Imperial Stout | Legend Brewing Co.

Imperial StoutImperial Stout

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by ppoitras on 12-10-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.41/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks to OldFrothingSlosh, my Secret Santa, for this beer.

Poured into my Ommegang chalace.
Poured a deep dark chocolate brown, bordering on black. Couldn't see though this bad boy. Huge cappucino-tan head that had tons of staying power and decent lacing.
Incredibly surprised by the hoppy nose on this beer. Never had a stout that smelled this hoppy before. Quite grassy with some pine and sage undertones.
Nice big burnt caramel taste with plenty of roasted oatmeal and coffee thrown in, but the hoppyness doesn't end with the nose. This is definately a hophead's stout.
Very creamy and smooth, medium heavy mouthfeel. Quite quaffable.
Quite the departure from your average stout, or even you average double stout. The hoppyness really added a level of complexity to this beer. Nice change of pace, LBC.

3.91/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at Capital Ale House

Wowza!!! This is one hoppy brew! I honestly don't think I've ever had such a hoppy stout before. This and creamy, yet with a very distinct hop bitterness that takes over. It is truly an interesting brew.

Pours a dark chocolate with a thick cappucino colored head. Smells of burnt chocolate, pumpernickel, and a bit of something that I can quite put my finger on.

A very creamy beer. I would almost say it tastes like an DIPA if it werent for the creaminess.

A great beer, and definitely something out of the ordinary. Go and check it out!

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

This hopheads' stout is a subtle purplish black with a dark beige head, no light shines through this brew. Nose is heavily hopped with malty stout characteristics popping through promising a challenging drink. This tastes like a strong stout and an heavily hopped IPA were blended together. The hop character is strong right from the beginning. The finish is long, but not yet smooth. This keeps the drinkability lower for me. I believe this one has to age. This has the hallmarks of a winner with a little time on the shelf. Legend did this to last year's Tripel and after 8 months of cellaring it smooth out into a strong Belgian style with an American character. Wish beers like this were on their regular brewing schedule.

4.97/5  rDev +30.1%

22oz bottle from pentathlete as part of the OneBox BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a solid 1" dark brown head above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head isn't going anywhere fast, with sporadic foamy lacing. Aroma is piney cake batter, I know, I know, but that's what it smells like to me, and I like it. Taste is roasted oatmeal upfront, giving way to piney hops character, with a mutual aftertaste that is just right. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both superb, and I highly suggest finding this beer before it's all gone...

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Imperial Stout from Legend Brewing Co.