Oatmeal Stout | Gray's Brewing Company

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:

1.3/5  rDev -63.7%

Boring oatmeal stout. Nothing special.

1.57/5  rDev -56.1%

Poured a cola brown with a light tan head.

This isn't a good omen, but I was actually suprised as this is the first beer I have had from Gray's that actually smells like the style its supposed to be. A nice bit of oatmeal, chocolate, and smoked black malts.

This beer is god awful tasting, super sour and vinergery, hopefully a bad bottle, but I know its a fresh sample so this doesn't bode well for this beer.

Mouthfeel is slick and oily.

Undrinkable, drain pour it!

1.82/5  rDev -49.2%

Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. Head is slight and soapy.

Aroma is dark grain with an underlying sweetness. Hints of chocolate and powdery cocoa.

Taste is initially dark grain and slightly woody. But then the extremely sour flavor takes over and lingers forever. I am amazed at just how bad this stout is. What happened to the stout flavors?

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This may be the worst stout I've ever had.

1.91/5  rDev -46.6%

Watery, weak, and black. This is such a disappointing Oatmeal Stout. I guess that is to be expected from a company that mainly produces soft drinks. I would suggest avoiding this soda-beer and grabbing Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout instead. SS perfected the style, and Gray's is like Guinness in comparison. A boring beer that fails to deliver the expectations of its style.

1.96/5  rDev -45.3%

Tasted good until the Nast metal undercurrent came in.... Like it was made in an old rusty pale.... Nasty! It is tasting like it was made in a old rusty bucket compaired to most oatmeal stouts. Bent padel and Brew house have way better oatmeal souts. Lake Superior Breing Company also makes a better oatmeal Stout.

1.97/5  rDev -45%

Black with reddish highlights, very little head even after dumping into a pint glass. 1/4" head that disappeared immediatly.

Smell is a strikingly strong roastedness. Taste is astringent and a really bitter super roasty that lingers forever.

Feels thin and water - exact opposite of what an Oatmeal Stout s/b to me.

Astringent super strong roasty aftertaste that made it hard to swallow and would not go away. This is the nastiest Oatmeal Stout I've ever encountered.

1.99/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: The pour is a very dark brown, almost black, with a small tan head.

S: Smells...bad. Like prunes and roast. Slight acidity to the nose with some acrid roast and coffee notes. There is some good sweetness of toffee and caramel, however.

T: What a terrible flavor. Watery and vegetal with an astringency to it and a weak coffee flavor in the background. Not any chocolate to speak of, almost no sweetness is present either.

M: Thin and watery on the tongue with a moderate level of carbonation.

O: Watery and awful in flavor, not a good combination.

2.22/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a bottle into a Surly pint glass. Small head, recedes quickly leaving minimal lacing. Slight scent of a stout, but very minor, poor taste, none of the big flavors I would expect. No coffee, no chocolate, just nothing. Thin mouthfeel, very watery. Would not seek out to drink again. Between this and the Porter, I am not impressed with Gray's.

2.41/5  rDev -32.7%

Label promised "Big, Black, Bold". It definitely was BLACK although I've had blacker. Head was deep and tan - as expected. Sniff was a bit funky, which is not entirely off-style (though expected more in Belgian Ale), but it was enough to cause me to re-check the bottling date. The mouthfeel was towards a porter than a stout - one expects creaminess in a black stout - don't they? The first mouthful made me wonder what all the "black" was - because the taste was lighter than a porter. I was expecting a stout "punch". If it had been categorized as a Porter I would have been less surprised. This is my first taste of a Grays Brewing Company beer so I'll have to test out their IPA or hopefully they make a 2xIPA which are my favored styles. I drink and love heavy black stouts and deep oak bourbon porters with a cigar - this beer would be quickly overshadowed by a cigar.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Chocolatey brown-black with a very active carbonation leaving tons of head.

Hints of metallic oat and milk chocolate, some dry cocoa, roast malt, and milk.

Wow. This tastes like blood. Oatmeal and blood.

Feel is irrelevant at this point, but creamy and highly carbonated.

Overall, one of the worst tasting stouts ever. As I sip it more the blood is less intense and I get more roasted malts but there's still a sour metallic element to it that makes me want to pour it down the drain. This beer is over.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

all of their beers i have tried taste like beer style + water; only have tried from the tied house in Verona.

2.55/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a very dark, opaque brownish-black that only lets a little bit of light through on the edges. One finger head that does not last long at all. Smells like and oatmeal stout. Taste is terribly disappointing. It lacks the roasted oatmeal taste that I thought was sort of essential for the style (it being an oatmeal stout and all). It's not a bad beer, just a bad oatmeal stout. Much better choices are out there.

2.65/5  rDev -26%

Poured this from a 12oz brown bottle into an English pint glass. My label is different than the one pictured here, but from looking on Gray's website, it appears this is the same beer.

Appearance: Pours a thick dark mahogany color, almost black. Very little head. The head that is here falls to just a thin coating of light brown foam.

Smell: Very strong smell of roasted barley, like sticking your head in a fresh bag of the stuff. The barley is so strong that I really don't pick up anything else in the smell.

Taste: Has a lot more of a CO2 bite than I am used to in stouts, almost hides some of the flavor. Once the intial bite fades, there is the taste of roasted barley with just a hint of hops at the end.

Mouthfeel: Pretty high carbonation. Not as much body as you would expect from an oatmeal beer.

Drinkability: The high level of carbonation is a big detractor for me. The CO2 gives a strong bite at the beginning, but there really isn't much flavor behind it. Not bad, but I have had a lot more flavorful examples of Oatmeal Stout.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Opaque brown/black with 1/4 inch translucent brown near head. Head itself dissipates rather quickly leaving a slight patchy lacing. Aroma is inviting with all the standard trappings of an oatmeal stout. Taste leaves quite a bit to be desired and as others have stated there is a strange overbearing banana aftertaste which is something I'm not accustomed to in any variety of stout. Mouthfeel is faintly rich and could be exactly what I expected were it not for the high carbonation. Overall I'd say this is not a good showing for an oatmeal stout.

2.77/5  rDev -22.6%

I had this on tap at the UW Memorial Union Rathskeller.

A-It was a very dark, nearly black color. The head was tan, but went away rather rapidly.
S-Earthy and roasted nose.
T-Roasted almost burnt, little to no sweetness.
M-Very thin and watery, not as thick as the usual OS.
D-It was quite drinkable for a stout.

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%

I got this brew from my mother who was vacationing with family in Wisconsin, and this was one of the beers she brought back for me. Thanks mom.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - This beer's initial appearance made me sad. It produced an 1/8 finger head that dissipated immediately. It had absolutely no head retention. It is mostly opaque black with ruby edges only perceptible when held to a light. The lack of head and watery texture of the beer doesn't bode well with me.

Smell - The scent isn't that bad - what I can smell of it. I had to dig deep, but I get notes of dark roasted malt that emits the scents of cocoa powder and slightly roasted coffee. I wish the smell was a little bolder.

Taste - I predominately get flavors of cocoa powder and coffee. There is a bitter flavor at the end of the drink. The taste is okay, but I feel like it is missing something. There is nothing that jumps out as special.

Mouthfeel - Oh man, this is not good. This beer is really watery and light bodied, and there is hardly any carbonation - extremely flat feeling. It goes down very smooth - like water.

Drinkability - This beer isn't all that great. The mouthfeel kills it for me. It tastes good and smells good, but it drinks like water and doesn't look appealing - and that is just not what I was looking for. There are way better stouts out there. I am glad I tried it for the experience, but I certainly won't be searching for this one again.

3.01/5  rDev -15.9%

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Gotta love those muttonchops... Anyway, this stuff pours a deep sienna topped by a finger of khaki foam. The nose comprises light roasted malts, toasted funky wheat, and a dusting of mild cocoa powder. The taste doesn't wanna make any waves, so it just copies the smell, despite how boring that makes it come across. There's definitely a blackened pretzel character abiding here. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel that borders on nigh-watery. Overall, a meek little oatmeal stout, one that's not offensive in any way but also doesn't seem to wanna try to be very good.

3.04/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from sampler pack bottle into oversize wine glass to start out Super Bowl 46.

A: Chalky mahogany brown, seems a little watery for an Oatmeal Stout.

S: Smells mostly of sweet chocolate and phenol alcohol, not bad. Seems promising.

T: Tastes of bitter chocolate, slightly tart and dry finish, a hint a earthy hops. Decent, but nothing to write home about.

M: Watery and thin, way off for the style. I expect silky smooth, but this misses completely, and the carbonation is too bubbly.

O: Average stout, too watery but drinkable. Lacking in the silky smooth department.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer pours a fairly dark black (although I could see rays of red and brown as light passed through the bottle-to-glass stream) with a minimal tan head.

Aroma is a quite potent coffee and chocolate malt odor.

Flavor is also strong coffee and chocolate notes, and is quite good.

However, I was very distracted from the taste of this beer with a watery and flat-feeling mouthfeel.

This is a good tasting beer, but the mouthfeel issue led me to be slightly disappointed with it.

Oatmeal Stout from Gray's Brewing Company