppy, sharp AND very syrupy. Doesn't work at all. Phenolic with big liquorice and marzipan. Has the zing of a tripel but the flavour of a quad. It's like the bastard child of an English barley wine, a quad, and a tripel. Doesn't work! It's making me want to chuck, like a childhood medicine, or ice cream soda. I'm gonna spew......!!!!
O: Jeez!

2.58/5  rDev -39.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. I've been sort of afraid of this beer since the cork from a 750ml bottle shot me in the eye last May. Now's a good a time as any to face my fears.

A: Dark red, slightly darker than a barleywine. Two-finger head that quickly fades.

S: Heavily fruity. Not just dark fruits, either. There's also BSPA-like pear and citrus notes. This really is like a dark tripel.

T: Yikes. Cloying sweetness combined with heavy phenols. Bready aftertaste.

M: Lighter than expected with the carbonation.

D: Drain pour. I should have left this dragon in its lair. I'm going to have to have a Saison Dupont just to cleanse my palate.

2.58/5  rDev -39.2%

Crimson, with a big white head. not much odor, some alcohol noticeable. ethanol is the main flavor of this beer...it hangs out in your mouth along with a sweet flavor like unfermented malts. alcohol hits hard with this sucker. it is a real bastard. mouthfeel quite thick. not easy to drink because of the alkee-hol. unfortunately it packs a punch without any real desireable flavor to go with it. an experience but not necessarily a delicious one.

2.59/5  rDev -38.9%

Way too sweet for me and friends. Too carbinated. Too high in alcohol. Too creamy. Maybe as dessert beer, but much better competitors there. Comparable to soft drink when you are expecting beer.
Interesting range from this brewery though. And great
bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Has a sweet after taste. Not my favorite.

2.69/5  rDev -36.6%

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%

Written from notes...
Served in a bizzare, white bottle, the beer pours a muted hazelnut color with a thin head. The nose is sweet and orange, with raspberry and a metallic element. An initial bitterness to taste turns quickly into an ULTRA sweet bit, fading nicely into spices in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-to-full, and with good carbonation. This beer is highly drinkable *IF* you can stomach that crazy sugar shock half-way through.

2.76/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours into the glass with a dark red, almost brown color, topped with a decent creamy head.
The aroma is a combination of fruity and roasted smell, together with a strong alcohol note at the end.
The starts is pleasant, sweet and fruity, followed by some yeastiness and a strong alcohol hit in the end.
Not really my favourite, a bit too strong to really enjoy in this one.

2.8/5  rDev -34%

The white bottle and 10.5 ABV had my hopes high - and, it's Belgian, which is always great!

A - Poured a dark, cream soda like color, with a short bubbly tan head. Minimal lacing

S - Lots of sweet toasted malt, caramel, and a strong maple scent.

T - This is a crazy sweet beer, like liquid maple candy! You can feel the heat of the 10.5 ABV level creeping back up your throat and warming your ears after the first few sips. I got a bit of malt, but mostly straight up maple sweetness.

M&D - Lots of carbonation and a thick, creamy, sticky film coated my mouth. I think my teeth were aching a little from the excessive sweetness.

This is definitely a sipping beer, a good replacement for those who don't like wine, but are hanging out with winos. Somewhat reminiscent of Chimay, just not nearly as good.

I can appreciate this beer for what it is, it's just not for me.

2.82/5  rDev -33.5%

Dark rusty murkiness with a thin light tan head.

Aromas of sugary dark fruit jams.

Flavors of boozy dark fruit, kinda sweet with a little tartness and alcohol heat.

Medium-full body, prickly carbonated mouth feel, and stewed boozy dark fruit and yeast on the finish.

I don't know about all this "dark triple" business. Kinda tastes like a dubbel or a light quadrupel. So can I brew a classic Belgian triple and call it a dubbel blonde?

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

2.89/5  rDev -31.8%

Kept running into this beer at the store and figure I'd give it a try.

A: Very dark, red-tinged brown, and quite hazy. Plenty of head on this one, and plenty of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle. I smell some sweetness, and a bit of grassy base, but it nothing really overpowers me.

T: Strong peppery taste with a warm and seet finish. Maybe some corriander and other spices in the aftertaste. Not much in the way of hops, that I can taste.

MF: Very tingly, hard to tell if it's carbonation or just the pepper. Somewhat noticable alcohol, and pretty warming. Thick, syrupy, coating the mouth with a strong aftertaste.

D: Not bad. The flavor is a little underdeveloped. A bit too carbonated for my taste as well. Not a bad beer, but as far as Belgian beers go, you can do a lot better. Maybe Trippels just aren't my thing. I dunno.

Gulden Draak from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Beer rating: 90.6% out of 100 with 3,967 ratings