Chocolate Porter | Legend Brewing Co.

good
Chocolate PorterChocolate Porter

Legend Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
legendbrewing.com

Style: English Porter

Availability: Fall

Porter by standard description is a rich, sweet ale that is not easily seen through. Porter by Legend standards exceeds these parameters slightly. Legend Chocolate Porter takes on a new level of Porterness. We were generous in our additions of dark malts for this brew. These include Caramel and Chocolate malts, as well as our standard “Porter malts”. The addition of natural cocoa extract at filtering time gives this brew a strong choco-nose and a deep lingering Wonkaesque finish. German Tettenang hops are used for a clean balancing bitterness. Expect a dark black beer with a rich and sweet aromatic presence. The flavor is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and more dark chocolate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-23-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 102
1.78/5  rDev -50.7%

Presentation: Twelve-ounce serving lovingly poured into a plastic cup.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark, murky brown with a tan head that seems “tired.” Almost no lacing as well, although this and the head retention could be related to the nonexistent glassware. Not blaming the guys too much for this.

Smell: Butter and cocoa masquerading as chocolate. There’s something here that comes off as sickeningly—perhaps raisin-like—sweet. Caramel? I don’t know, but this seems confused and not very appetizing.

Taste: Whoa, someone melted a stick of butter into an otherwise decent porter. I pick up notes of diacetyl and cocoa powder. Oh, and raisins. And diacetyl. Perhaps a hint of coffee. And diacetyl. And again, more diacetyl. I’m waiting for the chocolate that’s been promised to me. The buttery flavor is probably the greatest flaw of this brew and it's unfortunate that it overwhelms everything else. Confusing and gross.

Mouthfeel: Probably the nicest aspect of this brew and even this was mediocre. Thinner than I would have hoped, but not terribly offensive when compared to the taste.

Drinkability: The thinner body makes this brew easier to drink, but the taste does not. A chore to get through, in my opinion.

Notes: I’m not going to complain too much, since I got this for free when I followed a friend to the anniversary party. Plus, it is good to support the local brew scene. Seriously, though, there is a limit. I didn’t pay and I’m still wanting my money back. Or someone’s money back, anyway. I’m hoping I was served either the wrong beer or there was some problem with this specific keg or it was a practical joke. If it’s the lattermost, it’s not funny. This is grim and upsets my stomach.

If offered this again, I might have it just to ensure that I am having the beer that I was meant to have. I’ve never been particularly enamored of Legends, but I’ve had a few passable brews from them. This isn’t one of them. Guys, you can do better.

A failure of a brew. Pass on this.

22oz bomber

Appearance: Dark brown/black with a tan head.

Smell: Roasted malts a bit of coffee

Taste – Chocolate and roasted malty goodness with some hops to even it all out. Fairly sweet up front with a bit of bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, not quite as solid as I expected which makes the beer much easier to finish.

Drinkability: Not super thick so this bomber went donw with ease and left me wanting another.

Overall I like this beer very much. It is made in the capital city of my state and right down the road form a good friend of mine. I would never turn one of these down.

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bomber
Pours a deep brown with slightly translucent edges. Head is thick, tan and short-lived. Lacing, however, is quite nice. A neat tan collar surrounds the liquid in the glass.
Smell is chocolate, slightly buttery, and just a bit acidic. Slight hop aroma, and a bit musty.
Taste is a bit bitter, but not so much from the hops as it is bitter chocolate. A slight bit buttery, some caramel, and there's still that nagging bit of acidity that I'm not really liking so much, but that's more of a mouthfeel issue. A pretty decent flavor profile for a porter, slightly roasty... Chocolate aftertaste is nice as well.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin and is kind of overwhelmed by the afformentioned acidity.
That being said, this is still a good beer. I would definitely be able to have more than one in a session.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Drank a 23 oz. bottle given to me by a Stout-loving friend. Pours a dark black with a reasonable head that dissipates quickly. A little sweet up front with a nice chocolaty bitter bite at the end. The smoke and chocolate flavors are subdued. The mouthfeel is a little thin and the flavor, while good, is not outstanding. What is outstanding is the drinkability. This is a great session beer. A nice flavor that goes down easy and stays interesting.

4.27/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an oily, opaque black with deep copper highlights. The creamy brown head features fair retention and leaves a generous, sprawling lace. Massive cocoa aroma with a little toffee and caramel too. Huge cocoa character in the flavor as well, but there is also roasted coffee bitterness, subtle caramel, and some burnt fruit character. While the brew’s maltiness overwhelms any hop bite, the bitterness of the burnt/cocoa flavors establish a decent balance. Extra creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Perhaps the best porter I’ve ever had, it certainly has the most robust cocoa flavor I’ve ever encountered in this style of beer. An exceptional beer from a consistently outstanding brewery. Highly, highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Opaque as all hell, black as night. I gave it a virgorous pour, so the head bubbled up nicely, though it faded quickly. Not as much lacing as I would've liked.

Smell: Toasted character of the malts, dark, bitter chocolate, slight bitter coffee, and a subtle sense of lingering hops. I was hoping for more cocoa, but alas it's still pretty good.

Taste: Starts slightly sweet with some dark chocolate, and, ah, now the cocoa, which makes is presence known quite well without being overdone or cloying. The balance of hops is really done quite well, as it's enough to calm down the malts, but at the finish the malty sweetness sits on the tongue, melding fantastically with the hops for a pleasant residual balance.

Mouthfeel: Due to what I think is the cocoa, maybe, the mouthfeel seems to be a bit chalky, but oddly enough it's fitting for my palate, and I think fitting for the beer. Medium body, slightly creamy. A bit odd, though welcoming to me, for a porter I think.

Drinkability: I heard Legend got a new brewmaster, and that may make sense, because the last few brews I've had have been very very good. Maybe it depends on the freshness too? Not sure, but either way this is good stuff, so if you're a porter fan and you can snag this in the area it's well worth checking out.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Black, a translucent brown at the edges, with a large tan head that ultimately disappears. Smell starts clean with slight chocolate overtones. As the beer warms, a buttery odor (like Dominion Lager) kicks in. Taste is crispy up front, bitter cocoa, and some bittering hops. The cocoa flavor lingers for a bit too. The mouthfeel is thin for a porter. Easy to drink. Acceptable desert beer.

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%

Presentation – 22oz bomber with badass logo

Appearance – dark with thick tan head

Aroma – not a ton going on, some grassy notes, kind of alcoholy

Taste – I think the taste is nice and well balanced all around. Definitely a lot of chocolate and roasted malts with a slight hint of coffee. In general, a bit sweeter than most porters, nothing spectacular, but decent all around.

Mouthfeel – full bodied, good carbonation

Drinkability – thick, but the balance makes this one easy going down

3.26/5  rDev -9.7%

Black body with a brown head that dissipates much too quickly and leaves no head or lace.
Good chocolate scent with some alcohol present and faint coffee bean.
Taste is cocoa beans and some cofee beans, alcohol apparent and pretty much the taste is the same as the smell. Very little aftertaste.
Pretty thin for the style and very little coating.
Even with the good taste, the lack of body and head just ruins this brew and makes it boring after 1/2 a bottle.

-Oelergud

2.74/5  rDev -24.1%

This one was quite a disappointment. It just proves the point that appearances can be deceiving... Pours with a huge brown head that has quite a cascading effect for a non-nitro can brew. The head becomes rather rocky, and eventually turns into a sparce lace that lingers for the duration. Almost solid black in color. Not much at all can be seen through this one. Great looking brew, but it begins to fall apart as soon as I attempt to take in the aroma. Unfortunately, there's not much aroma there at all. Slight chocolate notes, but it's so faint, it's tough to tell. The mouthfeel is medium. Nothing to complain about, but noting to write home about either. The flavor profile is probably just about as one-dimensional as any beer I've ever had. Start to finish is almost completely overtaken by the chocolate notes that at the same time seem far too buttery. The chocolate also seem rather artificial, making me think that some sort of cheap chocolate flavoring (way too much of it for that matter) was just haphazardly tossed into rather bland porter in attempt to save it. After a few sips, the chocolate flavoring becomes quite cloying. There is a slight roastedness towards the end of the swallow that makes you think that this is, indeed, a porter... it's fleeting though so pay attention or you'll miss it. I've typically been rather pleased with Legend brews. Not this time. I bought 2 bottles of this. I'm not sure what I'll do with the second. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, and the second will show a marked improvement.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown decent sized caramel tan head leaves minimal lacing as it dwindles. Aroma: Mix of caramel, chocolate, and a touch of rich peanut butter with a coffee edge. Taste: Tart in the forefron with coffee notes and dark chocolate hints pretty sweet but a tart offness in the finish makes me wonder how this classifies as a chocolate porter. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation, nice brew. Drinkability: Not bad lacks true chocolate presence and I notice some flaws like the arbitrary tart character.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

A solid brew, nothing overly complex, but still quite enjoyable and flavorful. Pours a light-swallowing black, as dark as Storm King or Brooklyn BCS, with a smallish mocha colored head that doesn't stay around too long. A smell of burnt chocolate emanates from the glass, and taste follows suit. Malty and chocolatey with a nice, thick mouthfeel. More of everything and this beer would be extremely special; as it stands, I wouldn't turn it down, and could probably make a session of it. I'm proud to share a hometown with this brew. I know price shouldn't factor into a review, but If you want a beer with "Chocolate" in its name, you're a hell of a lot better off dropping the $3.75 for this than you are the $15 for a certain other specialty beer.

2.69/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Opaque blackness. Massively thick tan-colored head quickly dies away to nothing. Sparse lacing (?dirty glass?). Tremendous amounts of butter noted in the aroma, to the point of being overwhelming. Only the tiniest amounts of cocoa powder can penetrate the stick of butter thrust up your nose. Flavor has a very, very raisin-like character. Certainly not what I expected in a chocolate porter. There is also a bit of chocolate and caramel sweetness, but they play only a minor cameo role. Finished much more "fizzy" than expected, with a hint of sourness. Not much chocolate in this porter, but sadly, I've come to not expect much from Legend's beers. Mouthfeel is OK, thought slightly on the thin side. Drinkability suffers from the massive diacetyl aromas and the strong sour-raisin flavors. I'd like to try this in a fresh bottle and see if it's different.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Chocolate Porter from Legend Brewing Co.