Piraat | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat
4.07/5
Exceptional
PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Belgian Strong Pale Ale, re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,492 |  Reviews: 1,055

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Finally broke down and paid the $4.50 to try this beer as a single at the Giant Eagle in Shadyside.

A - Pour is minimal head of a lace ring that sticks slightly to the glass and a slightly hazy amber in color beer.

S - Smells of fruits and yeast funk surrounding a bit of banana like alchohol esters.

T - Not really as hoppy as others say so I assume I got an older bottle. flavors are sweet bread and candy like banana with a slight bit of hop bite at then end giving the yeast a sweet finish.

M - Best part of this beer I found no noticeable alchohol taste. Brilliant.

Overall I could see the hype behind this being a slightly hoppy Belgium pale but I felt I would enjoy it more fresh from the source. Pretty good overall.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

A golden amber color, clear with a ginormous white mountain of white that gradually deflates to a thin cover with gobs of chunky lacing. The nose detects intense citrus clove and brandy-like alcohol that ends up bringing a super glue idea that is a bit stronger than I would like. A bit scary! The flavor is a nice flowery hop over intensely sweet grains and muted clove. This is medium-plus bodied with a near syrupy feel and just a tingle of carbonation that keeps this fairly drinkable. This brew is classic and satisfying, and mellows so nicely as you work through the pint.

Light amber/orange colour, 1.5 finger white dense head, decent lace left behind. Smell is yeasty with citrus and spice, sweet candy notes, grassy, light alcohol, good hop profile overall. Taste is spicy followed by mild alcohol, lightly sweet at points, fairly hoppy, yeasty toward the finish with some citrusy sweetness, bubble gum notes come and go, well balanced. Med-carbonation, full body, good weight, alcohol makes this syrupy at points. Pretty drinkable, ABV pretty well hidden, pretty solid stuff.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Best Before 03/05/13.

Beer is amber in colour. A fairly slow pour leaves a small white head. Fades fairly quickly though not immediately. Some lacing.

The hops are immediately noticeable in the nose, imparting a bit of a citrus scent. Other fruit scents are present as well- pear stands out. Belgian yeast and some bready malt is there as well. Strikes me as a fairly typical Belgian IPA scent, which is nice - but not a standout.

Taste follows the nose pretty closely - no surprises here. Bready malt, some spice flavours, pear and some other light fruit flavours, and a hoppy flavour that is a bit soapy. Mildly bitter finish, with a bit of a woodsy flavour. Booze is pretty well hidden for 10.5%, but it is present.

Full-bodied, quite chewy. Moderate to high carbonation, but not overdone.

Overall, a pretty solid Belgian IPA. Can't compare to the best of them, but a nice beer all the same.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 1" off-white soapy head that left a nice lacing over amber liquid.

S: Alcohol esters, pear and apple.

T: To me, it tasted a lot like semi-sweet white wine. Pears and apple up front with a slightly dry finish with some alcohol. I could not detect the presence of hops as all these flavours were much more powerful.

M: Medium viscosity and a very high level of carbonation.

O: A very enjoyable Belgian IPA that doesn't hide the ABV as well as some others do, but to me it works. It actually seemed more like a Belgian strong pale ale.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 33cL brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. Served at 60F. No decipherable freshness date. Purchased at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA) for $3.99.

A; Bright golden-amber hue with 1/2 finger of off-white head with decent retention and spotty lace down the glass.

S: Malty aroma with caramel, toffee, and some dark fruit fig. Hops are earthy and herbal. There is not much of a yeast contribution here.

T: Malty much greater than hoppy in my opinion with plenty of sweet caramel, toffee, nougat, and date/fig flavors. The alcohol is extraordinarily well-disguised. The hoppiness is very earthy with just a pinch of citrus and floral character. The yeast doesn't figure in much at all unfortunately. I would definitely not put this in the Belgian IPA style by aroma or flavor -- more of a BSPA/BSDA hybrid.

M: The body is medium-full with fine carbonation which has a pleasantly scrubbing quality on the palate, allowing you to reload prior to the next sample.

O: I liked this beer but it is not distinctive in any one area. Pleasant, but too expensive for the end result.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer on tap at the Cheeky Monk in Denver from the appropriate glassware. A wonderful dark cherry color that is excellently clarified to provide a stark contrast to the bright white head that provides almost an impermeable cap to the beer. The foamy head actually hinders any aromas at first, but once the beer warms and the head mellows, you are left with a sweet cherry woodiness with almost no alcholic character. The flavor is also very smooth and compliments the nose with a rich cherry flavor with a dark maltiness that is more oaky then chocolatey. An all around excellent experience.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into tulip.

A - Hazy amber brown with a large, creamy white head.

S - Citrus and malt immediately stand out. Has a strong Belgian yeast element. Overall the aroma is earthy and grassy.

T - Sweet citrus fruit hits first, followed by a rich maltiness which is balanced out by bitter hops and peppery spices. A slight hint of alcohol creeps in towards the end and finishes with a biscuit like flavor that tends to linger on the tongue.

M - This full bodied Belgian IPA is well carbonated, has a creamy texture, and a dry finish.

D - Wow, this is a great beer. It has a nice complexity and an extremely pleasant flavor. I found the high alcohol to be well masked, lending nicely to it's drinkability. I'm digging the label too.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

A-Golden amber. Foamy, frothy, white head. Leaves much lacing. Fairly pure liquid.

S-Not overly hoppy, but does have some nice citrusy and fruity notes to it. Alcohol is blatant in the nose (and I expect the same in the flavor). Yeasty. A slight funk. Pale fruits such as apples and pears.

T-Fruity and grassy. Super dry from the alcohol. Boozy but I enjoy the alcoholic prowess here. Yeasty. Lots of pale fruit. I really think this one tastes a lot like biting into a pear. Definitely lively. Lots going on. Powerful and dare I say enjoyable.

M-One of the knocks on this beer. The carbonation is too abrasive. I usually let a beer sit on my tongue so i can soak up all the flavors. The carbonation mutes the flavor and is mildly uncomfortable. Medium to heavy body. Light to moderate bitterness. Quite dry.

O/D-Worth a try. Not my favorite. Definitely a cheek-warmer. At $3.99 a tiny bottle, the price is do-able. Wouldn't buy this again but was happy to try it.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle

Appearance – Clear dark amber colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, raisins, bananas

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste hops, malts, and some raisins. There are also notes of banana and caramel mixed with either lemon or tangerine. I can also taste some yeast and the alcohol a little bit. It ends with a malty slightly tart fruity aftertaste.

Overall – A great beer with a well balanced taste. It makes a great sipper and I'd definitely buy it again.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Foamy off-white head tops an amber colored ale. Perfect clarity, but appealing density.

A - A hop aroma lifts off the beer, but it's subdued. Not the florals of Syrian Goldings or spice of Saaz I had been expecting. I'd like to think the beer, unfortunately, a bit past it's prime, or at least impaired due to bottling. A definite Belgian yeast character, wholesome malt and a little bit of heat round out the aroma. It's nothing to salivate over, but it's an unrefusable invitation to take a sip.

T - Strikingly of mead. The taste of honey and plenty of warm heat engulfing it. The yeast is all sorts of Belgian kinky, ending with buttery esters. Lots of hop oils, but they're more the backbone flavor. As it drinks and the beer warms the heat takes over and the otherwise wild flavors become played out.

M - Such a strong beer, it never becomes the liquid cement so many other strong beers do. In typical Belgian fashion it remains manageble and finishes dry. It lacks the effervescence of Duvel.

O - I don't wanna hate on this beer. I enjoy it, and I believed it'd be even more enjoyable on draught. Regardless, whether or not I'm indulging in a prime example, this beer has a few qualities that just aren't for me. The heat is too pronounced, the hop varietals not right for a BIG IPA flavor, and the Belgian yeast becomes too much of a challenge to overcome.

It fits a niche, and deserves respect for it's avant garde approach, but it's not an exemplary ale by today's standards.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

I paid $13 U.S. (Oct. 2011) for this. I got it based on it's rating on this website. This was a weird beer. At first I told myself that I would like this beer no matter what because "I am a beer connoisseur and I can appreciate anything truly unique and interesting"....I was wrong.

This beer was uncomfortable. It was way too carbonated, which was the strangest part of it. It fizzled in my mouth and this made it hard to swallow. If I tried to just get it down it made me gassy before the next sip and I just couldn't bring myself to keep going. As for the taste, I found it obnoxious. It wasn't an IPA and it wasn't a double anything. The malts were just weird and the hops took a vacation to visit better breweries.

To give a point of reference...Chimay Blue/Grand Reserve. If Chimay was a perfect 5 (which is close to the truth) this beer would define the bottom end of the style...1/5. But since this beer exists in a world with Bud Light, it obviously deserves more than a ZERO score.

The truth/bottom line....I didn't finish my bomber...I tried, but it went down the sink.

on tap @ the bulldog

A-poured a slight hazed golden color with a 1 finger white head

S- was citrus hops yeast,fruit and spice

T was spicy hops with some slight banana and clove a touch of apple and spice

M- nice carbonation with an alcohol presence it was tart sweet and crisp with a nice hop kick offset slightly by some fruit

O- this is a great BIPA very tasty easy to drink but youy will feel this one later

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
Beer rating: 4.07 out of 5 with 2,492 ratings