Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Barrel Hopfest | Legend Brewing Co.

3.67/5
Good

Legend Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
legendbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by esv on 06-09-2009

Reviews by PGVG:
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Hopfest
Serve a bit too cold, in a relaxed tulip glass
7% ABV
$8

A) Dark brown, ruby around the edges. Almost no head. White haze stretched across the top. No lacing.

S) Candy malt with a big floral-hop bouquet

T) Candy sweet upfront followed by woody oak-y-ness and vanilla, then washed out with big hop flavor and bitterness. The beer is well balanced. The finish is dry oak. The oak and vanilla become more dominant as the beer warms.

M) Light carbonation with a medium mouthfeel. My lips weren't terribly sticky.

D) The flavors were not as complex as I had anticipated. That said, the beer was not as drinkable as I thought is should have been.

Hopfest is listed as an APA so I listed this barrel aged as an APA but the Hopfest has such a big hop flavor and malt presence that it would seem to fit better in the IPA category.

I enjoyed the beer, but at $8 a pint, I wouldn't do it again. The live music (and no cover) made it all well worth it though. I do love legend's atmosphere.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Bourbon Barrel Hopfest from Legend Brewing Co.