Augustijn Ale | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Augustijn AleAugustijn Ale

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

2.22/5  rDev -42.6%

11.2 oz bottle.

A: Had to wait about 20 min for the head to die down as well as all the yeast to settle to the bottom of the glass. 3+ fingers of white head.

S: Smells almost like green bottles import funk. Not pleasant at all.

T: Very sours at first which is weird considering the style. Maybe this bottle is past it's prime. Stale bread. This one is not good.

M: Sort of half flat and bleh. Avoid.

D: Maybe I got a bad/old bottle but this is bad. I had to pour most of it out.

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%

11.2 oz into pint glass. $3.49, purchased @ Nikki's in PVD. No freshness info, but I think it just arrived.

A- Pale golden yellow, a bit hazy with a dull orange glow. Huge head, takes a while to settle and pour.

S- Coriander and fruity/floral sweetness. Faint.

T- Taste is muted, mild crisp apple sweetness and a bit like smarties.. medicinal, confectioner's sugar, pill bottle bitterness. Overripe papaya, out of place. Not what I was looking for.

M- Thin, watery, lacking depth or good yeast character. Low carbonation, it all blew out in the pour.

O- I was not impressed. Been getting some good tripels lately, but I won't buy this again. I only drank 1/3 of this and drainpoured the rest.

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.35/5  rDev -39.3%

A - Poured a cloudy golden orange with a short bubbly head that settled quickly

S - Lots of sweet malts and fruits.

T- Over-the-top carbonation and sweetness, with a spicy bite on the tongue. Reminiscent of champagne it's so heavily carbonated. A bit of a spicy hop bite on the finish with a strong alcohol presence, kind of like beer and peach schnapps...a little weird.

M&D - Clean, dry finish, again, very reminiscent of champagne, but sweet like a wine cooler. This beer didn't do it for me. It was just too sweet and bubbly. Glad to try it, but probably wouldn't have it again.

2.48/5  rDev -35.9%

A very underwhelming beer from Van Steenberge.

Golden color, faint nose of some barley. Taste has some alcohol, some spice, a little sour, but all characteristics extremely muted. Mouthfeel is watery and aftertaste is metallic blech. Bland enough to be fairly easy to drink but too boring to make it worth the effort.

I often think it's a shame that their entire line (with one or two exceptions) of cut rate Belgians are so widely distributed in the U.S. when so many other worth beers are hard to find or don't make it over at all.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

Enjoyed on 06.27.09 from a typical stubby, short brown bottle (11.2oz). Poured into a 14.75 oz Chalice (Goblet).

A: Pours a soft honey, w/ a big rocky, raucous head that I poured well down the side until the VERY end of the pour - and thank God I did.

S: A complex whif, estery, yeasty, notes of brandy and barnyard funk (aka - yumminess - NOTE my pension for Saisons).

T: WAY to much carbs. Distractingly so. I only fridged this for two weeks from retail purchase, but due to no "born on" dating, I have to blame this on the bottling/brewey and/or distro. Initially the spicy estey notes, along with the "farm," are overpowering and its hard to nail anything else. Time is not helpful.

M: Lots of carbs. Dang it - I wish I had a better experience; I know, according to other reviewers that I respect, that this is a better beer than this - I can tell...

D: I could barely drink this bottle, but I suspect I got an age-old batch. There is a delicious beer behind this somewhere.

To quote myself: "I wish I had a better experience; I know, according to other reviewers that I respect, that this is a better beer than this - I can tell..."

2.53/5  rDev -34.6%

Too sweet and carbonation prickly. Smoke and citrus and cloves did not work for me. Tart aftertaste. Can smell yeast and malt. This brewery does much better, and expected more from a triple - perhaps a bad batch. Colour OK and alcohol masked and hoppy.

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

From notes 4-1-09

Done horizontally with Maredsous Tripel, Westmalle Tripel, and Kasteel Tripel.

Eye: This is by far the darkest and cloudiest of the group. It comes in at an actual cloudy light brown, maybe the color of wet oak. Head is stable at about 7/8 of a finger, the smallest head on the group.

Nose: So far this one is by far the fruitiest. Sweet green apple aroma with some malt aromas behind it and perhaps some candied aroma. All in all pretty straightforward and singleminded but in all the places where I'd rather it not be.

Tongue: That sweet apple is right upfront followed by some caramel flavor...and I'm not a fan of that at all, compared to the others this thing almost fails altogether. On its own it might be okay, but in the company of others it is cloying. I can tell you right now I'm not looking forward to drinking the rest of this one.

Feel and Drinkability: This is the higest carbonated of the group and it fits the beer well considering its carnival candied apple flavor. Body is medium-light and works well with the carbonation. This isn't one that I'll be drinking again. Well, I've a four pack to finish, but I highly doubt I look forward to finishing it. Thankfull the carbonation is as high as it is, and that its prickely and cleansing-scrubbing the palate. Were it not this beer might just be undrinkable.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

LOOK. Clearish gold, the color of apple juice, with a dense, craggy head.

AROMA. A sweet raisiny smell is quickly replaced by whiff of copper.

BODY & TASTE. Full-bodied, out the gate with notes of raw grain, and bitter lemon drop. A firmly medicinally herbal hop character blooms in the middle, and continues in to the finish where it's joined by pale malt, yeast, and slightly leathery undertones.

AFTERMATH. Reminds me of Duvvel. An assertive mix of medicinal bitterness and booziness, without going overboard. Makes one want fondue or sharp cheddar cheese.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

Slightly hazy golden color with a fuzzy white head.

Aromas of candy sugar and light malts with a dash of yeast.

Flavor is the same - kinda thin and sweet-ish with a yeasty bite.

sharp carbonation interferes with my ability to accurately gauge the body (which I thought seemed kind of medium to light) as well as making drinkability suffer.

I dumped.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

This beer poured a golden color with a large bubbly head that died off quickly. The aroma was a little fruity, but yeast/wheat was the aroma that caught my attention the strongest. The flavor is very typical of a wheat beer with the added flavor of orange peels and maybe a little spicyness. I really didn't enjoy the taste of this beer for some reason. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for the style or something, but I thought the drinkability and mouthfeel were psub-par.

2.9/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours gold. Gigantic, huge, white foam explosion. ugh.

Smells like sweet yeast. Tastes like sweet yeast. One of the most straight-forwardly simple belgians I've ever had, let alone from a tripel. I mean, it's just a sweet, well carbonated brew.

Not much to say about it. Would not revisit.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent butterscotch gold. Towering dense pure white head very slow to recede, excellent lacing.

Yeasty white bread aroma. Quietly floral and fruits with a hint of anise. All the notes of the scent are of high octaves.

The powdery yeast taste is so nondescript, little to describe. Slightly dry finish. Mild phenolic aftertaste, not its strength. Medium bodied creamy mouthfeel.

Rather undefined brew, the scent is nice but the flavor lacks definition.
cheers
jd

A - A cloudy bronze color and carbonation bubbles vigorously. It has a two finger head that dissipates after few minutes but never fully dissappears. Splotchy lacing that doesn't last adorns the glass.

S - Cloves, malt, and a bit of apricot. Carbonation stands out as well.

T - A slightly sweet malt with a bit of cloves. It is bitterness that is very strong for the flavor. It really lingers after each sip.

M - The carbonation is overwhelming. It is thin and a bit refreshing, but the sharp carbonation stings the tongue. It starts to film in your mouth as well.

D - Well, it goes down easily, but the high carbonation hurts it all around. I imagine it wouldn't taste too bad with food. It is not terrible - just mediocre.

Augustijn Ale from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.