Good On Ya!

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Good On Ya!Good On Ya!
Notes: G'day! This very special version of our Good N You is hopped exclusively with Australian hops: Galaxy, Enigma, Ella and Vic Secret. The result is a tropical fruit explosion of mango and papaya.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by rudzud:
3.19/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Thanks to JLindros for hooking me up with a can of this.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice hazy golden orange milkshake hue with a thin one finger white head that faded slowly to no real lacing and a thin halo.

S - Aromas of TONS of skunky hops. Like, an alarmingly amount of skunky hops. Maybe a little bit of citrus and orange zest as well as flashes of stonefruit and bready malts but holy shit...a good swirl makes it smell like a skunk walked by. Is there somehow mercaptan in this?!

T - Taste is sadly similar to the nose. Flashes of citrus peel and tropical fruit and bready malts before, once again, taking a hard turn to skunky flavours. Incredibly skunky and spicy. Completely puzzling here.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, decent body.

O - Overall this was an absolute mess. No clue what happened here because the off flavours and aromas here are just awful. Something definitely went wrong.

Serving Type: Can

4.56/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I haven't checked in with Springdale's IPA stuff recently, but I'm really glad I made a detour to the local beer store on my way home from work today, because I picked up a four pack of this new one I've never even heard about, just on a whim. I mean, I had a good feeling about it when I looked at the hop bill. Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella, and Enigma. That's a powerhouse lineup of heavy-hitters in the new-school hop game, and they're all from Down Under. This is a fantastic new IPA that I am super excited about!

Pours a lighter-than-expected straw-golden color with the requisite intense haziness/near-opacity of a quality NEIPA. Head is foamy and dissipates pretty quickly, but does retain with about a half-finger of white suds. Not much in the way of lace here, but solid legs for sure. A good looking beer, but honestly not too out-of-the-ordinary. What's beneath the surface, however, is excellent.

The nose, right upfront, hits with wave upon wave of interesting hop elements. Light spice from the Ella leads off with some almost nutmeg/herbal qualities before the strong pulpy fruit overtones of Enigma take over and get things going proper. Grape-like and with slight orchard fruit currents running throughout, the beer then takes a turn for juicy citrus and light unripe papaya here and there. A small helping of "green" and resinous undertones, along with another blast of citrusy tang, catch up as I move my nose away from the glass. Yikes, this one is just chock-full of hops, and, they're unique and characterfully utilized to boot!

Lots of orange, tangerine, lemon, and papaya right upfront on the tongue with light notes of raspberry, grassy mint, wild herbs, and white grape. Dry and fruity, spritzy finish with a nice, coating, oily mouthfeel. Carbonation is bright and effervescent, but never so pushy that it gets in the way of the nice, balanced hop flavors. I feel like the malt in this is slightly off-center, and a bit too light for its own good, but I'd also think anything more than this would likely be too malty, so maybe it's more balanced than it would be otherwise. It's kind of on the edge of being "overly-hoppy," at times, though, so if really traditionally "hoppy" NEIPAs aren't your thing, this might not be in your wheelhouse. In other words, it's not a juice bomb or whatever. It's a calculated hop-delivery vessel, and I'm so glad I have more of it. Great stuff!

4.14/5  rDev +4%

Draft at the brewery
Big pillowy creamy head, medium retention and magnum sticky lacing, hazy cloudy apricot orange color

Nose is great, a bit dank musty first, then explosion of fruit, big tropical, pineapple, papaya, guava, peachy stone fruit, citrus, star fruit, under that is light doughy grainy gristy malt with pithy and a touch papery pulp or possibly chalky mineral, hard to tell

Taste bitter hop resin out front, little rabbi and oil like, herbal earthy grassy like, then fruits finally cut in, dank tropical like papaya and Jack fruit, guava, pineapple, light stone fruit, star fruit, the combination of all the hop characters gets weird, mild bitterness, more doughy pithy malts, cereal grain and flaked suspended proteins, touch of chalky minerals, no papery oxidation, but pithy and a bit green, drier finish but a Lyme sticky sweet, and mild spicy chewy green hop finish

Mouth is med bod, little soft juicy, medium to a bit higher carb, a touch astringent on the finish due to heavy dry hops

Overall mixed, fairly solid in general but I feel like there is some hop characters that need to drop out, give it another week or two before trying this and it could be great

4.02/5  rDev +1%

Interesting hop profile. The emphasis is more on an interesting flavor: not your usual American NEIPA or IPA. An winey citrus flavor. The aroma is floral with some citrus.

The taste is grapefruit with an added “Aussie” hop fruit profile. Enigma is the newest in the lot. I’ve tasted a single hop Ella beer from Nightshift which is quite excellent.

The Vic secret beers I have tasted are okay. A different flavor, not to my liking.
So the question here is- is this a good hop combo? I would say not- for me. It’s a personal preference.

The fruit profile is okay, but it lacks a robust fruit character. Too winey.

The finish is excellent- spicy hop character which unfortunately overshadow the fruit taste. That happens sometimes. In Saisons and Pale Ales.

This is an excellent beer, well brewed like everything I’ve tasted from Jacks Abby. I go way back with the brewery. I had the opportunity to taste the Framinghammer Baltic Porter aged in Bourbon barrels from the keg at their first birthday party. It wasn’t available yet in bottles. Now that’s my kind of beer.

Is this worth tasting? Yes. Because a craft beer drinker eventually develops a taste for beers brewed with certain hops. This hop combo doesn’t work for me. Regardless, it’s an excellent beer.

Good On Ya! from Springdale Barrel Room