Bornem Double | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Bornem DoubleBornem Double

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by John_M on 07-09-2012

Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 67
4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

I ran a google search on this beer, and apparently it is a completely new beer (not to be confused with the Bornem dubbel). The site I found indicated that it is a double Abbey Ale, noting that it can be aged like wine.

On tap at Max's last night.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this is just a thing of beauty, as I get considerable milk chocolate, vanilla and brown sugar, with considerable underlying spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this moderately sweet, tasty beer, except I also pick up some malt balls and milk dud flavor as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long, chocolate and spice filled finish. Alcohol is beautifully integrated into the flavor profile, and there's not even a hint of heat on the finish.

This is absolutely deliciuos.... hope to see it again sometime.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is interesting. I actually rated the Bornem "dubbel" before realizing that this is a newer addition from Van Steenberge. It is Bornem "Double" Abbey Ale. I came across this in a mix-six pack of Van Steenberge Ales, which features Gulden Draak, Bornem, Piraat and their cousins.

Appearance: A dark brown with a non-frothy head. Approx. 1/2 inch of head total after the pour and it is very fine. The bubbles are very small and eventually dissipate to about 1 cm. for the rest of the experience. They are intriguing as you give the glass a swirl and notice that the fine bubbles roll down from the side of the glass back down to the top of the head. A beautiful appearance.

Smell: A detection of a classic Abbey, with slight aromas of coffee and milk chocolate. Brown sugar and sweet chocolate are also detectable by the nose. Very delightful.

Taste: The first impression is coffee, then chocolate, finishing with a thick candy flavor! I can't remember what kind of candy this reminds me of -- malted chocolate would be the closest example I could give! Delicious and mild. At the end of the glass, the small amount of head remains, greedily, I put the glass vertical to my mouth and let it in, the flavors roll back at you as if you were drinking the ale itself!

Mouthfeel: Absolute silk! It is so delectably soft and melts away when swallowed.

Overall: This ale is absolutely underrated (literally) because I don't know if people know it is out there! It is a must try for any Belgian-Dark lover. The abv comes in at 8% and I detected absolutely nothing! It is beautifully wrapped and presented. It is a beer worth trying and savoring. I have reviewed a lot of beers from memory. From now on I will be doing full mark-ups on special ales like this one. I will only do it when my pallet is cleansed and I have not had any alcohol prior! Anyways, get out to the pub or store and find this one!

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

330 ml squat bottle served in a Belgian snifter. ABV 8%.

Body is dark brown and nearly opaque despite being fairly clear. The medium head has good retention and leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma: delicious (if that can be applied to an aroma); an excellent balance with various dark dried fruits and dark fruitcake.

Flavor: quite enjoyable but not as excellent as the aroma, especially before some additional warming. Plenty rich and complex.

Overall: excellent in a way that dubbels made outside Belgian can't seem to get.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was my first dubble, purchased as part of a Van Steenberge sample pack that also introduced me to my great love in the land of beers, Piraat. Forgive me if I am a bit weepy and easily impressed in the presence of this old friend.

Appearance 3.75: Poured out a dark, chestnut brown. Smallish head (1/4") quickly faded into a small amount of foam on top. Nice lacing.

Smell 4.0: Subdued bouquet, but what is there is very nice indeed: toffee, roasted grains and a very slight hint of spicy Belgian yeast.

Taste 4.25: Front is somewhat dry, with some very pleasant sweetness sneaking in around the edges. Middle is full and lush with a big wave of treacly sweet malt along with a cloying, barely noticeable taste of smoky grains. Finish is pleasant and malty along with a slight hint of noble hops and a brief hint of an interesting tanin flavor, like that of a deep red wine. Aftertaste is of medium length and features another taste of the tanins, the hops and the barley malt.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Somewhat watery in the front of the palate, but this definitely matches the style and adds to the overall refreshing characteristics of this brew.

Overall 4.0: Excellent beer. Great example of the style and a wonderfully balanced and refreshing beer given its huge (8%) ABV. A favorite of mine and it was a pleasure to sample it again. Recommended.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm wondering.... Has anyone done a side by side with the other Bornem dubbel with the yellow label and a monk on it ?
I've had both, but only the dark label came in the latest Van Steenberge sampler put together by Global Beer. (I buy their sampler box twice a year.)

At any rate, I pretty much stick to my original rating in this retaste on 6/16/16.
Looks like a dubbed, smells like one with all the fruit wafting up and it certainly tastes like one... with the tradeb=mark dark brewers sugar that I like in the style.
Buy it again. Yes. But I will look for both and do a taste test to settle what appears to me to be a double entry due to different labels.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the bottle, it pours a moderately dark amber with a small head, slowly reducing to a thin layer. A bit of fruit and sugar in the nose. The mouth enjoys the slightly sweet candies sugar flavor. Easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Strong, dark, a bit sweet, malty, fruity, strong smell. Dry, thirst enhancing, at the end sticky. Beer for autumn and winter. I drink it only with steaks, and before desserts. Doesn't get along with any kind of chocolate. Solid, but not perfect. Strong 4.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark, coppery hued body; thick, foamy head. Sweet, fruity, malty nose; plum. Fruity flavor; plum and berry; mild brown sugar flavor; sweet. Medium body with an airy quality; dry and acidic.

Relatively light with a sweet, boozy quality. I can't say whether this is supposed to be a dubbel or a Belgian strong ale, but it is tasty and potent. A good, solid offering from Belgium...

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a bottle of Brouwerij Van Steenberge's Bornem Double that my brother brought over to share. It's been a little well since I've had a Belgian Dark Ale and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a Belgian 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple looking but it has a nice clean look to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a muddy caramel brown color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty goof looking beer that looked pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some caramel and toffee like aromas with a little bit of brown bread showing up in the background and there's a signature Belgian yeast aroma also showing up. Up next comes a fruit aroma with some apple like aromas sticking out the most but there's also some light dark fruit aromas along with some candied sugar like aromas showing up. This beer had a nice aroma, but I thought it smelled pretty damn sweet.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar and candied sugar like taste to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart those same aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toffee flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some of that Belgian yeast followed by that same fruit aspect that I got in the aroma with the apple aspect still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a little more sweetness and there's a very light alcohol flavor with a pretty much no bitterness and it had a fruity apple, caramel, toffee, and brown bread like aftertaste. This was the a decent tasting beer but I thought all the aspects were a little lighter then they were in the aroma except for the sweetness and that hurt this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, I thought the carbonation was just where it needed to be.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of a Belgian Dark Ale, but I think it could also come pretty close to being an average example of a Dubbel, it didn't really have any aspects that were really well done, it pretty close to average all the way around. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, a little filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, since the sweetness seems to be one of the flavors that sticks out the most, one of these would be limit, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought this was a pretty nice looking Belgian Dark Ale. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it seemed very average and I didn't like how the sweetness was showcased. I wouldn't buy this beer and I wouldn't recommend it as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this one, it left me wanting more and I think just about every aspect of this beer could be improved upon. This isn't my favorite beer from this Brewery and it isn't my favorite Belgian Dark Ale. I appreciate the effort, but this one just didn't do it for me, better luck next time guys.

3.34/5  rDev -13%

Pours with a fluffy dirty white head that breaks apart slowly. Scattered lace is left just above the darnk brown brew. A few crimson hues poke through. Smells of caramel, plum, black grapes, toffee and fait vinegar. Thin on the palate with subdued dark fruits and grain. Not much in the way of body to speak of and overall flavorless. Quite promising up into the important stuff.

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: head is thick but light, a faint dirty grey ("winter white"), lacing seems to become more lasting as the beer settles down (and by that time it's considerable).

S: fructose sweetness, berries, floral scotch.

T: not much happening here; medicinal sweets, raisins, sour aftertaste.

M: syrupy yet distinctly watery.

O: not bad, didn't like it as much as the triple Bornem puts out but from my experience with Belgium beers I suspect that has to do more with the style than anything else.

Bornem Double from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.