Piraat | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Belgium | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Belgian Strong Pale Ale, re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001

Reviews: 1,026 | Ratings: 2,386
Reviews by jenbys2001:
4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

I absolutely love this beer, it's one of the most unique and complex beers I've had the pleasure of trying. It pours golden and creamy with a gorgeous head. The taste is nearly indescribable and packs a serious punch. It has a strong yeasty flavor with earthy, spicy notes as well as creamy fruit tones. It has a strong phenol character, which normally I don't care for, but it lends a bold sharpness to this beer which I found very alluring. This beer has a lot of warmth to it which I'm sure is related to the high ABV. While drinking too many glasses could be dangerous, I really enjoyed this flavorful beer.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This feisty Belgian is akin to going to a lavish ball attended by nobility such as Lord Draak of Tilden and the Ladies Chimay, and then meeting a rollicking, burping, more "punk" party crasher taking way too many turns at the punch bowl. This is Piraat. A fantastic time that makes you feel young despite its own age. As a lover of strong beers AND Belgian brews, I was ecstatic to find another powerful contender for top spot in my bar. While it lacks the sublime harmony that a Draak brings to the table, it is by no means lacking in any way. I would recommend this as a great starting point for anyone ready to walk the plank into darker Belgian territories. Happy drinking all!

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the 750 ml bottle in a snifter glass. This fine BSA pours a nice clear
amber color with a nice head of white dissipating foam that settles to a thick
ring, thin layer, and light lacing. Nose of green apples, candy sugar, subtle
yeasty esters, pears, and bubblegum. Flavors follow but exceed by volume with
pear and apple notes on the sides and front being seared into place by strong
alcohol and candy sugars. Honey and bubblegum follow on the middle and fade in the rear
with a nice bitter herbal hop note that that lingers with warming booze. Excellent mouth feel;
prickly and lively carbonation that gives a medium full mouth feel and a lingering sweet yet spicy
finish with a touch of white pepper and hop notes. Excellence from Belgium. Period.

Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Amazing. Hazy golden body with a thick, lasting white head. Smell of lemon peel, a little herbal hop, candy sugar, and yeast. Fantastic taste that is smooth and sweet with just enough bitterness to prevent any sticky, cloying sweetness. There is a nice malt backbone to this with a smooth honey and candy sugar sweetness.

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I wandered as I wondered in one of my local bottle shops, Oooh, what's in those clearance boxes of beers? A treasure trove, matey! "6 Exclusive Belgian Ales" apparently, working out to $4.00 USD/BT. Whoo! Aged, on the shelf in cool conditions in a box?!? Sign me up!

How have I not set sail on the Piraat ship before now?!? I am a retired US Navy sailor who started out in Deck Department & worked my way to Supply before retiring as a qualified Shellback; Bluenose; Plankowner & Order of the Ditch (Suez). I've been blewed, screwed & tattooed, all at the same time, several times over. I shook hands with Davy Jones, helped him open his Locker when it got stuck; married a mermaid (briefly) until we just couldn't make it work & had our marriage annulled; retrieved 200' of sound-powered phone line; gotten an HT punch; issued Fallopian tubes; broken cherries only to repair them with a welding rod, just like the crack of dawn, the crack of one's a** & the crack of the Liberty Bell (until I was ordered to stop) and so many other seaworthy tales that I shudder to tell ye landlubbers.

A Pop! of the cap and we were underway! The head rose up like an angry sea, washing along the sides of the glass as though the gunwales were that low. I directed the crew to secure everything & watch for heavy rolls. I then had the local crane hoist us out of the water for a look at the hull's underside. I started to yell, "All clear!" until I noticed a light haze in the Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper colored liquid (SRM = > 13, < 17) and had her set back down. I put my nose into the hold, expecting the worst, but instead, I got old newspapers, dried hay or grass & caramel. Say, are we transporting livestock? My crew is NOT to be trusted! Arrgh! I weighed anchor and lifted the goblet to my lips for a sip. Arrgh! It seems as though someone snuck some dried fruit aboard. This be my weakness! I love me some cherries, lemons, limes & plums. This be mighty tasty! Arrgh! Some fella named Jefferson paid me to lay in a barrel of his whiskey to slosh on our journey. I be tempted to hit that next. Oooh, the sea spray be opening me sinuses so that now, I also get melon! Where they be hidin' all of that fruit?!? I not be seein' it. Finish was semi-dry, not really dry, per se, but definitely yeasty/musty with a lot of fruity flavors. I may need to hit the rack or lay in me hammock after this little adventure!

4.29/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a chalice from a 355ml bottle. Served just slightly chilled. I'm not sure of the age but I do know it came from a Christmas variety pack, which means it's been sitting in my cupboard for either six or eighteen months.

Deep amber colour. Big foamy three-inch head. Lots of lacing.

Smells of sweet brown bread and dried fruit -- particularly apricot.

Quite bitter for a Belgian ale with beautifully complex, shifting notes of ripe peach, apricot, and candied citrus peel. The amber colour made me worry it might be too sweet, but that's not a problem (at least with this aged bottle).

Prickly carbonation. Lots of warm booziness too.

This is a top-notch Belgian strong pale ale with a unique character. It's got much more bitterness and complex fruity esters you get in the standards like Duvel or La Chouffe.

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a hazy beige with a large head. The aroma is fairly muted, presenting date, banana, pecan, and grape juice. The flavor is heavily tilted towards date, as well as banana bred, and that British soda vimto. Overall I find it quite sweet. The mouthfeel is very rich, with lots of velvety small bubble carbonation. Overall I was a bit disappointed here - not that this is not a good beer, but I find it a bit one dimensional, and too sweet, even for the style.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

APPEARANCE - Pours coppery red, with a huge, five-finger beige head that lasts a long time. It leaves a floaty yeast lump up till the last sip.

SMELL/AROMA - Herbaceous, sweet, a little piney.

TASTE - Sweet, herbaceous, piney. Definitely not bitter as advertised. ABV only a bit hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE - Lots of carbonation, light, not syrupy.

OVERALL - A bit boozy, but a nice beer, sippable, not quaffable. Advertised as bitter, but it's not at all bitter IMHO.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a copper color with a mountainous cream colored head that very slowly dissipates to over a quarter inch thick with some spots much thicker that remain and leaves behind thick lacing.

Smell is of sweet honey and malt, floral hoppiness, and the Belgian yeast always brings a fruitiness to the table. A lot going on here.

Taste impressively complex. Big floral hop presence combined with honey sweetness right off the bat. Lots of hops here, but the bitterness is not overly intense. In the middle comes a mixture of lighter fruits like pears and dark fruits like plums. In the finish, the 10.5% alcohol makes it's presence felt and there is a grassy finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Overall, a great Belgian strong pale ale. I've had this bottle a while, and poured darker than usual, but the flavor profile seemed to be about the same.

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wow... this sucker is strong. Overwhelming taste of bourbon.

If Jesus were to drink real beer he would drink this. Otherwise he'd keep drinks by coronas. This beer is one of the greatest.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

330ml bottle into a goblet.

Pours a clear dark copper with just the smallest bit of sediment from the bottle sneaking into the glass. Huge solid two finger white billowy head that hangs on the entire time the beer is in the glass.

Aroma is quite spicy with hints of coriander and peach along with a whiff of alcohol. Not incredibly deep but it is true to style.

The flavor continues with the spiciness with coriander but the peach is a bit more subtle. A touch of dark fruit and caramel underneath along with a touch of caramel. The alcohol definitely makes its presence known but it never becomes overwhelming. Very dry mouthfeel with just a light touch of sweetness in the end.

Overall, this is a very good beer. It is not top of the line but it isn't very far off. Love that it packs a decent punch and is not overly sweet.

3.34/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I felt like I could taste every bit of the 10.5% alcohol. Maybe a little too extreme for me. I have had strong beers that I liked more, but in general, I prefer to stay under 8%. I guess there just aren't enough good flavors to mask the high ABV.

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

I had heard many things about this beer mainly good so had to try it on tap last night.Pours a gold/orange color with a big fluffy head,the aroma has big hop presence very herbal and grassy.Taste is very citriusy and tart with some late hop coming thru,very grassy and herbal aftertaste.A pretty nice beer but not a top notch Belgian in my opinion.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A lovely amber pour with a lively white head. The nose is big on candycane sweetness and malt. Very ripe and sweet fruitiness in the nose highlighted by apricot and mango. The taste is simply sweet and fruity throughout almost hiding the hopiness. The sweetness is heavy on brown sugar, honey and lolipop candy. I can't help but be reminded of Halloween. The fruits seemed toned down...or, overpowered by the bold sweetness. The finish lingers nicely and what else...sweetly. The mouthfeel was good with a decent balance between lively carbonation and a smooth, creaminess.

Somewhat too sweet for my liking but still a after dinner/sipping beer.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance – Cloudy orange in color with a decent head.

Smell – Strong orange in the nose with classic Belgian yeast. There’s also a bit of spicing in there. I can pick up coriander and white pepper for sure.

Taste – The spices say BSPA. They step up big time in the taste. The yeast is present as well, but the huge story here is the gigantic, damn near overpowering, orange liquor and syrup flavor. This is like drinking Grand Marnier mixed with peppered vodka.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied with little to no carbonation and a respectable alcohol sting.

Drinkability – This one was creamy smooth and went down nicely.

Comments – Probably too strong and alcoholic for most. Don’t make this your first of the night, and don’t make it your last.

2.91/5  rDev -28%

Light yellow amber with a thin off white head. Carbonation is light. Smells of cereal, light caramel, a hint of citrus and booze. Taste/MF are slightly acidic, well hopped, very dry, and strongly alcoholic. Mild corn flavors are also present. I find the citric acid to be a bit much in this beer because it isn’t balanced by any strongly pleasant citrus flavors. Finishes sweet and thick. Body is full. Drinkability is low.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Piraat Ale 10.5% 750ml bottle corked and caged.
Truthfully I didn't have a clue what kind of beer this was till I checked the site. Says Belgian Ipa but well...

A- Pours a beautiful golden orange fluid with massive two inch fluffy head that hangs around for the duration of the brew. Leaves a massive quarter inch thick head on the glass.

S- This smells like a triple... heavy Belgian yeast spice is first in the nose. Second is a light but appearent pear and citrus bite followed by strong alcohol fumes.

T-M- Has a very strong bite of warming alcohol that only leads on to the fresh bitter grass and candied citrus fruit. Last is a lingering alcohol and malt stickyness. Mouthfeel is smooth with the fact that the alcohol is so high in content. Slick and warming effect fall down the tongue letting it know a hell of a beer just went down.

D- Its drinkable but watch out or your ass will hit the floor. Excellent Belgian Ipa, Triple and Strong Pale Ale... in one.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #26:

Certainly a beer, in modern times, that was ahead of its time stylistically speaking and was created more on tradition rather than trend.

Carefully decanted, it shows off a glowing bright golden color and a thick, sticky white mass for the head. Yeasty, hoppy aromas of ripe fruit, chalky yeast, faint mint, wildflowers, orange peel and cooked breakfast cereal. Smooth and creamy with a bitty medium body. The bitterness is there, but lands with a modest stance; perhaps a decade or longer ago this would have been considered bitter, but tame comes to mind, which is fine as it follows the path of the English IPA. Love the dry malt foundation as the mild tropical fruitiness plays off of it. A little biscuity middle to end and, without a doubt, finishes dry with a late entrance of warming alcohol.

Only a sipper after the first few swigs, the alcohol creeps up and lets you know it is 10.5 percent. Complexities don't follow the same path and some flavors are pulled to their ends. All in all, still a very tasty treat.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Golden yellow, huge white head, tons of carbonation, very clear.

S - Cloves, phenolic, spicy hops, Belgian yeast.

T - Much like the aroma with plenty of clove, pepper/spice, with that Belgian yeast tang. This is backed up with a nice hop bitterness very different than most Belgian ales. The alcohol really stands out at the end.

M - Highly attenuated, lots of warmth of the carbonation and alcohol. Wish it actually had a little more body to stand up to the hops.

D - Enjoyable but I think some more malt flavors and/or body would help. The hops are not harsh, but almost stand out too much and don't seem quite balanced with the rest of the beer. Still very good.

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.