Bornem Double | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Bornem DoubleBornem Double
3.81/5
Bornem DoubleBornem Double

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by John_M on 07-09-2012

2.23/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: head is thick but light, a faint dirty grey ("winter white"), lacing seems to become more lasting as the beer settles down (and by that time it's considerable).

S: fructose sweetness, berries, floral scotch.

T: not much happening here; medicinal sweets, raisins, sour aftertaste.

M: syrupy yet distinctly watery.

O: not bad, didn't like it as much as the triple Bornem puts out but from my experience with Belgium beers I suspect that has to do more with the style than anything else.

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours with a fluffy dirty white head that breaks apart slowly. Scattered lace is left just above the darnk brown brew. A few crimson hues poke through. Smells of caramel, plum, black grapes, toffee and fait vinegar. Thin on the palate with subdued dark fruits and grain. Not much in the way of body to speak of and overall flavorless. Quite promising up into the important stuff.

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a bottle of Brouwerij Van Steenberge's Bornem Double that my brother brought over to share. It's been a little well since I've had a Belgian Dark Ale and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a Belgian 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple looking but it has a nice clean look to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a muddy caramel brown color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty goof looking beer that looked pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some caramel and toffee like aromas with a little bit of brown bread showing up in the background and there's a signature Belgian yeast aroma also showing up. Up next comes a fruit aroma with some apple like aromas sticking out the most but there's also some light dark fruit aromas along with some candied sugar like aromas showing up. This beer had a nice aroma, but I thought it smelled pretty damn sweet.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar and candied sugar like taste to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart those same aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toffee flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some of that Belgian yeast followed by that same fruit aspect that I got in the aroma with the apple aspect still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a little more sweetness and there's a very light alcohol flavor with a pretty much no bitterness and it had a fruity apple, caramel, toffee, and brown bread like aftertaste. This was the a decent tasting beer but I thought all the aspects were a little lighter then they were in the aroma except for the sweetness and that hurt this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, I thought the carbonation was just where it needed to be.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of a Belgian Dark Ale, but I think it could also come pretty close to being an average example of a Dubbel, it didn't really have any aspects that were really well done, it pretty close to average all the way around. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, a little filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, since the sweetness seems to be one of the flavors that sticks out the most, one of these would be limit, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought this was a pretty nice looking Belgian Dark Ale. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it seemed very average and I didn't like how the sweetness was showcased. I wouldn't buy this beer and I wouldn't recommend it as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this one, it left me wanting more and I think just about every aspect of this beer could be improved upon. This isn't my favorite beer from this Brewery and it isn't my favorite Belgian Dark Ale. I appreciate the effort, but this one just didn't do it for me, better luck next time guys.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bornem Double from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.