Piraat | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

PiraatPiraat

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Belgian Strong Pale Ale, re-fermented with Bordeaux wine yeast

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-07-2001

Ratings: 2,466 |  Reviews: 1,048

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.46/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours light orange gold with thick white creamy head. Smells of pears, honey, light alcohol, and some citrus fruit. Taste is divine, very fruity pears, citrus, sweet sugars, with light belgian spice. Sweet and hides the booze well. Medium mouthfeel, a bit slick, but goes down easy. Not sure how to characterize this one, but it is fantastic. I would love to drink this all the time.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

I tried this at Croxley's on Long Island, NY in the Farmingdale area, neighborhood...I don't know what they call suburbs on LI. Anyhow, I was more than a few glasses deep before the bartender admired my outstanding tab amount and the gratuity he stood to make and offered to buy me a glass of the Piraat. I wasn't driving so I took him up on the offer.

I take a sip. Wow! Now keep in mind I had been drinking a lot of stouts and porters but this pour woke up my senses immediately. It was golden, murkey, marginally heady and after my first sip, I instantly went back in for another....and another...and another.

I then pull it up on BA to see what the concesus on it was, where it came from, ABV, etc., etc. I slurred over my few attempts to pronounce Brouwerij Van Steenberge which prompted the meathead at the end of the bar to ask if I was some sort of a retard. It sounded really funny at the moment in his thick Long Island accent, but the guy looked like he could rip off my arm and beat me with the wet end so I quickly did my best to clear the air and explain my inability to speak words without sounding all mongo-ish.

Back to the beer. Excellent flavor of citrus and light wheat. It almost reminded me of Danny-Mac, which I sampled at Furkin Fest in St. Paul, MN earlier that spring. I wouldn't have been offended if this beer was served at breakfast in lieu of OJ, alongside pancakes, eggs and a few strips of bacon. Danny-Mac or Piraat for that matter. There was no BOOZY-ness to the beer which I appreciated considering its ABV.

I enjoyed it so much in fact that before I left for the evening I grabbed a growler and shared it with my colleagues the following evening at a dinner event. All but one person found the beer to be exceptional. The nay-sayer is admittedly only fond of Coors Light and Michelob Golden Draft Light so I wasnt' surprised in the least that he would poo-poo this dilectable beverage. To each their own though. I personally don't enjoy lima beans....there...I said it.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Deep amber-nut with lots of bubbles and a full, rocky, cratered cap of off white foam that sheets.
Lemon rind, white pepper, and sugar cookie on the nose with some leafy herb and coriander seed.
Spice cookie and baguette crust up front, some bruised apple esters, a smooth clovey phenol presence, then warm cumin and cardamom hop end.
Star anise and carambola finish and humming, clean, clove oil linger.
Medium, soft + silky, chewy, no heat.

Been looking forward to this one for a while; one of the few Belgian IPAs from Belgium that I haven't tried. And it looks great, and feels great, yet... the hops are there enough to balance the malt, which must be considerable given the ABV, but they're neither bright grassy noble hops nor citrus American hops (like Houblon Chouffe). What you end up with is simply a balanced, flavorful - but by no means superior - overstrength BSPA. This only worsens as it warms - a slight oily herb leaf note can't fight off piles of candy sugar.

Left wanting, somehow.

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle 5 of 6 from the Belgian Taster's Pack at LCBO. Served cold and poured into oversized wine glass. Awesome label and bottle cap i should note.

Appearance - Semi transparent golden copper color with 2 big fingers rocky white head. the head lingers for a while and leaves some streaky lacing alongside the glass. Visually impressive.

Smell - Funky Belgian yeasts, gentle but potent hops and floral nose as well. Well crafted due to the interplay between these notes but not the most complex aroma, Booze is extremely well hidden in the nose.

Taste - Sweet & savory at first, then hops and spicy presence take over. Finishes slightly bitter. Only indication of booze again is due to a combination it makes with the spiciness inherent in the beer. Not quite as refreshing as I hoped. As the beer warms the lack of booze flavor diminishes and the alcohol stands out a lot more.

Mouthfeel - Rich with well hidden alcohol and a dry finish. A good blending of the IPA and various Belgian Styles Ales to create something that makes my mouth sing.

Overall - While I really enjoyed my beer (third best of the six pack), I found it a touch overly refined and less extreme than I hoped for. Would never turn one down as this remains one of the best in the style.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Piraat from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.