Brown Ale | Legend Brewing Co.

Brown AleBrown Ale

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2001

Outstanding!

4.9/5  rDev +28.6%

When in the Central Virginia area, make sure you treat your tastebuds to this smooth, slightly sweet concotion. The deep brown color says it will be heavy. It is not. The aroma says nutty, and it is, but its in the back fringe of the flavor profile. Stops just short of making your mouth giddy. Can be dangerously seductive which leads to mass consumption. Then when you stand up the alcohol kicks in and the world spins. Tap version far superior to bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +26%

4.8/5  rDev +26%

4.71/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter directly from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Off white one finger head, decent lacing, and a beautiful reddish-mohogany hue.

S - Aroma of a predominately toffee note, light on the hop but a good sweet malt.

T - Probably one of my most visited beers. I almost always keep this on hand. Definitely my favorite beer of their line and well deserved. Sweet malt with toffee and caramel notes, finishes clean not bitter, very slightly earthy.

M - Very balanced, again finishes very clean.

Overall: One of my favorites. As a devout fan of Brown Ales this almost always is my first choice. Everyone has one brew that they cannot simply pass up. This one happens to be mine.

Happy brewing.

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a 1/6 keg of this and is very crisp and drinkable!

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

One of the best brown ales we've ever had. The smell and taste feature an intense caramel note. Perfectly balanced. Light hops. Beautiful dark brown color.

4.65/5  rDev +22%

Purchased in a 12er from Kroger here in Glen Allen, VA - poured into English pint glass

Pours an amazing mahoghany, crystal clear brown color with brilliant lacing. Smells of Chocolate chip cookies and brown sugar.. man.. almost buttery but not in a bad diacetyl way. Taste follows, silky smooth brown sugar malty goodness. not much in the hop presence proper to style.

Overall this beer is an amazing E Brown. I could live on this beer. really.

4.65/5  rDev +22%

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

I have been drinking this beer for some time now and I have to say, I have never once been disappointed with the product.

Poured this beer into one of my favorite German mugs and the head quickly faded into almost nothing, but the lacing it leaves around the glass is beautiful. The colour is a deep amber, exactly as a brown ale ought to be.

The smell is reminiscent of roasted nuts and a faint smell of hops and true to the smell, the flavour follows suit.

The mouthfeel is not quite as smooth as could be hoped, but is still far about average.

Overall, I would say that this is one of the better brown ales I've ever had, certainly beating Newcastle, and although Samuel Smith's Nut Brown is still better, I would only say marginally so.

Enjoy!

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had it on draft at Whole Foods in Short Pump.

Amazing as usual.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my steady. I always have on hand. The best English style brown ale in the world.

From Legend Brewing Co.;

"Our most popular beer, Legend's is a full bodied version of a British Brown Ale. Expect a rich, malt-forward brew with a beautiful mahogany tone. Generous amounts of specialty malts bring flavors of sweet caramel, toasted nuts, coffee, and molasses, all perfectly balanced by a steady but cautious hop dryness. Fruity undertones provided by our house yeast strain bring the final flavor element to round out this world class ale. 5.8% Alc. By Vol."

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Old hometown favorite. One of the rare beers that I've had that is much better to me in bottle than on draft. The look is atypical in my opinion of most brown ales. But that doesn't take away from what attracts me most to this one. The taste and feel are beautiful. Ideal with or without food. I recommend this beer to anyone.

4.51/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional brew with plenty of flavor. I've enjoyed other browns but this is the best so far.
The molasses is pronounced but the combination of barley, nuts and caramel balance the flavors into a smooth note.
Enjoyed from the bottle in Virginia Beach, I will be back for more.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Brown Ale from Legend Brewing Co.