Oatmeal Stout | Triumph Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by erica on 11-19-2004

Reviews by erica:
3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

I got a pint of this Oatmeal Stout at the New Hope location on a Karaoke-filled Thursday night. Scary! I really thought this was their best beer that they had on at the time, as I was taking tiny sips of my boyfriend's sampler. I'm glad I just dove into the oatmeal stout. It's your typical nitro looking stout- black, super creamy light tan head that lasted through the whole glass. I liked the fact that when the glass was half empty (ooh- pessimist!!) there was a shadow making a creamy 1/4 moon... For some reason I thought to myself that means good luck. We'll see... The aroma was roasty but not extremely so. The taste was good, but a tad bland, I guess from the nitro? There was roastiness, some vanilla lurking about, and there was a bit of alcoholic flavor in there. The finish has a touch of bitterness to it. Mouthfeel was very smooth, a teeny bit on the thin side, if at all, but I wouldn't call it watery. Drinkability is good- if I weren't driving, I would've had several of these throughout the night.

3.11/5  rDev -10.1%

Triumph Oatmeal Stout

On tap in New Hope.

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a huge thick creamy tan head.
Smell- lighty roasted hops. A faint odor of toast.
Taste- smooth and dry. Nice balance of malt and lighty roasted hops.
Mouthfeel- warm and smooth. So easy to drink.

Overall- nothing mind blowing here but a decent oatmeal stout that would easily be a session beer on a cold winter night.

3.02/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The Oatmeal Stout was one of 6 Triumph beers on tap at the Triumph Brew Pub in Princeton NJ.
Poured a dark brown/black with a cocoa brown head that continued to evolve minutes after the pour. Beauty. Foam formed a spiral ring around the glass as the beer slowly disappeared.
Some roasted malt aroma, but nothing prominant,
Taste was bland, with not a lot of malt flavor. Dissapointing.
The mouthfeel was incredibly creamy, and this is an amazingly smooth beer.
Needs more flavor. Not one I would want to try again.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

The beer poured a rich dark brown with a tan head. The aroma was of malt with a bit of fire and hops. The taste was pretty much straightforward it was a pretty even blend of malt and hops. It was not unpleasant, but it had no outstanding qualities. The beer had a decent weight on the heavier side, and bit of dryness to it. This is a beer that shot right down the middle. It gave nothing unpleasant, but it also gave nothing of note. This is a beer I would neither seek out nor avoid.

Served as a very deep reddish-brown colored beer with modeate tannish head.
Smell is notable for roasted malt with coffee and chicory also detected.
Taste matches the smeel with a nice roasted malt character blending with some coffee.
Finishes rich and creamy in the mouth.
A good example of the style. Alcohol very well hidden.

Oatmeal Stout from Triumph Brewing Company