Chocolate Porter | Legend Brewing Co.

good
Chocolate PorterChocolate Porter

Legend Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States | website

Style: English Porter

Availability: Fall

Porter by standard description is a rich, sweet ale that is not easily seen through. Porter by Legend standards exceeds these parameters slightly. Legend Chocolate Porter takes on a new level of Porterness. We were generous in our additions of dark malts for this brew. These include Caramel and Chocolate malts, as well as our standard “Porter malts”. The addition of natural cocoa extract at filtering time gives this brew a strong choco-nose and a deep lingering Wonkaesque finish. German Tettenang hops are used for a clean balancing bitterness. Expect a dark black beer with a rich and sweet aromatic presence. The flavor is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and more dark chocolate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-23-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 102
3.37/5  rDev -6.6%

dark, dark brown; almost black. light tan head drops quickly, but laces decently. aroma is candied dark fruits. raisins or prunes and of course, chocolate. taste: first off, let me say this one's been sitting in the fridge for a little while. i've had this very fresh and the chocolate flavor was absolutely delicious. however, in this sampling, the chocolate is fairly subdued compared to what i remember. very porter-esque. the chocolate is there, but mostly sweet dark fruits and grapes with a slight touch of alcohol. some lightly bitter coffee. finishes sweet and a little metallic. mouthfeel is a porter light with a little too much carbonation. overall, this isn't a bad beer at all. definitely a decent porter. i think it gets some unjust bad reviews, however, i poured this beer wanting chocolate. didn't get it this time, but i have before. i'll try it again fresh hoping it's as good as i remember.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

09 release.
A: Black, dark, with a 2 finger light head.
S: A bit of cocoa. Not much roast. Lots of caramel malts.
T: Hershey cocoa, milk chocolate, and caramel.
M: A little sweet but not very thick. Good carbonation.
D: Great drinkability due to lower alcohol content and less viscous body.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Nice dark brown, almost completely opaque. Little head quickly dissapating.

Smell: Dark fruits. raisins and prunes, chocolate and vanilla.

Taste: Much better this year than last. The chocolate is immediately apparent and very nice. Better than Youngs I would say. A little malty, really no hops. Kind of a fresher chocolate taste that blends well with the beer. The taste stays with you for a while and is really nice. Almost buttery. No alcohol presence detected.

Drinkability: Very good. I could really drink this all the time and would if it were available. Not too thick, and shouldnt be since its not a stout. Good representation of the style. Will drink anytime.

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

S = I didn't detect a lot in the nose other than some cocoa powder and a little malt sweetness.

T = Wow! The taste definitely took center stage on this one. A big cocoa powder flavor upfront with a little roasted malts near the end. The finish was a very nice semi-sweet roasted cocoa flavor that lingered. Only a hint of hop bitterness, which was more like a quality coffee bitterness.

MF = Body was medium and carbonation was between low and moderate. Finished a little dry, but very creamy.

Overall, this was a real winner for me. I passed on this one last year, but I'm stocking up after tasting this little gem. Legend has done an outstanding job.

2.74/5  rDev -24.1%

This one was quite a disappointment. It just proves the point that appearances can be deceiving... Pours with a huge brown head that has quite a cascading effect for a non-nitro can brew. The head becomes rather rocky, and eventually turns into a sparce lace that lingers for the duration. Almost solid black in color. Not much at all can be seen through this one. Great looking brew, but it begins to fall apart as soon as I attempt to take in the aroma. Unfortunately, there's not much aroma there at all. Slight chocolate notes, but it's so faint, it's tough to tell. The mouthfeel is medium. Nothing to complain about, but noting to write home about either. The flavor profile is probably just about as one-dimensional as any beer I've ever had. Start to finish is almost completely overtaken by the chocolate notes that at the same time seem far too buttery. The chocolate also seem rather artificial, making me think that some sort of cheap chocolate flavoring (way too much of it for that matter) was just haphazardly tossed into rather bland porter in attempt to save it. After a few sips, the chocolate flavoring becomes quite cloying. There is a slight roastedness towards the end of the swallow that makes you think that this is, indeed, a porter... it's fleeting though so pay attention or you'll miss it. I've typically been rather pleased with Legend brews. Not this time. I bought 2 bottles of this. I'm not sure what I'll do with the second. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, and the second will show a marked improvement.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours pure black with thick dark beige head that drops fast. Aroma is strong cocoa, expresso and some faint raisons. Basically smells like a chocolate cake. The taste is dark chocolate, expresso with a light hop spiceness. No sweetness. Aftertaste leaves you with the flavor of bitter chocolate. Highly carbonated. Okay, but I grew tired of the taste by the end of the glass.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

APPEARANCE: Pouring from the bottle into a stange glass produced a 1.5" foamy, light tan, quickly dissipating head with virtually no lacing. Body was a murky black with cloudy particles and little carbonation.

AROMA: Picked up a heavy chocolate smell that reminded me of milk chocolate and a moderate aroma of alcohol.

TASTE: The predominant taste was of milk chocolate, not unpleasant. Also noticed a slight nutty taste and a bit of citrus. There was also a moderate taste of alcohol.

MOUTHFEEL: This was a full bodied beer that left a slight oily texture on the tongue. Carbonation was soft and the finish was a long-lasting faintly metallic taste. The initial flavor was somewhat sweet with a slight bitter accent. This did not change. There was virtually no body lacing.

DRINKABILITY: This is my first chocolate porter. It was tasty and enjoyable. I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it again but if someone offered it to me, I certainly wouldn't turn it down and would enjoy drinking it. At 36 cents an ounce (bar price), it presented a very reasonable value.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bottle pours dark black into a pint glass with a creamy light brown foam that holds up well.

Smells intensely of chocolate with a little bit of background fruit and a hint of alcohol, a little earthy.

Tastes of fruity chocolate, followed by maltiness and a dry bitterness with a lovely aftertaste. Not as sweet as I was expecting, and there is an acidic component to the fruitiness that blends with the cocoa into an interesting flavor like a raspberry truffle or something. Pretty wild.

Rich and somewhat carbonated, this one kind of lacks the sweetness of some dessert beers perhaps, but makes up for it with character. I think they snuck some raspberries in here or something. The malts get lost a little behind the cocoa and raspberry fruitiness. Some might say more sweetness could do more for this combination of flavors but personally I think it's fine.

3.87/5  rDev +7.2%

Aroma: Sweet, you can really smell the cocoa in there.
Appearance. very dark, opaque. the head is brown and creamy. I would honestly say reminds me of a Guiness.
Flavor: Ever have some bakers chocolate by itself? That's what this tastes like. It's bitter and sweet. I get hints of roasted malt in there. I get another taste that I am not sure what it could be, molasses maybe?
Mouth feel: Low carbonation. Has some creamy tendencies there. I do almost get a alcoholy after taste but not over powering.
Overall impression: Wow, this is a pleasant surprise really. I wasn't sure what to expect. I like this one simply because it is a nice sipper. Legends has had several beers that are very much surprising and this would be one of them.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

A solid brew, nothing overly complex, but still quite enjoyable and flavorful. Pours a light-swallowing black, as dark as Storm King or Brooklyn BCS, with a smallish mocha colored head that doesn't stay around too long. A smell of burnt chocolate emanates from the glass, and taste follows suit. Malty and chocolatey with a nice, thick mouthfeel. More of everything and this beer would be extremely special; as it stands, I wouldn't turn it down, and could probably make a session of it. I'm proud to share a hometown with this brew. I know price shouldn't factor into a review, but If you want a beer with "Chocolate" in its name, you're a hell of a lot better off dropping the $3.75 for this than you are the $15 for a certain other specialty beer.

3.81/5  rDev +5.5%

Presentation – 22oz bomber with badass logo

Appearance – dark with thick tan head

Aroma – not a ton going on, some grassy notes, kind of alcoholy

Taste – I think the taste is nice and well balanced all around. Definitely a lot of chocolate and roasted malts with a slight hint of coffee. In general, a bit sweeter than most porters, nothing spectacular, but decent all around.

Mouthfeel – full bodied, good carbonation

Drinkability – thick, but the balance makes this one easy going down

1.78/5  rDev -50.7%

Presentation: Twelve-ounce serving lovingly poured into a plastic cup.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark, murky brown with a tan head that seems “tired.” Almost no lacing as well, although this and the head retention could be related to the nonexistent glassware. Not blaming the guys too much for this.

Smell: Butter and cocoa masquerading as chocolate. There’s something here that comes off as sickeningly—perhaps raisin-like—sweet. Caramel? I don’t know, but this seems confused and not very appetizing.

Taste: Whoa, someone melted a stick of butter into an otherwise decent porter. I pick up notes of diacetyl and cocoa powder. Oh, and raisins. And diacetyl. Perhaps a hint of coffee. And diacetyl. And again, more diacetyl. I’m waiting for the chocolate that’s been promised to me. The buttery flavor is probably the greatest flaw of this brew and it's unfortunate that it overwhelms everything else. Confusing and gross.

Mouthfeel: Probably the nicest aspect of this brew and even this was mediocre. Thinner than I would have hoped, but not terribly offensive when compared to the taste.

Drinkability: The thinner body makes this brew easier to drink, but the taste does not. A chore to get through, in my opinion.

Notes: I’m not going to complain too much, since I got this for free when I followed a friend to the anniversary party. Plus, it is good to support the local brew scene. Seriously, though, there is a limit. I didn’t pay and I’m still wanting my money back. Or someone’s money back, anyway. I’m hoping I was served either the wrong beer or there was some problem with this specific keg or it was a practical joke. If it’s the lattermost, it’s not funny. This is grim and upsets my stomach.

If offered this again, I might have it just to ensure that I am having the beer that I was meant to have. I’ve never been particularly enamored of Legends, but I’ve had a few passable brews from them. This isn’t one of them. Guys, you can do better.

A failure of a brew. Pass on this.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Drank a 23 oz. bottle given to me by a Stout-loving friend. Pours a dark black with a reasonable head that dissipates quickly. A little sweet up front with a nice chocolaty bitter bite at the end. The smoke and chocolate flavors are subdued. The mouthfeel is a little thin and the flavor, while good, is not outstanding. What is outstanding is the drinkability. This is a great session beer. A nice flavor that goes down easy and stays interesting.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Chocolate Porter from Legend Brewing Co.