BlackStack / Wren House - Birds In The Trap | Blackstack Brewing

Blackstack Brewing
Minnesota, United States
blackstackbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

This collab Honey DIPA was brewed with our homies Wren House Brewing Company from Phoenix. We used Belma, Azacca and Cashmere. St. Croix Valley Honey from Wolf Honey Farms gives it a crisp, dry finish.

Reviews by Bunuelian:
3.69/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a mostly clear and certainly not hazy golden color with a thin head. smell was light citrus and white wine yeast. Taste was fruity with white grape and citrus very light melon ,not much honey taste for me. A dry mouth feel with medium carbonation. Twas not a fan of this one.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

The bi-weekly (it seems) IPA release from Blackstack, my last 16 oz. can. Honey. I’m imagining Hopslam. Let’s hope that’s the direction this heads.

The pour is prospector gold, & not clear, but certainly not days of haze. Nose is faintly sweet, but not much going on there.

Birds in the Trap is full of hops I’m not very or at all familiar with…& perhaps they should keep their distance. The beer has an almost green hop sting to it that I like as much as new episodes of Say Yes to the Dress. Beneath the hops is vague fruitiness; any sweetness is buried beneath the harsh hops.

Not into this at all. The hops bring ground-up aspirin, & I don’t trust anyone who likes that. The first sub-par beer I’ve had from Blackstack, this one is a dead mourning dove for me.

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

From a 16oz can:

Appearance: Yellow-gold, slight haze, huge head.

Smell: Smells like canned fruit cocktail--pears, apples, syrup.

Taste: Moderately sweet, muddled fruit taste. Citrus bitterness in the finish. Light feel for a DIPA. Dry finish.

Overall: I was excited to see a collab between Wren House and Blackstack, Wren House is one of my favorites in AZ. The beer is good, but just a little off. Kind of mixed up tasting and smells like cafeteria-style fruit cocktail. But it is interesting and different, that's what I've been looking for lately.

BlackStack / Wren House - Birds In The Trap from Blackstack Brewing