Piraat | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

1.5/5  rDev -62.9%

1.52/5  rDev -62.4%

Photo of
1.8/5  rDev -55.4%

Poured a dark gold/copper color with quite a bit of haze. Head settled quickly. Smell was at first malt, then rubbing alcohol. Taste was about the same, some sweetness on the front, followed by a blast of alcohol. As I struggled through the glass, I seemed to also get a grassy aftertaste. My final thought was that the beer left me feeling like I had gargled with alcohol. It seemed to improve a little bit as it warmed (taste mellowed), but it's also possible that my tastebuds were just pummeled into senselessness. Mouthfeel was OK (I think). Drinkability - well I didn't pour it out, but I am not happy that I have a second one. Are you beginning to get the idea I didn't like this beer? Looking at the other reviews, I may have gotten a skunked beer. Since I have a second, I will, as a service to beerkind, try it again.

1.91/5  rDev -52.7%

Golden color, almost amber. White foam, compact, not bad.
The smell: not bad in itself, with flowers and fresh fruitiness, but the problem is the alcohol, a lot. Absolutely too strong. Honey, perhaps? Anyway, unbalanced.
In the taste too, again fruity (pear), the alcohol is too strong. Absolutely unbalanced. 10.5 ABV. All perceptible.
Scarce drinkability, too much alcohol.

2.22/5  rDev -45%

Awful. Pours clear gold with a fizzy white head. Orange peel, spice, and malt in the aroma. Taste was a metallic straw flavor with some malt and spice. A dirt-like finish. Judging by the other ratings, I may have got a bad one. But the one I got does not make me want to find out for sure.

2.23/5  rDev -44.8%

A deep orange gold in colour, quite clear, with just a thin off white head. Seems a bit lifeless to the eye.

Funky aroma that comes of as a mix of liquor, butter and flowers to my nose. Really isn't making me excited to drink.

There is a sugary, honey sweetness to the front of the tongue followed by a dry flowery, liquor touched finish. I'd like to be more descriptive here, but it just isn't to my liking.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky and it doesn't seem to have the carbonation I expect from a belgian brew.

Perhaps this was an off bottle? This really disappointed, I had a tough time finishing.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

2.29/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Too much alcohol flavour. Worse than GD or San Agus.

2.33/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass with a patch on me eye and a dead parrot on me shoulder. Poured a slightly hazy gold with a ridiculous 4 inch thick head that me dead parrot was actually able to sit on. After 20 minutes of starin at that head with me one good eye I decided she wasnt goin nowhere so I better get to drinkin. The taste was dry and way too sweet almost like drinking a wine. Warm alcohol finish with a sticky sweet mouthcoat. Way too sweet for a beer. I'd rather walk the plank than drink this swill again. Shiver me timbers this shit sucked.

2.37/5  rDev -41.3%

After seeing this brew for years I thought I would give it a try. I am not sure if it was the bottle that I had or what but I think that this was a very tough drink, just did not set right with me for some reason. It was poured to a somewhat hazy colored yellow with a smallish white hard that broke down quite quickly bur did leave a trace of lacing at the top of the glass. The aroma’s seemed to be complex, which really intrigued me, had fruit like lemon, spices, and a sweet property. So with the aroma, I was really thinking that this was going to be one of my great beers but the taste seemed to hold something that was very tough to take in. Upfront the taste was good with a sweet property and some spices piping through but then at the tail end I got this rough taste that I would imagine would be a mix hop and alcohol that was tough to finish. From the way it looks I am in the minority here but I felt that this brew was extremely tough to drink, and overall not very good. Again, it I am in the minority here so take this review with a grain of salt. Will I try it again, yeah will do that because this review is based on a single experience. Will update the review if I have a different perspective.

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.