Chocolate Porter | Legend Brewing Co.

good
Chocolate PorterChocolate Porter

Legend Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
legendbrewing.com

Style: English Porter

Availability: Fall

Porter by standard description is a rich, sweet ale that is not easily seen through. Porter by Legend standards exceeds these parameters slightly. Legend Chocolate Porter takes on a new level of Porterness. We were generous in our additions of dark malts for this brew. These include Caramel and Chocolate malts, as well as our standard “Porter malts”. The addition of natural cocoa extract at filtering time gives this brew a strong choco-nose and a deep lingering Wonkaesque finish. German Tettenang hops are used for a clean balancing bitterness. Expect a dark black beer with a rich and sweet aromatic presence. The flavor is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and more dark chocolate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-23-2003

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an extremely dark brown, no light passes through. The head keeps growing. As soon as I started to remove the cap foam started spilling out of the bottle and quickly filled two glasses.

The scent was very dark like heavily roasted malt and dark chocolate. There was also a faint scent of wood.

The taste was dark chocolate and a slight sour note. I always expect milk chocolate to come out of chocolate beers but keep getting reminded that CHOCOLATE is much darker than that. Not much else to pick out other than dark chocolate and rich, heavy malt character.

Feel was smooth and creamy as a result of the foam that develops. In the back the feel was a little less creamy and a bit dryer.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Consumed 1/7
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours an opaque black with a 1/2 inch of light brown head. Head recedes immediately leaving minimal to no lacing.

S: Nose is chocoalte, toffee and a healthy dose of hazelnut.

T: Taste - taste completely like a Skor bar in liquid form!! Chocolate at the forefront that blends nicely in to toffee. These two flavors hold through as a touch of nuttiness comes in. The flavors come in seperately but meld together in the finish with almost a peanut butter aftertaste in the finish. Delish!

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, crisp and clean.

O: Goes down easy, tasty, not too filling, mild kick, nice variation of the style. This isn't a typical beer - you could have this as dessert! Seriously reminded me of a Skor bar...

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

I bought this on a whim... and poured it into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Dark chocolate brown, with a really nice, silky head that looked like the center of a "Three Musketeer" bar.

S: Lots of chocolate on this one. Not necessarily cocoa, but more of the "Nestle's Quick" variety. It's so potent that it almost smells like it's in powdered form.

T: I got a slight bitter kick on the end to represent the char in the porter, but not enough to my mind. I did appreciate the savoriness of the chocolate though. This is a dessert through and through, and the decision to make this a porter was a great decision indeed; I've always thought the transparency of the style lends itself much more to these novelty-style brews than stouts (or any other styles). I got a bit of a "milky" quality after a few sips as well.

M: Creamy and rich, without being too. Actually, the carbonation level was perfect and the lacing minimal.

O: I've tried some damn fine beers from Legend in the past year, and this one certainly continues that trend.

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a snifter. I think this is from early 2010, but I'm not sure.

3.0 A: Looks like this has become severly overcarbonated. Not a gusher, but I only got about a half inch of liquid on the first pour with a big frothy head filling the rest. Several pours and more than several minutes later, I finally got a full glass. Black color. Three fingers of frothy light brown head with decent retention, but not much lacing.

3.0 S: Aroma is weaker than I prefer. Dry and "dusty" overall, but there is some caramel in there. The cacoa is there, but doesn't contribute a whole lot though it gains some strength as the beer warms. A light cidery component as well.

3.5 T: The taste is better than the nose. The cocoa comes through much stronger in the nose and it works well with the base beer. The underlying porter is musky, dusty, but not as dry as the nose. Caramel sweetness brings about some good balance with the roasty and char flavors. Again, there is a light cidery component.

3.0 M: I would have given this a 3.5 if it wasn't so overlycarbonated. I did swirl it down to an acceptable level, but that isn't something I should be required to do. Lighter medium body. Decently creamy for how light the body is. Would be smoother with appropriate carbonation.

3.0 D: This wasn't too bad, but it's not something I would buy. The taste was alright, but the cider component hints that the brewery isn't very consistent. The carbonation was a pain in the ass to deal with, but if the beer was better, I could have dealt with it.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Had on tap tonight at the Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, and light fruit. Tastes of both sweet chocolate and bitter chocolate.

t - Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and bakers chocolate. Tastes a little too sweet to me.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A nice chocolate porter but the taste was a bit too sweet for me. Would have again but it can be a bit tough to get through a full pint.

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

APPEARANCE: Pouring from the bottle into a stange glass produced a 1.5" foamy, light tan, quickly dissipating head with virtually no lacing. Body was a murky black with cloudy particles and little carbonation.

AROMA: Picked up a heavy chocolate smell that reminded me of milk chocolate and a moderate aroma of alcohol.

TASTE: The predominant taste was of milk chocolate, not unpleasant. Also noticed a slight nutty taste and a bit of citrus. There was also a moderate taste of alcohol.

MOUTHFEEL: This was a full bodied beer that left a slight oily texture on the tongue. Carbonation was soft and the finish was a long-lasting faintly metallic taste. The initial flavor was somewhat sweet with a slight bitter accent. This did not change. There was virtually no body lacing.

DRINKABILITY: This is my first chocolate porter. It was tasty and enjoyable. I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it again but if someone offered it to me, I certainly wouldn't turn it down and would enjoy drinking it. At 36 cents an ounce (bar price), it presented a very reasonable value.

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz bottle. A totally dense dark color with no light getting through. Small dark tan head, poor retention and no lacing.

I poured it cold and the cold aroma is heavy duty milk chocolate. Very nice. As the beer warmed, subsequent pours yielded more roasted malts and a little vanilla.

Taste was similar to aroma. It was milk chocolate all the way at first. A little harsh and overpowering. When warmed up, the maltiness balanced the chocolate better and hints of vanilla and coffee appeared. This beer is much better a bit warm.

Mouthfeel smoothed out the longer I drank. Goes down nice and easy after a bit of harshness when cold.

Drinkability is ok. I can't do a lot of chocolate in my beer. This was fairly good, but I would rather have a Legend Barleywine or a fresher version of the 2009 Oktoberfest

Chocolate Porter from Legend Brewing Co.