Old Buccaneer Reserve | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Awaiting More Ratings
Old Buccaneer ReserveOld Buccaneer Reserve

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Tripel

Added by dogfooddog on 05-15-2006

3.04/5  rDev -8.2%

I have opened this beer and a bornem triple at the same time to see if they are demonstrably different beers. This bottle BBD 08/2006 Who knows what 'old' and 'reserve' and 'superior class' refer to aside from motivators to buy this beer.

This beer pours a nice 50% head in a tremens chalice. Initial odor is very hoppy with distinct note of mustard. Given time to sit it develops a rather odd gas odor. Not sure what to make of this.

Taste is rather weak, clearly a triple but somewhat malty and not much distinct hop or floral notes as would be expected.

Interesting that this beer and the filibuster avoid naming van steenberge by name, using the evergem address with no brewery name. Presumably these are export brands. It does taste like less hops than normal for a triple were used, and there is even a corny taste in the malt, though I could be imagining that.

Further reading, along with the fact the brewery name appears NOWHERE on this bottle, leads me to believe it may be a case of van steenberge putting out the same beer in 2 or more names, something they seem to do quite a bit of. I did compare this to bornem triple and they were different shades of yellow, and not identical in taste.

3.8/5  rDev +14.8%

First time ordering from Belgianshop.com, and behold! Two out of the seven beers I ordered were WAY out of date(and the rest were getting close). This was one of them. In fact, Dogfooddog's review below me is probably the same batch. The best before date reads: 19/08/06. I was initially very upset, being the huge Boucanier fan that I am. But guess what! It wasn't half bad. Infact, it was pretty satisfying, and hey, I'm not dead yet.

A- Poured like a fresh golden should. A healthy white head, hazy yellow body, with a good amount of lacing clinging on for the duration of the drinking.

S-The smell became more interesting as the old bucc breathed. First it started pretty tame, with a hint of fruit(apple) and mild spice. But as it sat, my nose detected aromas of whiskey, or brandy(as if it was a barrel-aged), followed by honey.

T-The taste changed a little over time, as well. Started off with a sharp spiciness and a bit of hop bite following. Later the spice settled down to make way for light fruit-sweetness(apple, honey), followed by a even more slight hint of bourbony flavor. However, there wasn't a rush of alcohol at any point, even though I definitely was feeling something toward the end.

MF-pleasant, sizzling carbonation on the tongue. If this bottle was that old, at least it didn't lose it's liveliness.

D-Very easy to drink, though the 9% did kinda sneak up on me. The overall light flavors made me think of a more complex Petrus Triple, if you like that style of belgian. I guess I would recommend picking this bottle up if you come across it, though I wonder if I got lucky with this one. Actually, I DO recommend it, cus it's got lightning AND a parrot on the label.

4.97/5  rDev +50.2%

Old Buccaneer Reserve from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.