Bornem Double | Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Bornem DoubleBornem Double

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.
vansteenberge.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by John_M on 07-09-2012

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

while this lacks the complexity of some of the very best examples of the style, i liked the beer quite a lot. it pours a murky pale brown color but has a tall and creamy beige head thats nice and airy and lasting. aroma here is toasted malts, a spot of cocoa, and a strong raisin and tobacco quality, not smoked tobacco, wet like an unlit but chewed on cigar. there is some brown sugar and honey sweetness in the flavor, kind of neatly floral with the yeast, and with a mild warming wintery spice complexion from the yeast as well, nutmeg or something, very attractive and not at all in your face. the beer seems mellow to me in both flavor and feel, its casual, dressed down, and i kind of like that. its slightly oxidized too, tastes a little old, but that adds to its mellow relaxed nature. the carbonation isnt as bright as a lot of these imported belgian beers, but it doesnt need to be, as the body is a little lighter and its certainly not as sugary in the finish as i am used to in the style. i had never seen this before i had a bottle at berkeley untapped in the highlands, didnt even know it was distributed here at all. good find! i could have several of these in a sitting pretty happily!

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

330 ml squat bottle served in a Belgian snifter. ABV 8%.

Body is dark brown and nearly opaque despite being fairly clear. The medium head has good retention and leaves excellent lacing.

Aroma: delicious (if that can be applied to an aroma); an excellent balance with various dark dried fruits and dark fruitcake.

Flavor: quite enjoyable but not as excellent as the aroma, especially before some additional warming. Plenty rich and complex.

Overall: excellent in a way that dubbels made outside Belgian can't seem to get.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

I ran a google search on this beer, and apparently it is a completely new beer (not to be confused with the Bornem dubbel). The site I found indicated that it is a double Abbey Ale, noting that it can be aged like wine.

On tap at Max's last night.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this is just a thing of beauty, as I get considerable milk chocolate, vanilla and brown sugar, with considerable underlying spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this moderately sweet, tasty beer, except I also pick up some malt balls and milk dud flavor as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long, chocolate and spice filled finish. Alcohol is beautifully integrated into the flavor profile, and there's not even a hint of heat on the finish.

This is absolutely deliciuos.... hope to see it again sometime.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a bottle of Brouwerij Van Steenberge's Bornem Double that my brother brought over to share. It's been a little well since I've had a Belgian Dark Ale and I'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a Belgian 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple looking but it has a nice clean look to it, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a muddy caramel brown color that took on more of a mahogany color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty goof looking beer that looked pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some caramel and toffee like aromas with a little bit of brown bread showing up in the background and there's a signature Belgian yeast aroma also showing up. Up next comes a fruit aroma with some apple like aromas sticking out the most but there's also some light dark fruit aromas along with some candied sugar like aromas showing up. This beer had a nice aroma, but I thought it smelled pretty damn sweet.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar and candied sugar like taste to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart those same aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel and toffee flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some of that Belgian yeast followed by that same fruit aspect that I got in the aroma with the apple aspect still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a little more sweetness and there's a very light alcohol flavor with a pretty much no bitterness and it had a fruity apple, caramel, toffee, and brown bread like aftertaste. This was the a decent tasting beer but I thought all the aspects were a little lighter then they were in the aroma except for the sweetness and that hurt this beer.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, I thought the carbonation was just where it needed to be.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of a Belgian Dark Ale, but I think it could also come pretty close to being an average example of a Dubbel, it didn't really have any aspects that were really well done, it pretty close to average all the way around. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly cloying, a little rich, slightly creamy, not that crisp, a little filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, since the sweetness seems to be one of the flavors that sticks out the most, one of these would be limit, I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought this was a pretty nice looking Belgian Dark Ale. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it seemed very average and I didn't like how the sweetness was showcased. I wouldn't buy this beer and I wouldn't recommend it as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this one, it left me wanting more and I think just about every aspect of this beer could be improved upon. This isn't my favorite beer from this Brewery and it isn't my favorite Belgian Dark Ale. I appreciate the effort, but this one just didn't do it for me, better luck next time guys.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark, coppery hued body; thick, foamy head. Sweet, fruity, malty nose; plum. Fruity flavor; plum and berry; mild brown sugar flavor; sweet. Medium body with an airy quality; dry and acidic.

Relatively light with a sweet, boozy quality. I can't say whether this is supposed to be a dubbel or a Belgian strong ale, but it is tasty and potent. A good, solid offering from Belgium...

3.25/5  rDev -16%

4.14/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm wondering.... Has anyone done a side by side with the other Bornem dubbel with the yellow label and a monk on it ?
I've had both, but only the dark label came in the latest Van Steenberge sampler put together by Global Beer. (I buy their sampler box often.)

I stick to my original rating in the retaste on 6/16/16.
Looks like a dubbel, smells like one with all the fruit wafting up and it certainly tastes like one... with the trade-mark dark brewers sugar that I like in this style.
Buy it again? Yes. But I will look for both and do a taste test to settle what appears to me to be a double entry due to different labels.

12/6/16 retaste. I increased the Taste by .25. They handle the sugars correctly here, but lacks the complexity for a 4.5 score.... And I'm still looking for that yellow label.

5/29/17 retaste. Again, I go for the Global Beer sampler. No change in rating. This is just a nice complete dark that does not much outstanding, but everything good enough for me to keep going back. And still, a very good ale for food.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Bornem Double from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.