Hopfest | Legend Brewing Co.

HopfestHopfest
Liked This Beer
3.77 w/ 156 ratings
HopfestHopfest

Legend Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
legendbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Legend Hopfest begins with a sturdy barley malt background including Munich and aromatic malts, as well as a few medium kilned malts producing a rich , deep orange colored beer. Step two, the hops; Hopfest sports a distinct pine/fruit aroma. Expect an intensely flavored brew, with hop flavor lasting throughout. There is a toasty, earthy background, adding a rich, malty dimension to the long finish. The end result is a full flavored IPA with a strong malt backbone and long satisfying hop finish.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-28-2003

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

2.82/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Last bottle from a rare random six pack grab when down in DC.

A- Deep copper golden body from the tall 12oz into two snifters to share this time. Foamy and frothy white crown just about one finger with fair retention. Large island and medium ring remain and lacing is rare.

S- Not really a whole lot happening and certainly not a festival of hops. Caramelized sugars, a hint of cheesy yeast and orange citrus hops. Musty.

T- As in the aroma it just lacks much character. Straightforward and what is there isn't presented optimally. Pale base graininess, light caramelized sugars, orange peel citrus, floral and floral hops.

MF- Medium bodied and a bit slick with a tiny bit of creaminess and some frothy texture. Moderately high carbonation and a bitter herbal finish.

Just kind of bland all around for an IPA. Also has some strange musty feeling that I can't quite pinpoint with malts clashing in the background.

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

Presentation: Twelve-ounce serving lovingly poured into a plastic cup.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear, deep red with a minimal off-white head. Almost no lacing to be seen. Like the porter I had, I’m not going to mark this too harshly due to the lack of actual glassware.

Smell: Citrusy and floral hops. Grassy. Yeah, that’s a boatload of grapefruit. Not remarkable, but not offensive. OK.

Taste: Did I say grapefruit? Grapefruit is the strongest note here, and this baby milks it for all it’s worth. But it’s not all that pleasant. Grapefruit would be all well and good, but this is more like biting into a nice, overripe ruby red grapefruit rind. I know there’s more here, but it’s tough to grasp other flavors through the rind. Caramel? Pine, perhaps? It’s tough to get more than a glimpse. Of course, the alcohol is somewhat easier to notice.

Mouthfeel: I’ve rarely had a beer that I would call “soapy.” This is one of them. It’s not especially bad in of itself, but I’m not impressed.

Drinkability: Moderate drinkability. This brew suffers from the overpowering grapefruit rind flavor which gets increasingly unpleasant as it’s drunk. Could be worse, but could be much better.

Notes: I’ve been told up and down not to be misled by the name of this brew. I’m a closet hophead and when I read “hopfest,” my expectations are that much higher. Perhaps in the context of Legends I am not shocked that the beer did not quite live up to its name, but I really think they should have called it something else. I’ve had very few beers that I thought were deserving of haughty and self-congratulatory names like “hop heaven” and “hopfest.” Legends hopfest is no different.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

On-tap @ Legend 02/14/07. Served in a pint glass.

A- Amber. No head, hardly any lacing. How can you pour this from the tap @ the brewery and not have a good head?

S- Grapefruit, piney/resiny. Not much malt profile.

T- Hops and more hops. Mirrors the smell. Could use more malt balance. Dry, bitter finish.

M- Fairly carbonated. Light-Medium bodied.

D- One was plenty for me. Needs more malt to balance out the hops. I compare this to Nugget Nectar. When I asked about the beer before ordering it (i've never had it before), I was simply told it's a really hoppy beer. I also inquired about the abv and was told 6 something. I have some issues with Legend's service at times, but that's for another review. I won't be seeking this out any time soon.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

First try of Legend's Hopfest.

I'm a Richmond guy, and fully support Legend (Loves me some Legend Brown!) and all other local breweries, but I'm not gonna pull any punches, here.

Lately all of Legend's offerings are tasting the same to me. AND getting really misleading with the names they are giving their brews.

I did not find "Hopfest" to be a hop fest at all. It was a VERY strong malt front end with some decent hop feel on the back end. The warmer it got, the more pronounced the malt.

Not a bad brew by any means - Just not what you would expect from the name. Strangely enough, it reminded me of a couple of their "IPA" offerings. To the point of me thinking it's just the same beer with a different label.

Would not buy again, and I'm starting to think Legend is coasting on their local rep.

3.19/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Legend

Clear copper pour with a small, wispy, white head; nothing really to mention as far as retention and lacing goes. Muted yet decent aroma of citrus/pine hops and caramel malts. Sweet caramel malt base came through first in the taste, with some citrus and pine hops coming in mid-palate, a lasting bitterness finishing off. Light-medium body. Okay, but nothing special. Still one of the better brews Legend had to offer, and that's not saying much.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Hopfest from Legend Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 66.7% out of 100 with 156 ratings