Secret Weapon Oak Aged | Triumph Brewing Company

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by ShadesOfGray on 12-24-2011

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

2.86/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to ShadesOfGray for sending this our way.

A - Golden colored beer with a bit of a white head that left some spots on the sides.

S - Wine, a bit of perfumed soap smell, grapes, flowers and honey.

T - I don't really care for this. The grape sweetness makes the taste seem artificial. There's some oakyness that and fairly subtle barrel. Just kind of weird tasting.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Dry finish. Fine for what it is.

O - Didn't really like this beer. Weird sweetness, kind of an artificial flavor going on. Interesting grape flavors, but I think the JD barrels and honey just gave it that bizarre candy taste. Pass.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Ryan for sending this for our tasting group to share. The previous Triumph release was pretty good, so I was optimistic about this one. Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving white foam settles to a thin ring, leaving behind spotty lace. Hazy golden body.

S - Not at all what I expected - there's a very saccharine sweet tart malt character, vaguely Pez-like. Also, lots of perfume and white grapes. I thought this was wine barrel aged and had totally forgotten it was in Jack Daniels barrels - the cider and wildflower honey makes a lot of sense though.

T - Again, reminds me of grape-flavored sweet tarts. Lots of candy, light acidity, some oak and vanilla, and a bit of musky perfume. I really don't get any Jack Daniels at all here.

M - Medium-light body, lower carbonation, smooth texture, dry oaky finish, and no perceptible alcohol. I was actually pretty surprised when I saw 8.8% on here.

D - This was decent. I didn't like it as much as the Golden Sour, and some of the elements that are supposed to be featured in this beer fail to show up (champagne yeast, Jack Daniels whiskey). The candy-like saccharine quality was a bit fatiguing after a while.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

3.96/5  rDev +14.1%

Similar to regular Secret Weapon, which is a blend of Farmhouse cider, belgian ale, and local wildflower honey. Then, to that base beer... champagne yeast was added and then aged in Jack Daniels barrels.

To be honest, I was worried about what the JD barrels may do to this beer, but no worries. It was very subtle. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my De Dolle Oerbier large chalice/snifter. Pours a golden yellow, with soft white frothy head. About 2 fingers, that dissipates slowly and leaves decent legs on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is pretty much one sided: honey, maybe a little apple. If you press for more aroma, a faint Belgian yeast.

served at about 50 degrees. Flavor, so unique. Haven't had many beers quite like this. Sweet fruits and honey, oak, fantastic carbonation...beer holds together so nicely. A carbonated, zesty mead in my oppinion.

Extremely refreshing and very easy drinker.

Triumph has been making some intriguing new beers lately...looking forward to their next one!

Secret Weapon Oak Aged from Triumph Brewing Company