Bornem Double | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Bornem DoubleBornem Double
3.81/5
Bornem DoubleBornem Double

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by John_M on 07-09-2012

Just the right amount of hops and pear flavor.

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.42/5  rDev +16%

I ran a google search on this beer, and apparently it is a completely new beer (not to be confused with the Bornem dubbel). The site I found indicated that it is a double Abbey Ale, noting that it can be aged like wine.

On tap at Max's last night.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this is just a thing of beauty, as I get considerable milk chocolate, vanilla and brown sugar, with considerable underlying spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this moderately sweet, tasty beer, except I also pick up some malt balls and milk dud flavor as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long, chocolate and spice filled finish. Alcohol is beautifully integrated into the flavor profile, and there's not even a hint of heat on the finish.

This is absolutely deliciuos.... hope to see it again sometime.

4.42/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is interesting. I actually rated the Bornem "dubbel" before realizing that this is a newer addition from Van Steenberge. It is Bornem "Double" Abbey Ale. I came across this in a mix-six pack of Van Steenberge Ales, which features Gulden Draak, Bornem, Piraat and their cousins.

Appearance: A dark brown with a non-frothy head. Approx. 1/2 inch of head total after the pour and it is very fine. The bubbles are very small and eventually dissipate to about 1 cm. for the rest of the experience. They are intriguing as you give the glass a swirl and notice that the fine bubbles roll down from the side of the glass back down to the top of the head. A beautiful appearance.

Smell: A detection of a classic Abbey, with slight aromas of coffee and milk chocolate. Brown sugar and sweet chocolate are also detectable by the nose. Very delightful.

Taste: The first impression is coffee, then chocolate, finishing with a thick candy flavor! I can't remember what kind of candy this reminds me of -- malted chocolate would be the closest example I could give! Delicious and mild. At the end of the glass, the small amount of head remains, greedily, I put the glass vertical to my mouth and let it in, the flavors roll back at you as if you were drinking the ale itself!

Mouthfeel: Absolute silk! It is so delectably soft and melts away when swallowed.

Overall: This ale is absolutely underrated (literally) because I don't know if people know it is out there! It is a must try for any Belgian-Dark lover. The abv comes in at 8% and I detected absolutely nothing! It is beautifully wrapped and presented. It is a beer worth trying and savoring. I have reviewed a lot of beers from memory. From now on I will be doing full mark-ups on special ales like this one. I will only do it when my pallet is cleansed and I have not had any alcohol prior! Anyways, get out to the pub or store and find this one!

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer. I got a Van Steenberge sample six pack for Christmas from some friends, I've had a few belgian style ales but this was a very nice surprise indeed, I kept thinking I would drink the shit out of this if I had access to it. Very Nice style of beer and nice change from the IPA's and Stouts I drink all the time.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A Belgian abbaye beer worth a try. If you're tired of the similar brew from the same style.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm wondering.... Has anyone done a side by side with the other Bornem dubbel with the yellow label and a monk on it ?
I've had both, but only the dark label came in the latest Van Steenberge sampler put together by Global Beer. (I buy their sampler box often.)

I stick to my original rating in the retaste on 6/16/16.
Looks like a dubbel, smells like one with all the fruit wafting up and it certainly tastes like one... with the trade-mark dark brewers sugar that I like in this style.
Buy it again? Yes. But I will look for both and do a taste test to settle what appears to me to be a double entry due to different labels.

12/6/16 retaste. I increased the Taste by .25. They handle the sugars correctly here, but lacks the complexity for a 4.5 score.... And I'm still looking for that yellow label.

5/29/17 retaste. Again, I go for the Global Beer sampler. No change in rating. This is just a nice complete dark that does not much outstanding, but everything good enough for me to keep going back. And still, a very good ale for food.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

330 ml squat bottle served in a Belgian snifter. ABV 8%.

Body is dark brown and nearly opaque despite being fairly clear. The medium head has good retention and leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma: delicious (if that can be applied to an aroma); an excellent balance with various dark dried fruits and dark fruitcake.

Flavor: quite enjoyable but not as excellent as the aroma, especially before some additional warming. Plenty rich and complex.

Overall: excellent in a way that dubbels made outside Belgian can't seem to get.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

Decanted from an 11.2 oz (330 ml) bottle into a conical pint glass; no production information available.
A: Pours a slightly hazy, dark, copper color with one and a half inch foamy light tan head. Very good retention and lacing.
S: Aromas of apple, caramel, mocha, and Irish whiskey.
T: Sweet up front with caramel, plum, and milk chocolate flavors; maybe a hint of tutti fruity at times. Light bitterness doesn't overwhelm the other flavors.
M: Light to medium bodied and smooth. Solid and persistent carbonation. Almost, but not quite, creamy
O: Has most of the flavor characteristic of a Dubbel. Could see this going with many cuisines or desert and by itself. Would drink/serve/gift.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was my first dubble, purchased as part of a Van Steenberge sample pack that also introduced me to my great love in the land of beers, Piraat. Forgive me if I am a bit weepy and easily impressed in the presence of this old friend.

Appearance 3.75: Poured out a dark, chestnut brown. Smallish head (1/4") quickly faded into a small amount of foam on top. Nice lacing.

Smell 4.0: Subdued bouquet, but what is there is very nice indeed: toffee, roasted grains and a very slight hint of spicy Belgian yeast.

Taste 4.25: Front is somewhat dry, with some very pleasant sweetness sneaking in around the edges. Middle is full and lush with a big wave of treacly sweet malt along with a cloying, barely noticeable taste of smoky grains. Finish is pleasant and malty along with a slight hint of noble hops and a brief hint of an interesting tanin flavor, like that of a deep red wine. Aftertaste is of medium length and features another taste of the tanins, the hops and the barley malt.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Somewhat watery in the front of the palate, but this definitely matches the style and adds to the overall refreshing characteristics of this brew.

Overall 4.0: Excellent beer. Great example of the style and a wonderfully balanced and refreshing beer given its huge (8%) ABV. A favorite of mine and it was a pleasure to sample it again. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +6%

Bornem Double from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.