Piraat | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Belgian Strong Pale Ale, re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001

Ratings: 2,462 |  Reviews: 1,048
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

I first had this 02/13/2011 at the Waterzooi here in LI, finally reviewing while presently drinking one of the best from a snifter.

Appeareance: Pours a lightlt bubbly amber with deep white 1/2 inch head. Settles very quickly after the first taste.

Smell: Hints of fruit maybe, grapes....like fine wine,

Taste: Strong in the alcohol department but like no other gives you a little bit of everything including some berry maybe a small hint of banana.

Mouth: Carbonation was somewhere medium to full...but if you drink any scotch or whiskey this should be cake. I say this because once your halfway done this is a potent beer. Goes down extremely smooth bubbles are a compliment and defnitely define this beer.

Overall: I am not biased with any beers I first had this months ago at a restaurant with my g/f and was amazed. Piraat may not be for everybody but then again everybody is not a beer drinker. In NY this goes for roughly 14-18 dollars a 4 pack...WORTH every damn penny if you ask me. You haven't drank beer till you drank Piraat.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

An excellent beer in every aspect. The pour was great. With a nice head and initial aroma it tickled the senses before I even tasted it. The first sip was....what the hell is that, it's not beer....but after you let it settle for a second, and believe me that's all it will take, you want more. It had a nice fruity taste that almost reminded me of a cider. With a hint of citrus and bubbles. After the first few drinks I was hooked. And feeling good about almost everything. I think it may have been the 10.5% but I'll definitely have another.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours amber with a thin foam. Nice lacing. Slight carbonation.

S - Scents of banana and other fruits. Very fresh smell.

T - Sweet initial burst. Fruit cocktail sort of flavors. Belgian yeast gives a tangy secondary taste. Finish has a cordial-like component.

M - Light feel, slghtly bubbly, and smooth.

O - Solid belgian that I'd have again. Perfect with food and tame enough to be enjoyed by even a moderate beer drinker.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

My wife and daughter surprised me with the gift pack of 6 bottles and a glass. After I scolded them for spending that much money I set about trying one.

Appearance - brownish red with a huge fluffy head when poured into the Piraat tulip glass. Almost too nice to drink.

Smell - probably the best part. Banana, pear, even a whiff of the alchohol.

Taste - surreal. Funny it actually has a slight beer taste to it but the fruits come close to overwhelming it but blend in at the last minute. Hops are there but very gentle. So balanced.

Mouthfeel - also great. Some Belgians are a little too fizzy for me but this one was just right.

Overall - can't imagine anything wrong with the beer. The alchohol warmth might be the best thing. I don't generally like boozy beers but this one is all that and a bag of chips. Can't wait for a snowy afternoon to sip one watching the snow fall and drift off for a glorious beer nap. Maybe my favorite Belgian so far.

Thanks for reading.

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.