Short And Stout

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Short And StoutShort And Stout
Notes: Stout blended with Organic Chai Spices, Coconut and Pineapple.
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 24
Reviews by woodychandler:
3.34/5  rDev +25.1%

In the wake of NBS (Week 746), it is beCANming an All-Stout morning as I CANtinue to play catch-up & further The CANQuest (tm) in so doing.

From the CAN: "Stout brewed with cocoa nibs and blended with masala chai tea, pineapple juice, coconut water & agave nectar"; "Beer & Tea [-] The Perfect Double-Brew"; "*Drink Wise*"; "Why the Owl? We say DRINK WISE and we brew with only whole, real ingredients. When do we add artificial or natural flavors? Ummm ... NEVER! So bottom's up … you're holding the good stuff."; "Do us a solid and fill in the blank: I drink @theowlbrew when I ___________." My blank would read: "... think of my late Pops, an avid bicyclist who also had an affinity for owls."; "What the Hoot is a Radler? When we first batched up our refreshing double-brew we were amazed by its robust & eminently quaffable flavor. We imagined people imbibing our summer breeze of a beverage. We thought of outdoor concerts ... days on boats ... and those wintry hours when all you want to do is sip some sunshine. Then we remembered the Radler, a beer style invented in 1922 for cyclists: a bold flavor but easy enough that following a tipple, the bikers didn't topple. Our premium blend is an homage to inventor Franz Kugler's flavorful and sessionable vision. So, there you go - a tot of tea, a ration of beer and a dash of history. Keep On Riding ..."

I was anxious to finally Crack! open the vent on this one since I had reviewed most of their other offerings previously. Nothing untoward occurred, so I CANtinued with a steady, gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. It quickly created a fizzy, foamy, soapy finger of light-tan head that just as quickly dissipated away to wisps. 8=( Color was a murky, cloudy Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27). 8=( It looked like turbid Conestoga River water following a heavy rain. Nose was VERY spicy & quite tea-like! 8=) I was a tea drinker before I was a coffee slurper & I CAN always sense the presence of tea. I had many instances, overseas, in the provinces of the former British Empire, where tea was on offer. My shipmates were coffee snobs, but I would lap up tea alongside of the locals with no CANpunction. This also had a fruity citrusiness, but I could not identify it from the nose. The mouthfeel was kind of thin, flat & watery. The taste was rather riotous as now, I could definitely identify pineapple & coconut as well as the aforementioned tea! Stylistically, it was a mess. 8=( Personally, it was CANtastic! I CAN see turning a LOT of people onto this one, thanks to its reliance on tea. I did not get much in the way of cocoa, nor did it really resemble a Stout, but it surely had a tropical fruity tea flavor. 8=O Finish was semi-dry & frankly, I was surprised that it was not drier, given its inclusion of tea & spices. This is certainly one that will only garner binary scores - you will either really love it OR really hate it, with no room for Mr. In-Between, YMMV.

2.15/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

3.99/5  rDev +49.4%

Owl's Brew "Short And Stout"
12 fl. oz. can, production coded but without freshness dating (contract brewed at Stevens Point Brewery, WI)
$2.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Look: A rough pour brought up a massive three finger-thick head of dark tan that had to settle a bit before I could finish pouring. Following that, however, it dropped fairly readily which is unlike their other brews; and neither did it have the same good quality lacing... a little disappointing. Murky brown body.

Smell: Cinnamon from the masala chai tea hits me first, but I also get some clove, green cardamom, and the actual black tea itself, as well as a light note of cocoa.

Taste: Cinnamon and brown sugar, mild green cardamom, and then cocoa followed by coconut at the swallow. Knowing that there's pinapple juice in it I can also pick that out, but if it was tasted blind I highly doubt I'd notice it specifically. It's sweet, and cocoa, coconut, and black raisin linger in the less than semi-dry finish - yet it's not cloying, the sweet sugar that lingers erodes from the palate fairly quickly. Of note, however, is that if I lick my lips there's still plenty of sugar left there!

Feel: Medium-full in body with a firm sugariness. Its moderate carbonation is gently zesty on the tongue before warming to become velvety smooth.

Overall: This is my third "radler" from Owl's Brew (and it is Owl's Brew, not Owl's Brew Radler BTW as listed on BA), and I'm not sure how to rate it. It's certainly not a stout, we know that, nor are any of their beers really beers as there's just so much sugar and other stuff going on. I'll have to just go hedonistically and fill in the numbers for each of the categories and see where the chips fall. For this one, however, the head retention and lacing were not nearly as good as the others, so it suffers there, but it's also really quite different as the others were more juice based. Out of the three I think this is actually my favorite but because of the head retention it will probably score the lowest. Wow, I've had two of these now and I'm getting a sugar rush! I really wonder how many calories are in these. No more for me, two is my limit!

1.76/5  rDev -34.1%

On the can: Stout brewed with cocoa nibs and blended with masala chai tea, pineapple juice, coconut water & grave nectar.

Color wise, this is definitely NOT a stout. It's brown in color where light shines through the center. Appears to be clear. Excellent head which recedes in a lumpy fashion. The finishing pour brings out a lot of yeast clumps. Lace similar to netting.

Strong sweet cinnamon sugar. There's also a smell that, without reading the can, I wouldn't be able to identify. But I recognize the coconut and pineapple. Overall, the smell is not very appealing, just odd.

This is sickly sweet. I get no stout elements whatsoever. The beer is advertised as tea/beer blend. If this were served to me as a carbonated tea, I'd accept it, although I still don't think it is very drinkable. Way too sweet.

3.31/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.29/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Weird color for something on the stout category. Like raisin colored. Then again, it's apparently a beer and tea tasker
This explains perhaps, the head which reminds me of a root beer float head. Lacing is sporadically sticky as well.

Nose is massive Chai and perhaps a noble hop quality.

Taste jumps out with a hint of tart, but in reality is sweet as all hell and really, REALLY raisin flavored. Like dead on raisin bagel. Seriously. This is not good. That's all I really have to say about this soon to be drain poured aberration.

2.26/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Canned 11/3/17; drank 5/1/18 @ the Yarchives.

Opaque brown/orange appearance.

A violent pour yielded a big khaki head; frothy lace.

Gingerbread, cream & faint pineapple notes in the nose.

Creamy medium mouthfeel.

Gingerbread & mild pineapple flavors up front; cream notes on the finish.

Not sure I'd call this "stout" in any sense of the word; it's a pleasant diversion though, and a dark beer for a sunny day. I've had my last, however.

1.5/5  rDev -43.8%

It's beer and tea, I wasn't sure what I was expecting, I do like beer and I do like tea but the combination just didn't work for me. Something weird about that tea flavoring that seems to dominate the beer. It also seemed to have a very light body for a traditional stout.

3.49/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.89/5  rDev +8.2%

3.63/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.12/5  rDev -58.1%

This is a pretty terrible "stout". I put stout in quotes because it has all the elements that DO NOT make up a stout.

Stay away, stay far far away.

2.66/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

2.84/5  rDev +6.4%

Yucky muddy swamp brown with some off-white fizz dying to a sparsely spotty film.

Chai dominates the aroma, with a little chocolate that makes it almost like a Thin Mint. I get something like lemon that starts pushing me to thinking of Brisk iced tea.

Taste is overly sweetened--all the additional elements are overboard. The chai is primary, but I also get mint, pineapple, cola, and a little light chocolate. Again, it's reminding me of a can of Brisk, except someone dropped an entire jar of honey in it. As it warms, which seems a weird thing to do with this, I get raisin or cinnamon bread.

Fizzy but soft, moderate body, wet.

2.57/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This stout / chai tea combo that is described as a radler pours a murky dark brown color with a large amount of sediment and a medium foamy off white head that quickly dissipates. The smell is spicy and sweet with chai tea being the most prominent scent with some pineapple tang as well. The smell doesn’t have anything in it resembling a stout. I am a fan of chai tea though, so it’s actually pretty pleasant, though it doesn’t give you any impression that you will be drinking a beer. The flavor isn’t as spicy as the scent suggested though there is still a significant chai tea presence. Pineapple and coconut blend to add in a tropical element. The flavor that really comes out here though is the agave nectar. Agave nectar is an extraordinarily sweet sugar substitute, which seems to be lost on the makers of this beverage as this is extremely sweet and tastes like a whole lot of agave nectar was thrown in. There is a mild bread maltiness that gives this an overall flavor of a sweet fruit bread mixed with chai tea. The initial flavor isn’t all that bad, but as it lingers on the tongue and becomes quite strange and a bit rancid. The body is medium. There is really nothing beer like about this, but more tellingly it doesn’t really succeed as a radler either. Radlers were made to be refereshing and light, neither of which describes this. Not a great idea for a drink in general, but there are also worse things that exist.

3.46/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I enjoyed the first sip of this beer, the spicy chai elements working very well. However, the more I drank, the more the flavor of pineapple juice seemed to dominate until I just couldn't finish it. Cloyingly sweet with little else going for it in flavor, which was especially disappointing given how excited I was to try a Chai stout. And despite billing itself as "double-brewed," it doesn't quite embody either Chai or stout all that well.

Update: They blocked me on Twitter because I didn't like their beer. Nice.

3.58/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.34/5  rDev -12.4%